You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-23 21:38:55

AdvancedGans25

[SOLVED] Screen with cuts in frames while browsing the web

Ultra noob where btw xd
I install Arch, for like the 4th time now, and I have a xorg server running i3, and every single time, when I try to browse the web using firefox there are cuts in the frames while scrolling up and down. I cant figure out why...
I read a lot trying to find a solution but nothing seems to work.
I have tried install drivers for my graphic card (nvidia gtx 1070), install intel-unicode, install all the codecs that seemed like it could help and it just keeps cutting the frames...

Any ideas of how to fix it?

Last edited by AdvancedGans25 (2020-03-24 20:12:53)

#2 2020-03-23 22:32:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Screen with cuts in frames while browsing the web

AdvancedGans25 wrote:

What exactly have you tried?  This?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-03-23 22:54:38

AdvancedGans25

Trilby wrote:
AdvancedGans25 wrote:

What exactly have you tried?  This?

That basically just disables the smooth scrolling. So yes, with that function disable, there are no cuts but it looks kinda clunky.
I think that I should be able to use the smooth scrolling option... I don't see the reason why it doesn't work...
Is there something else that I can do?

Thanks for answer!

Last edited by AdvancedGans25 (2020-03-23 22:55:18)

#4 2020-03-23 22:57:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Yeah, there are a lot of other things you could do, and you claimed to have tried a lot of them - but we don't know which ones you've tried and haven't, which is precisely why I asked you to list what you have don.

It'd be pointless to go through all options one by one wasting our time and patience just because you don't want to take the time to describe what you've done already.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-03-23 23:19:13

AdvancedGans25

You're right!
Well,
First I thought it might be a drivers issue so I install the drives that are recommended for my  system, I have a nvidia geforce GTX 1070 and i7-7700k , so i installed the nvidia package and intel-unicode. Didn't make a difference.
After that after reading a bit online on some forum I didn't find anyone with a similar problem, so I tried to see if there was any piece of software that could help (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/li … plications). After seeing that, I thought that might help to install the packages aom, gst-plugins-good, icedtea-web, gst-libav, jre8-openjdk, xorg-server-xvfb and I also installed mpv e vlc because I saw somewhere that they have some dependencies that could help since it deals a lot with graphics and rendering...
And that was basically it, I didn't find anyone with a similar problem so I was basically winging it.

I understand that this as probably a completely different solution that what I was going for but I a really have no clue. I am new to this so, I apologize for my ignorance.

Last edited by AdvancedGans25 (2020-03-23 23:29:31)

#6 2020-03-23 23:45:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

AdvancedGans25 wrote:

... and intel-unicode

This is the second time you mentioned this.  The first time I assumed it was a typo and you meant intel-ucode, but now I'm not sure as that has nothing to do with intel graphics.  Please post actual commands and config files, not vague descriptions, to outline how you've configured your hybrid graphics.  Did you follow this page?

#7 2020-03-24 01:14:14

AdvancedGans25

Yes, I meant intel-ucode.
No, I had not followed that guided. I did and it worked...
I just had to enable the graphic card on the kernel.
I just think it is a little bit weird, shouldn't my processor be able to handle web browsing?
Anyway, thanks for the help! I was really lost.

#8 2020-03-24 02:11:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I don't know what you mean by "my processor be able to handle web browsing".  Your "processor" handled it just fine, your computer didn't overheat or shut down, right?  But graphics were not displayed properly because you hadn't properly configured your graphics drivers, it's as simple as that.

The page I pointed you to should have been followed when you initially installed arch.  What documentation did you follow when you installed your system?

#9 2020-03-24 02:29:23

AdvancedGans25

Ah, yes that makes sense.
I followed https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
I didn't see anything about how to configure the graphic card. I might have missed it, but I am pretty sure I didn't.

#10 2020-03-24 02:34:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you went on to the general recommendations and followed the section on installing a graphical interface (which apparently you did) you would have been on the Xorg page which starts with driver installation.

#11 2020-03-24 07:02:49

seth

Tearing can happen for a whole host of reasons - all resulting in your GPU not updating the scanout buffer in sync w/ your screen.
Please post your xorg log and the outputs of "loginctl session-status", "xrandr -q" and "glxinfo"

Also elaborate on the "cuts in the frames while scrolling up and down" (tearing splits the screen into an upper and a lower section, never left and right. Also it's important whether there's one or multiple tear lines and whether they're in a static position or jump across the screen)

#12 2020-03-24 12:45:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Seth, does any of that matter if the OP never installed / configured their graphical drivers but doing so resolved the issue?

#13 2020-03-24 13:15:08

seth

Not if the issue is actually resolved (where I'm not sure it is?)

#14 2020-03-24 19:45:36

AdvancedGans25

Trilby wrote:

If you went on to the general recommendations and followed the section on installing a graphical interface (which apparently you did) you would have been on the Xorg page which starts with driver installation.

I didn't follow the general recommendations part. That isn't part of the installations guide.
I had Arco Linux before and it configures all of this automatically so, I really had no idea.
I just followed some scuffed tutorial on how to install i3 and that was it. It is my bad. I should had followed the "General Recommendations" part  as well.

Seth wrote:

Tearing can happen for a whole host of reasons - all resulting in your GPU not updating the scanout buffer in sync w/ your screen.
Please post your xorg log and the outputs of "loginctl session-status", "xrandr -q" and "glxinfo"

Also elaborate on the "cuts in the frames while scrolling up and down" (tearing splits the screen into an upper and a lower section, never left and right. Also it's important whether there's one or multiple tear lines and whether they're in a static position or jump across the screen)

The cuts were splits horizontally across the screen, and they were not in static position they jumped up and down.

seth wrote:

Not if the issue is actually resolved (where I'm not sure it is?)

Yes, the issued is resolved. I didn't have the GPU well configured. I just follow the guide indicated by mister Trilby, and it start working normally.

Thank you for trying to help anyway. Feels good to know that people are supportive around here.

#15 2020-03-24 20:09:56

seth

Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

#16 2020-03-24 20:15:04

AdvancedGans25

seth wrote:

Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

Done!
I didn't know. I though mods, or something of that sort would do it. Sorry.

Board footer