You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-04 13:25:08

definitellynotspammer

Arch Linux does not install mime types from .desktop file

so basically I installed this package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/enpass-bin/

Looking at it's contents, this is the "/usr/share/applications/enpass.desktop" file which is installed on the system:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Enpass
Name[en_IN]=Enpass
GenericName=Enpass Password Manager
Icon=enpass
Icon[en_IN]=enpass
Terminal=false
Exec=/opt/enpass/Enpass %U
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/enpassauth;x-scheme-handler/enpasscard;x-scheme-handler/enpassstart;x-scheme-handler/enpass;x-scheme-handler/cloudkit-7adb8cc6tf.in.sinew.walletx;application/enpasscard;
Categories=Utility

Now I need "enpassauth" mime type, but it doesn't exist on the system.

Can anyone guide me or point me to the right direction on what is wrong with my system?

P.S. I installed sublime text too, and both applications (enpass-bin and sublime-text) doesn't show icons in whiskermenu, yet those icons exists on the system.

EDIT: Regarding "but it doesn't exist on the system." - my browser (google chrome) tries to open URL that starts with "enpassauth://" and I expect Enpass to be opened, but instead it shows error "Failed to open URL".

EDIT 2: Ignore part about missing icons. Unrelated issue...

Last edited by definitellynotspammer (2020-04-04 13:35:42)

#2 2020-04-04 13:28:24

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Arch Linux does not install mime types from .desktop file

That means that the program will handle those mime types, it doesn't create the types themselves. See /usr/share/mime/packages/

#3 2020-04-04 13:37:28

definitellynotspammer

Scimmia wrote:

That means that the program will handle those mime types, it doesn't create the types themselves. See /usr/share/mime/packages/

Hi. There is a file "application-enpass.xml" with the following content:

<mime-info xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info">
  <mime-type type="application/enpasscard">
    <comment>Enpass Sharing File</comment>
    <glob pattern="*.enpasscard"/>
  </mime-type>
</mime-info>

And yes, "application/enpasscard" is there, but how about these mime types? How can I register them from pkgbuild as well as manually?

MimeType=x-scheme-handler/enpassauth;x-scheme-handler/enpasscard;x-scheme-handler/enpassstart;x-scheme-handler/enpass;x-scheme-handler/cloudkit-7adb8cc6tf.in.sinew.walletx;application/enpasscard;

#4 2020-04-04 15:37:19

Lone_Wolf

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XD … plications

Packages/PKGBUILDS are supposed to put the files in the correct location and let pacman hooks take care of updating the mime database.

Are desktop-file-utils and shared-mime-info installed on your system ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2020-04-05 05:45:55

eschwartz
Fellow

Scimmia wrote:

Actually no.

For "application/foo" style mime types, the /usr/share/mime/packages specifications contain rules determining how disk files identify themselves as the "application/foo" mimetype when inspected, and the desktop files in /usr/share/applications/ contain rules specifying whether to open a string which is identified as "application/foo". Without a mime package to make files identify as "application/foo", it's a bit useless for a desktop file to say you can open them.

But this ONLY applies to "application/foo" style types. This user wants to open the enpassauth mime type, and the pasted desktop file matches that as such:

x-scheme-handler/enpassauth

An x-scheme-handler does not get a mime package, instead it is detected by exact matches on the left-hand side of a URI "://"

e.g.

enpassauth://

@definitellynotspammer,

As Lone_Wolf asked, do you have the desktop-file-utils package installed? it contains the program and pacman hook which is supposed to create /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache, where known "x-scheme-handler" entries are stored. If it isn't listed in mimeinfo.cache then the enpassauth:// mimetype doesn't exist as far as your system is concerned.

Last edited by eschwartz (2020-04-05 05:46:17)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer