You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-25 14:31:57

Back2Cali

what about the community?

Hi!

After reading a couple of posts I finally decided to put the 64bit version to my new machine. It really does great since 2 days now.
But I've got a question for which I couldn't find a straight answer. As far as I see, almost everything from current and extra that can be used with the arch64 is already recompiled. But still the whole community repo is missing. So I questioned myself if there's a chance that the repo will be available for the arch64 using people? I couldn't find any hint about the future plans and if or when the community repo will be added....
Does anybody know something about it?

Thanks!

#2 2006-09-25 15:26:24

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: what about the community?

#3 2006-09-25 16:21:07

Back2Cali

I've already read this one, but it doesn't give me a clue how the current status is.
I also addad the temporary community64 Server to my pacman.conf, but there are still around 50 Packages missing that I've been using wit the 32 bit version.
If I had more time, I would start building those packages, but I've chosen arch over gentoo mainly because the fact that I don't have to compile everything.....

That's why I'm interested in the current status of the community repo...  wink

#4 2006-09-25 16:43:34

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

There will definitely be a community repo for Arch64. Its status is: In Progress. I don't know when it will be ready. The problem is that very few TU have a 64 bits machine so it is a lot of work to do the initial port of the ~1000 community packages. Plus, there are compilation and other various problems. There was a big boost in the end of AUgust:
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/tur- … 03172.html
since then not much news. I guess they got busy or something.  If you really need these packages, you might be better compiling them yourself. Report any modifications you needed to do. It will help them when they'll restart building. If you have problems, ask for help in the forum.

Board footer