You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-29 11:17:35

Razer(x)

Monitor cacking sound after some time

Using a monitor with in built speaker as audio output, after sometimes it starts cracking, and i have to kill and restart pulseaudio to make it work again

What could be causing the issue? bitrate?

Last edited by Razer(x) (2020-03-29 11:37:38)

#2 2020-03-29 15:17:43

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Monitor cacking sound after some time

How does the audio get to the monitor?   Separate audio cables?  with HDMI video?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2020-03-29 16:47:54

Razer(x)

ewaller wrote:

How does the audio get to the monitor?   Separate audio cables?  with HDMI video?

From the GPU via Displayport cable

#4 2020-03-29 18:55:10

Wild Penguin

I seem to get some occasional consistent crackling + hissing + squaking/whistling (the last component of the distortion is difficult to describe) problem in those seldom times, when I want to use my monitor speakers. The audio is still there, just severely distorted in a consistent way. It will go away (well, not always but more often does than doesn't), if I change the audio output away from the monitor and back. Also using DisplayPort, and amdgpu. I haven't investigated any further since I actually don't need the display speakers (I've done this just for testing and for some weird temporary needs I won't go further here). I've reproduced this with different monitors.

It sounds almost exactly like opening a raw audio file in an audio editor with wrong settings, i.e. signed 16-bit as non-signed or something - it's been a long time since I played around with raw audio files (this was back when Win3.11 and 95 were popular, and I was examining some sample files in some games - since then almost anything seems to use audio files with headers; or perhaps the files were proprietary and I had somehow ripped the raw sample data; I don't remember as that was a long time ago smile ).

But based on that, my (long-shot) guess is: the driver (whoever is responsible for the audio part in the GPU driver) is negotiating a different kind of sample format with the display compared to what is actually being fed to the output (to the display). I.e. it is a bug, in case you have the same issue. In my case I think I'm fairly certain it is not a faulty cable, however generally a bad cable (or a faulty connector) is certainly a possibility. I'm not familiar at all with the sample formats the DP protocol uses, so this is really a long-shot guess.

Last edited by Wild Penguin (2020-03-29 19:03:54)

#5 2020-04-03 11:04:07

Razer(x)

Wild Penguin wrote:

I seem to get some occasional consistent crackling + hissing + squaking/whistling (the last component of the distortion is difficult to describe) problem in those seldom times, when I want to use my monitor speakers. The audio is still there, just severely distorted in a consistent way. It will go away (well, not always but more often does than doesn't), if I change the audio output away from the monitor and back. Also using DisplayPort, and amdgpu. I haven't investigated any further since I actually don't need the display speakers (I've done this just for testing and for some weird temporary needs I won't go further here). I've reproduced this with different monitors.

It sounds almost exactly like opening a raw audio file in an audio editor with wrong settings, i.e. signed 16-bit as non-signed or something - it's been a long time since I played around with raw audio files (this was back when Win3.11 and 95 were popular, and I was examining some sample files in some games - since then almost anything seems to use audio files with headers; or perhaps the files were proprietary and I had somehow ripped the raw sample data; I don't remember as that was a long time ago smile ).

But based on that, my (long-shot) guess is: the driver (whoever is responsible for the audio part in the GPU driver) is negotiating a different kind of sample format with the display compared to what is actually being fed to the output (to the display). I.e. it is a bug, in case you have the same issue. In my case I think I'm fairly certain it is not a faulty cable, however generally a bad cable (or a faulty connector) is certainly a possibility. I'm not familiar at all with the sample formats the DP protocol uses, so this is really a long-shot guess.

I think i fixed it changing the scheduling as stated in the pulseaudio section of archwiki

Board footer