You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-17 04:59:29

phoenix23
Member
Registered: 2020-03-17
Posts: 5

[SOLVED] Was connecting to wifi, but now wpa_supplicant says psk wrong

Just got a new laptop (Asus TUF FX505DU-WB72 with a Realtek RTL8822CE wireless adapter). I shrunk Windows 10, booted up the Arch ISO (archlinux-2020.03.01-x86_64.iso), and followed the installation guide through to the end.

At the beginning of setup, I used wpa_supplicant (specifically the wpa_cli instructions from the wpa_supplicant wiki page) to connect to my wifi network. Everything went fine while booted from the ISO. After installing Arch, I rebooted into the newly installed OS and realized I hadn't installed wpa_supplicant, so I rebooted to the ISO and was again able to connect to my wifi just fine. I mounted the new install, chrooted, and installed wpa_supplicant.

After rebooting back to the newly installed OS, I could no longer connect to wifi. Specifically, wpa_cli told me

WPA: 4-Way Handshake failed - pre-shared key may be incorrect

I booted back into the ISO, and now I can no longer connect to my wifi from the ISO either.

Windows 10 and the Xubuntu 19.10 ISO can both connect to my wifi without issue.

I don't even know where the problem might be. The driver seems to be fine. The NIC's hardware is working fine, since it connects under other OSes. Anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Last edited by phoenix23 (2020-03-17 20:07:06)

Offline

#2 2020-03-17 07:00:02

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,009

Re: [SOLVED] Was connecting to wifi, but now wpa_supplicant says psk wrong

Make sure you really shut down windows (the default is to hibernate) - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … ibernation
If you've access to the router, check whether there's a pending lease for the MAC

If your environment allows it, you could also try to disable the encryption and see whether you can connect, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … cess_point to test the general functionality.

If the above is inconclusive, please post the complete wpa I/O (everything you enter and all the output)

Offline

#3 2020-03-17 19:02:59

phoenix23
Member
Registered: 2020-03-17
Posts: 5

Re: [SOLVED] Was connecting to wifi, but now wpa_supplicant says psk wrong

I disabled hibernation in Windows and deleted my DHCP lease in the router. Not sure which fixed it, but I now have a working Arch install that connects to wifi. Thanks!

Offline

#4 2020-03-17 19:55:06

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,009

Re: [SOLVED] Was connecting to wifi, but now wpa_supplicant says psk wrong

Great.
Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB