You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-09 16:57:14

Cvlc

[SOLVED] Plymouth: not showing on boot or with --show-splash

Hi !

I recently installed Arch with an encrypted root (LUKS, no LVM), and I am trying to get plymouth to work (no sucess..)

I have

• installed plymouth / gdm-plymouth / plymouth-theme-arch from AUR

• modified mkinitcpio.conf as follows

HOOKS=(base systemd sd-plymouth autodetect keyboard sd-vconsole modconf block sd-encrypt filesystems fsck)
  • added

quiet splash loglevel=3 rd.udev.log_priority=3 vt.global_cursor_default=0

to kernel command line

• Enabled gdm-plymouth service. set the theme with -R option to regenerate initramfs

The computed boots to the regular LUKS prompt. If I press ESC the screen toggles between the prompt and some kind of plymouth fallback grey theme.
running plymouth --show-splash as root with the daemon running just brings up the gdm login screen.

The wiki says to not use plymouth-encrypt hook with systemd but I wonder if that shouldn't be there. I also tried plymouth from git.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

[SOLUTION]

I am using EFISTUB and it turns out that the new kernel parameters set by efibootmgr weren't taken into account.... Just found out that I have to boot to the UEFI menu and lauch from there once, before the EFI entry is updated with the new parameters.... so tried installing Plymouth again, and it now works perfectly !

Last edited by Cvlc (2020-05-17 17:11:41)

Board footer