You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-26 19:32:23

sigvald

Gnome looks weird after system upgrade on VirtualBox

Dear community,                                                                 

I run Arch Linux with Gnome on VirtualBox 6.1.4r136177 on a Windows 10 host. Until recently, the graphics worked just fine. The resolution updated on-the-fly as I resized the VirtualBox window, and I had 1920x1080x60 resolution at full-screen. In VirtualBox, I use VMSVGA with 3D acceleration, and I have installed guest additions from the ISO that comes bundled with VirtualBox (the one from pacman did not work. See ArchWiki).

However, when I did pacman -Syyuu (which amongst others downloaded Gnome 3.36) the graphics turned all weird, as you can see here, here and here. The graphics isn't like this when I first log in, but turns this way when the resolution changes because I resize the VirtualBox window. I first suspected the VirtualBox guest additions, so I re-installed them without success, and eventually uninstalled them all together. I noticed, however, that this also happens when the screen turns back on after I have left the computer for long enough for the screen to go black, even without guest additions installed. I think this rules out the guest additions, and my suspicion now is that it is somehow related to VirtualBox and graphics drivers, or perhaps Gnome. It does not matter whether I run Gnome on Xorg or Wayland.

I also briefly tested it with VBoxSVGA instead of VMSVGA, and that appeared to not have this issue (though I could perhaps have tested it a bit longer to be sure), but the smoothness when changing desktops etc. in Gnome is not present in VBoxSVGA. I would also like to have 3D acceleration just for the sake of it. I can also mention that before this upgrade I could run glxgears and it would output 60 FPS, whereas now it is much more variable and in the order of hundreds.

Any help debugging this one appreciated.                                           

Kind regards,                                                                       
Sigvald

Last edited by sigvald (2020-03-26 19:37:08)

#2 2020-03-27 10:10:40

sigvald

Re: Gnome looks weird after system upgrade on VirtualBox

I may add that I now tried to use Xmonad instead of Gnome, and there's no problem in Xmonad.

#3 2020-03-27 12:23:33

sigvald

I may add that while Xmonad seems to work, glxgears reports in the hundreds of FPS, so I suppose 3D acceleration is broken (there most likely is better ways to debug this than glxgears, but I am knowledgeable neither about graphics nor drivers).

#4 2020-03-27 13:08:17

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

sigvald, please do not serial post (post again if no one has replied to your previous post) -- instead, edit your post to add more information.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

Board footer