You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-15 16:22:01

Skaper
Member
Registered: 2020-03-02
Posts: 20

Hello everyone! How can I set a 24-hour clock on KDE Plasma?

I installed Arch on my main machine (Goodbye Win10; for now) after trying it out multiple times on VirtualBox. I looked at the Wiki and couldn't find the method anywhere. I would prefer to do it via the command line. I believe it has to do with the locale section of the installation manual, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Hears what I tried;
When I searched for time in the setting menu of Plasma I found formats section, under which if I change my region to "United States (osa_US)" it seems to change it to the 24 hour format but I'm worried if this would affect the system in anyway.
Could someone explain what 'osa' means and if there's a way to do it via the command line.


I like to do things a certain way, even if there's a simpler solution available. (No one will hire me, I know.)

Offline

#2 2020-03-15 20:49:39

Wild Penguin
Member
Registered: 2015-03-19
Posts: 406

Re: Hello everyone! How can I set a 24-hour clock on KDE Plasma?

Why do you need to do it from the command line? Is there a specific place where you need the 24hour clock but wish to retain some other locale-specific (12h) clock display elsewhere?

AFAIK the locale setting just chooses a different way of displaying stuff (time in this case). Changing the locale should have no ill effects anywhere (that being said, there can be weird bugs with badly written software, such as scripts which are expecting a certain kind of output from command, but fail because of a different kind of output because of user set locale).

While I believe you can tweak most of the setting in a Plasma DE from the command line, what would be the point? It is a GUI to begin with. I believe the qdbus interface could be the key here (or not?). Or, you could look where the locale settings are stored (in the user home dir) and change them from the command line. That will not be applied until the user logs in again.

I believe maybe you are looking for a wrong (too specific) solution to some other problem, you have not told here / formulated properly.

You can run any command from the command line with a different locale (or parts of the locale) by prepending the command with the environment variable in question (but maybe you already knew that and this is not what you need...).

Offline

#3 2020-03-15 22:05:54

wirefox
Member
Registered: 2020-03-02
Posts: 9

Re: Hello everyone! How can I set a 24-hour clock on KDE Plasma?

Skaper wrote:

I installed Arch on my main machine (Goodbye Win10; for now) after trying it out multiple times on VirtualBox. I looked at the Wiki and couldn't find the method anywhere. I would prefer to do it via the command line. I believe it has to do with the locale section of the installation manual, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Hears what I tried;
When I searched for time in the setting menu of Plasma I found formats section, under which if I change my region to "United States (osa_US)" it seems to change it to the 24 hour format but I'm worried if this would affect the system in anyway.
Could someone explain what 'osa' means and if there's a way to do it via the command line.

Right click clock- select configure digital clock- Appearance> Time Display

Offline

#4 2020-03-16 05:28:41

Skaper
Member
Registered: 2020-03-02
Posts: 20

Re: Hello everyone! How can I set a 24-hour clock on KDE Plasma?

wirefox wrote:

Right click clock- select configure digital clock- Appearance> Time Display

Thank you!


I like to do things a certain way, even if there's a simpler solution available. (No one will hire me, I know.)

Offline

#5 2020-03-16 05:45:03

Skaper
Member
Registered: 2020-03-02
Posts: 20

Re: Hello everyone! How can I set a 24-hour clock on KDE Plasma?

Wild Penguin wrote:

Why do you need to do it from the command line? Is there a specific place where you need the 24hour clock but wish to retain some other locale-specific (12h) clock display elsewhere?

AFAIK the locale setting just chooses a different way of displaying stuff (time in this case). Changing the locale should have no ill effects anywhere (that being said, there can be weird bugs with badly written software, such as scripts which are expecting a certain kind of output from command, but fail because of a different kind of output because of user set locale).

While I believe you can tweak most of the setting in a Plasma DE from the command line, what would be the point? It is a GUI to begin with. I believe the qdbus interface could be the key here (or not?). Or, you could look where the locale settings are stored (in the user home dir) and change them from the command line. That will not be applied until the user logs in again.

I believe maybe you are looking for a wrong (too specific) solution to some other problem, you have not told here / formulated properly.

You can run any command from the command line with a different locale (or parts of the locale) by prepending the command with the environment variable in question (but maybe you already knew that and this is not what you need...).

I think you're right. I'm trying too hard on this. I figured since I installed everything using the command line, I might as well learn how to change the clock using it. Could come in handy as it wouldn't matter which distro I install, I could just start a terminal session and make the necessary changes. Installing Arch has taught me so much about GNU/Linux. I plan on continuing to learn.

Also, I think KDE Plasma is too bloated. It's a really good DE (my favorite) but after installing the kde-applications group I have so many unnecessary programs on my system which defeats the purpose of Arch altogether. I should have selected only the ones I needed during installation.


I like to do things a certain way, even if there's a simpler solution available. (No one will hire me, I know.)

Offline

#6 2020-03-16 07:54:42

Wild Penguin
Member
Registered: 2015-03-19
Posts: 406

Re: Hello everyone! How can I set a 24-hour clock on KDE Plasma?

Skaper wrote:

Also, I think KDE Plasma is too bloated. It's a really good DE (my favorite) but after installing the kde-applications group I have so many unnecessary programs on my system which defeats the purpose of Arch altogether. I should have selected only the ones I needed during installation.

Plasma is also my choice of DE. It indeed comes with a lot of stuff per default, and may seem bloated that way. Using the meta packages is completely optional, however. You can also choose on a one-by-one case what to install (at least in Arch). Some other distributions may not offer this customizability. There's even a more minimal installation (plasma-desktop).

Also, it is not bloated in the sense it's memory footprint is quite low compared to other contemporary DEs.

So, IMHO it is a bit unfair to call it bloated. If you don't want the extra applications, don't install them (it should compare quite well in disk usage to a DE which has none to begin with, however comparisons would be interesting). If you want low memory footprint, well, you already got a quite low one.

Offline

#7 2020-03-16 10:09:44

Escarina
Member
Registered: 2020-03-07
Posts: 4

Re: Hello everyone! How can I set a 24-hour clock on KDE Plasma?

I see you are new to Arch so if you wanna figure out how this locale thing work i can point you to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale
most date related stuff depends on the config there.

Greetz and Welcome to the Arch Family

Offline

#8 2020-03-16 10:14:43

Skaper
Member
Registered: 2020-03-02
Posts: 20

Re: Hello everyone! How can I set a 24-hour clock on KDE Plasma?

Escarina wrote:

Greetz and Welcome to the Arch Family

Thank you! Love the experience so far. Looking forward to learning more.


I like to do things a certain way, even if there's a simpler solution available. (No one will hire me, I know.)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB