You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-26 21:24:23

p0llard

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7 - Getting all four speakers working

I've followed exactly the advice currently on the wiki, but I'm unable to get the all the speakers to fire correctly: if Speaker is muted is alsamixer, only the bottom speakers fire; if it is unmuted, all speakers fire, but the audio is very tinny; muting Bass Speaker stops the bottom speakers firing under any circumstances.

I've tried following the advice in this post, but this didn't seem to have any effect.

Has anyone managed to get this working?

#2 2020-04-03 20:59:11

juphu2Va

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7 - Getting all four speakers working

I'm currently using the lts kernel, there still everything is fine with my X1 Yoga 4

#3 2020-04-04 07:49:41

slapmefive

Just tried on the LTS kernel on my X1 Carbon 7th to no success.

The latest LTS kernel is 5.4.30, but the configuration outlined on the X1C7 wiki requires 5.5.7-arch1-1 or newer.

I also have the same issue as p0llard and eagerly looking for a proper solution too

#4 2020-04-05 07:30:36

fistrosan

I solved a similar issue just yesterday with my Len X1 Carbon 7th Gen. Maybe what i did can help you. I had absolutely zero speakers working and now they seem to be ok. Just like you did I followed the wiki, but it did not work.

My problem was that I added these two lines :

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0 channels=4
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,6 channels=4

Into a brand new /etc/pulse/default.pa, because there was none existing. In fact they should have been added into /etc/pulse/default.pacnew.pa. If .pacnew.pa is not there to begin with, try removing alsa and then installing it again (pacman -R, pacman -S) and see if default.pacnew.pa appears. This file is full of stuff (variables, commands to load kernel modules and whatnot). Just add the two lines above at the end of default.pacman.new (copy it also as default.pa just in case) and reboot. That is what I did and it worked. It was mostly trial an error. Let me know if it works for you.

p0llard wrote:

I've followed exactly the advice currently on the wiki, but I'm unable to get the all the speakers to fire correctly: if Speaker is muted is alsamixer, only the bottom speakers fire; if it is unmuted, all speakers fire, but the audio is very tinny; muting Bass Speaker stops the bottom speakers firing under any circumstances.

I've tried following the advice in this post, but this didn't seem to have any effect.

Has anyone managed to get this working?

Board footer