You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-11 11:35:09

xirus

let pacman say what's posted on the front page now

Every now and then there's an ugly update, or some issue with a package, that's explained in the news section of this site.

Sometimes you don't think about looking at the front page, or you're not in a gui and can't browse (if you're lynx illiterate like me wink)

I think it's not that hard to let pacman give you this information after you've installed this package. (the same way he tells you to look at a moved config file or like this kdebase info about samba)

#2 2004-02-11 13:08:38

Bobonov

Re: let pacman say what's posted on the front page now

Sometimes you don't think about looking at the front page, or you're not in a gui and can't browse (if you're lynx illiterate like me )

:shock:  I CAN'T BELIVE you do not use links for daily matters wink

Actually this is up to package mantainer doing it.
Without any kind of modify pacman can already do it.
For example open office that after the installation tell you to run the setup or lilo that remind you to run lilo.

For sure these are generic advice, upgrade advice are bit different since next time the advice should not come out.
But personally I would prefer having the message that came out each time I upgrade php, I don't know untill 5.0 ie., than having my webserver stop working because php.ini changed location.

This problem anyway is a bit particoular since your website stop working only if you made any change to the deafault php.ini, so is quite easy that this change of position was natural for the mantainer without recorgnising the consequnces.

#3 2004-02-11 13:45:26

xirus

Re: let pacman say what's posted on the front page now

This problem anyway is a bit particoular since your website stop working only if you made any change to the deafault php.ini, so is quite easy that this change of position was natural for the mantainer without recorgnising the consequnces.

well the php.ini default doesn't have mysql enabled, so most people will have changed it!

but this warning shouldn't be given all the time, if pacman would just check what version you have installed, this notice should only be given when it finds a version that will give the problem - this requires a little pacman update but I think it's for a good cause?

Board footer