You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-05 10:32:57

hakunamenta

Artifacts and crashes when using OpenGL with System76 Darter Pro

I migrated my system to new hardware a few month ago.
Since then I get strange graphical artefacts in some applications like Steam or Chromium; Screenshot:
Screenshot-20200405-102615.png
Waterfox is not affected. Qt-based applications are mostly unaffected but there is a problem with scrolling up (scrolled buffer shows some lines multiple times)
These stripes appear always but the size and position depends on the window size / resolution. For some applications just resizing the window fixes them. For others they only flicker when moving the cursor. To fix this i tried some of the recommendation in the wiki article for intel graphics and it went away when uninstalling xf86-video-intel . unfortunately i still get crashes for some games like CivV irrespective of the installed driver.

Another, possibly related problem i have with xf86-video-intel is, that after xorg is started the vt becomes black except for the cursor. switching the vt fixes this until the next start of xorg.
Any ideas what the cause of these problems might be? The artefacts are mildly annoying but not terrible. The crashes on the other hand are really weird because I do not get useful errors at all.

Software:
testing/linux 5.6.2.arch1-2
extra/mesa 20.0.4-1
extra/xf86-video-intel 1:2.99.917+899+gf66d3954-1 (xorg-drivers) removed to avoid artefacts

Hardware:
- Intel Corporation UHD Graphics (rev 02)
- eDP connected panel (though external monitors show the same artifacts)

Errors so far:
- CivV Segfaults (!?)
- Alien Swarm (uses source engine) shows only a black window/screen (but sound works)
- Steam has glitches in UI and notifications fixed by removing xf86-video-intel
- Chromium has glitches (see screenshot) fixed by removing xf86-video-intel
- Konsole can not scroll up without duplicating the lines in the output (scrolling down works fine) fixed by removing xf86-video-intel
- Xorg only draws cursor after launch fixed by removing xf86-video-intel

Last edited by hakunamenta (2020-04-05 11:20:47)

#2 2020-04-05 10:51:09

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Artifacts and crashes when using OpenGL with System76 Darter Pro

Get rid of xf86-video-intel (and configurations for it) it's generally known for issues like these.  One thing that might come in addition currently is the fact that mesa uses a new OpenGL implementation on modern intels, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ver_(i965) for how to force the use of the older implementation.

#3 2020-04-05 11:22:17

hakunamenta

Thank you for the quick reply, V1del. I updated the first post to show what difference removing the intel video driver made. unfortunately the crashes seem to be caused by something else.

#4 2020-04-05 15:57:28

V1del
Forum Moderator

Post terminal outputs of the remaining affected programs, and if these really are segfaults you should have coredumps to examine .

#5 2020-04-07 03:36:31

hakunamenta

In the case of CivV it seemed to be a known problem with the binc player (used for the intro videos) segfaulting. renaming all the .mov files helped with that. still no idea what the problem with alien swarm is.

#6 2020-04-13 09:19:54

hakunamenta

Just to update this: I also set MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=i965 because it got rid of some other minor artefact in firefox (patchy highlighting in drop down menus). In the case of Alien Swarm i found no solution because it uses proton and can not be easily followed with strace sad

Board footer