You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-03 10:55:39

vertex

I fried aurman "The 'aurman==2.19.1' distribution was not found"

So I've just returned to my workstation after some months and updated 680 packages with pacman -Syu. I already ran into several "common traps" with my installation, since I've really been out of the loop. For instance I dared to ignore the kernel (to keep zfs-linux alive) and then rebooted because of the problem below, which of course got me locked in a "switches to tty1 every 5 seconds loop, where the 'Reached target Graphical Interface' got stuck" situation. So I've just updated the kernel too and am back in Cinnamon - hence my zfs is down, but luckily it's mostly optional and not the point of this request. Apologies if I mess up basic stuff that I should be able to solve on my own or usually would know.

Now I wanted to proceed with my aur packages again, but aurman -Syu spits this out:

bash root@vex /home/vertex # aurman -Syu
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/aurman", line 6, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3254, in <module>
    def _initialize_master_working_set():
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3237, in _call_aside
    f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3266, in _initialize_master_working_set
    working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 584, in _build_master
    ws.require(__requires__)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 901, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 787, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'aurman==2.19.1' distribution was not found and is required by the application

Errr... what did I do to aurman? It doesn't like python 3.8? I made sure to read all the latest news of the past months, yet I don't reckon there's been anything regarding aurman or any packages that are associated with this? Any pointers you can give would be greatly appreciated smile

#2 2020-03-03 11:02:10

loqs

Re: I fried aurman "The 'aurman==2.19.1' distribution was not found"

Did you rebuild aurman for python 3.8?

#3 2020-03-03 11:04:55

vertex

Not yet, no. I don't remember having done that anytime in the past. Thanks for the hint - I'll look up some resource on how to do that.

/edit/ps
Oh dear, I just realize I've maneuvered myself into a really bad situation when I put the pacman cache on my zfs raid, which is now down. My system SSD is too small to hold on to that cache, since I like to hold on to past versions and don't want to clean it out every other day - I really can't do without zfs. Even tho I love arch more than any other distro I've ever used, maybe it's time to reconsider my operating system choice, because I'm always getting stuck with arch+zfs combo - even tho it's not really related to the current aurman issue. I was just looking for the aurman build directory, or maybe create one from the cached package - but since my pacman cache is down... uhm. Well done, vertex. Well done sad

Sorry for being stupid. At the moment I'm just really out of my depth, always struggling with the same arch vs zfs paradox.

Last edited by vertex (2020-03-03 11:25:30)

#4 2020-03-03 11:58:41

Lone_Wolf

Have you tried using stock kernel with dkms packages for zfs , https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ZFS#DKMS ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2020-03-03 14:22:37

vertex

I remember dwelling on that decision quite a while back when I was setting everything up, which has been 18ish months ago. While looking like a good idea, it seemed to still lead to zfs becoming unavailable under certain circumstances? Tho back then I've been bloody new to arch - maybe I got that wrong. Do you think using it as a kernel module will ease the update process a bit in the future? Now that you point it out, I will probably give it a try. Still I'll have to pick zfs-dkms vs zfs-dkms-git and I'm not sure which to chose there either - but seeing eschwartz as maintainer on zfs-dkms I'll probably go for that; plus I probably don't need the development releases.

Currently I'm completely lost. I seem to have forgotten everything since I first set up arch - I don't even remember how to build/re-install aurman, or find my way through the docs. I'll have to start reading from scratch first, so I know again what I am doing. Since August 2018 I seem to have fallen into a standard routine which didn't include the basics. Hence I can't even follow on your kind help offerings in a manner that doesn't cause you to do tiresome excurses and I don't want to waste your time. I guess if I follow the basic setup guides for arch, things should come back to me.

Btw: is it safe to transition from aurman to pacaur? Seeing it written in bash might just be one less dependency to worry about in the future. Additionally, while I feel polygamma's stance on the development for public, I'm not sure about the implications for me using it. Maybe I'm just full of crap right now - I shouldn't even try to jump to conclusions, before I got my basic understanding back.

Thanks for the directional pokes so far - very much appreciated smile

#6 2020-03-03 15:34:21

V1del
Forum Moderator

You can "transition" between AUR helpers (and in fact no AUR helpers) as you wish and please. They all use the fact that AUR packages (with the exception of aurutils) are installed as "local" rather than from a repository to identify packages that they should check for updates on.

You should never get as reliant on an AUR helper to forget how to build (and check and verify they indeed do what you think they do) AUR packages manually, which is what you should do with the aurman package to fix it's compatibility with python 3.8 . And thus you should read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository a few times until you're aware of the difference.

#7 2020-03-03 16:01:01

vertex

I plead guilty as charged. Guess that's pretty much what happened after I picked arch as my main business pc operating system and then had to just work with it every day, not getting the time to maintain properly and fortify my skillset. Tho heading into self-employment right now I hope that's finally subject to change smile

Thanks for the pointer - seems to be the right location to pick things up again and I'll make sure to re-learn the rest, too. Hate to be "that guy", you know.

#8 2020-03-03 16:29:43

eschwartz
Fellow

zfs-dkms is generally no different from zfs-linux, except that zfs-linux will prevent you from updating the kernel except at the same time as the zfs module. zfs-dkms optimistically assumes that the update will work, and tries to rebuild the module for you. This does not always succeed! During the initial linux 5.5 release, zfs-dkms would fail to rebuild.

This was noted on the AUR comments, and people put an IgnorePkg on the kernel until the situation was resolved. If you notice the module failing to build after a kernel update, you can always downgrade the kernel...

And, as of now, upstream released a kernel 5.5 fix, and I updated the zfs-dkms package with the fix in under an hour. smile

pacaur? pacaur is a hot mess that does seriously inadvisable things. It has my vote for "worst AUR helper". yaourt is better designed than pacaur.

The pacaur author was good at advertising how wonderful his code was, though, and since he also wrote incredibly *dense* code, few people had the bravery to actually try reading it for comparison. I've read it. It sucks. It deliberately goes out of its way to do bad things, which IMO is worse than doing bad things by accident. Other AUR helpers might actually fix issues if you report them, but Spyhawk made those issues *political*.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#9 2020-03-03 18:55:33

vertex

Thank you all a million - aurman is up and running, stuff is compiling in the background and arch looks alive again smile smile

Reading all the notes on the AUR article again made me blush even more tho. I valued those highly in the beginning and they enabled me to not having to ask a single question until now. Taking off and losing ground shall not happen again. On this note: thanks for not giving me a hard time for this being a total osi layer 8 issue wink

eschwartz wrote:

If you notice the module failing to build after a kernel update, you can always downgrade the kernel...

Strangest thing tho - more often than not if I downgrade the kernel, my xserver won't kick into existence after boot, reading something like "Reached target Graphical Interface" (iirc). Then switching to any other tty results in being pulled back to tty1 every 5 seconds, which makes it very hard to resolve the issue. I just never had the time to address this properly. Running Cinnamon on a GTX1060, but the login screen is handled by lxde, I believe?

eschwartz wrote:

made those issues *political*

*sigh* I can't evaluate either side currently, but I sure hope the issue is not big enough to create a rift in the community. But kinda off-topic already - if I get the time I'll read into that. For now I'm back on track and even rediscovered my old build/git directory... lol smile

Board footer