You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-07 06:18:54

moyam01

Installation fails to generate initramfs image for booting to grub.

Hello,

Installing arch on new machine.  Using UEFI setup, with linux-lts kernel.

running:

mkinitcpio -p linux-lts

in chroot produces no output. Reinstalling the linux-lts package using pacman which re-installs the kernel, but the initial boot image is not being generated.

Any help or direction that can be provided would be helpful.

Background:
Using the latest installation wiki.
First noticed when the machine would hang after the grub screen on 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
Rebooted and in grub noticed that there is no line starting with initrd starting the system image, only the loading of the AMD u-code (amd-ucode.img),
Checked the boot directory and saw that there wasn't any initramfs images. The only image in there is the AMD microcode.

[EDIT UPDATE]
Opened /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-lts.preset, and saw that the file is empty. Could someone post their default file contents?

[EDIT UPDATE 2]
Found a page containing the contents of linux-lts preset, however because it's from the AUR, I decided not to use it as i cannot find a similar page in the core repositories:
AUR page link found here.

Made a initramfs image by running the following command:

mkinitcpio -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-lts.img -k 5.4.30-1-lts 

Updated GRUB:

# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg 

And boot failed. Missing /sbin/init. Figured out this should be a link to systemd, but it was not created. used pacstrap to reinstall base, linux-lts, linux-firmware, vim, and pacman
Made sure all other configurable in install remained (hostname, /etc/hosts.conf, etc.)

Re-generated initramfs as stated above and re-configured grub,
... AND SUCESS!

Contents of linux-lts,presets still missing. How do I submit a bug report for the missing info in /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-lts.presets?

I am trying to find the package that installs this file (I believe it is linux-lts) but want to be sure before I submit a bug report. After I submit report I'll mark it solved.
Any help would be useful.

Thanks,
moyam01

Last edited by moyam01 (2020-04-07 17:43:30)

Board footer