You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-14 19:51:13

xala

How to remove systemd and not break Archlinux

I hate systemd mainly because its heavy i have MX running on my other laptop with the same amount of stuff installed on it and since it doesn't have systemd installed it is actually lot faster. I want to remove systemd but It breaks the entire Distro so i need to first setup the alternatives for systemd-udev systemd-login and other important stuff so that it doesn't take me to rootfs if i uninstall systemd. But how do u do that what alternatives can i use and how . Can someone pleas help me out I really want to remove systemd .

ps: I will delete this post afterwords.

#2 2020-03-14 19:57:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: How to remove systemd and not break Archlinux

xala wrote:

ps: I will delete this post afterwords.

Why on earth would you do that?  That's selfish, parasitic, and not welcome here.

As to the actual question, you can relatively easily run other init systems, but completely removing systemd will be very hard if not impossible.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-03-14 20:00:22

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

xala wrote:

I will delete this post afterwords.

No, you won't: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … way_street

Last edited by jasonwryan (2020-03-14 20:00:37)

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2020-03-15 07:44:39

seth

since it doesn't have systemd installed it is actually lot faster

What you have measured exactly how?

As Trilby mentioned, it's trivial to replace the init daemon, but removing systemd is going to be a pita just for the package dependencies.
And there's a *very* good chance that systemd is not the source of your performance issues (aside boot times) at all.

#5 2020-03-15 11:21:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

xala wrote:

i have MX running on my other laptop with the same amount of stuff installed on it and since it doesn't have systemd installed it is actually lot faster.

MX Linux also has systemd installed. If you check the "Advanced Options" GRUB sub-menu then you will find an entry allowing you to boot with systemd as PID1. So this is clearly a case of confirmation bias.

To run Arch with alternative init systems see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Init

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2020-03-15 11:22:14)

Board footer