You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-27 16:45:35

cogo
Website

Kernel panic after last upgrade

Just did a pacman -Syu and then a pacman -S kernel26 and after a reboot it says:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Anyone who can help med fix this? Is there a special cd I can download and boot from so I can go through the configuration settings?

edit: I am using GRUB ... is there something I can specify before booting to get things to work?

#2 2006-09-27 17:17:12

byte

Re: Kernel panic after last upgrade

Have you read and followed the instructions you got when upgrading your kernel?
For booting tell grub to use the kernel26-fallback initrd image.

#3 2006-09-27 17:23:11

cogo
Website

byte wrote:

Have you read and followed the instructions you got when upgrading your kernel?

I thought I did, but apparently I missed something.

byte wrote:

For booting tell grub to use the kernel26-fallback initrd image.

I am not that familiar with grub. Could you explain how I can do that or maybe give me an url where it says how?

edit: Found something about this on http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Initrd ... will try that now. smile

#4 2006-09-27 17:30:08

byte

On the grub screen just type 'e', select and edit the initrd line from kernel26.img to kernel26-fallback.img and 'b'oot.

#5 2006-09-27 17:31:12

cogo
Website

Just did what it says on the url in my previous post but the info that I have seems correct...

root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda3 ro
initrd /boot/initrd26-full.img

Does the fallback image have another name maybe?

edit: Oops. Did not see your post before I posted. smile Will try what you said now...
edit2: I do not have a file called initrd26-fallback.img

#6 2006-09-27 18:10:42

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Please pay more attention to pacman output.  It has been mentioned for the past... month or so that initrd will no longer be used.

See this wiki page on what you need to do now: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio

#7 2006-09-27 18:40:24

cogo
Website

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#GRUB

That is almost like my configuration... I am kinda confused since it says vmlinuz26 somewhere and kernel26 elsewhere...

I guess I will have to do more than just edit the GRUB stuff here. Could you give me a hint on where I shall start? Do I have to grab an archlinux image and boot from the cd and then start to fix things?

#8 2006-09-27 18:54:19

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

root (hd0,2)
initrd /boot/initrd26-full.img

the vmlinuz26 is correct

initrd26-full.img should be ... kernel26-fallback.img

do you have mkinitcpio-kernel26.conf in /boot ?

Yes you may need install cd ....

Mr Green

#9 2006-09-27 19:08:13

cogo
Website

I booted using the the arch-0.7.2-base.iso image and looked in /boot/ and all the files mentioned in this thread is there. It might be noted that I did pacman -S kernel26 AFTER I did a pacman -Syu that replaced initrd with mkinitcpio. According to http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio the kernel26.img and kernel26-fallback.img files are created during kernel update so these files should at least be valid?

#10 2006-09-27 19:09:31

RajivNair

Hello everyone,

I too had the same problem,my boot command was:-

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda3 ro
initrd /initrd26.img

i got mine to work by editing it to:-

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda3 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

but even changing it to "kernel26-fallback.img" works for me,

what should i be using kernel26.img or kernel26-fallback.img for the long run.

#11 2006-09-27 19:20:29

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

For normal use (assuming modules are set up correctly!) then kernel26.img is all you need

fallback loads everything ... just in case you get into trouble ...

@cogo Can you boot yet?

Mr Green

#12 2006-09-27 19:20:56

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

RajivNair wrote:

what should i be using kernel26.img or kernel26-fallback.img for the long run.

The "fallback" image is exactly that - a fallback.  Meaning, "use this in case of failure"

#13 2006-09-27 19:50:40

cogo
Website

I changed my /boot/grub/menu.lst to:

title Arch Linux
root (hd0,2)
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

And then it worked. smile I do have another issue though. When I updated udev it said something about some keywords that had changed ... I have a /etc/udev/rules.d/10-network.rules file that says:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", SYSFS{address}=="MAC_FOR_ETH0", NAME="eth0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", SYSFS{address}=="MAC_FOR_ETH1", NAME="eth1"

This is correct according to http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev but the wiki might not be updated?

edit: Thanks alot for helping me out guys! smile

#14 2006-09-27 19:57:14

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

read readme in /etc/udev.... change of syntax may affect your rules

Get on with it lol...... lol

Mr Green

#15 2006-09-28 00:00:25

CavalierBob

I'm getting an error similar to glenda:

[snip]
:: Loading initramfs
/init: 43: replace: not found
/init: 43: replace: not found
export: 43 : bad variable name
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

What is odd is I have read and reread the wiki on mkinitcpio. I made the change over to mkinitcpio, changed the menu.lst as noted in the wiki, and using kernel 2.6.17 I was able to reboot the system several times without any problems.

Then, like glenda, I did an system update with pacman -Syu....and that's when the kernel panic started (on the next reboot).

I must  have configured something wrong, but darn if I know what or where.        I am sure I can get to root, so if someone has any ideas on where to look and what to change, I should be good.     

Thanks!

Bob

p.s. I get the same kernel panic when I try to boot the kernel26-fallback.img as well.

#16 2006-09-28 00:59:23

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Hmm, "replace" is part of klibc-extras... just in case this is a wonky error, can you re-pacman klibc-extras then kernel26, and let it regen the image?

#17 2006-09-28 01:54:55

CavalierBob

phrakture wrote:

Hmm, "replace" is part of klibc-extras... just in case this is a wonky error, can you re-pacman klibc-extras then kernel26, and let it regen the image?

Well, I'm a bit stuck on trying to get to a terminal window. When I try to use the 0.7.2 disk as a rescue disk, I get errors when the colored text starts showing on boot (something about modules for 2.6.16.dep file not found??)                                         . When I get to my desktop in Gnome,  I don't have a network connection and my mouse is dead. Must be some modules not loading correctly.

I set my install to launch GDM automatically (rc.conf?) so I can't seem to find a way to get to a shell. I always get the graphical login. Let me use another rescue disk, see if I can edit out GDM from running automatically, and see if I can get to a shell. Hopefully then I can load the tulip module for the LAN card (and hopefully that is what the network needs to get going).

Bob

p.s. I though I'd be tricky and fallback to initrd26.img (tried initrd26-full.img as well) by editing the menu.lst from within Grub, but that didn't work either. Gives me errors about no filesystem being able to mount root (?).

#18 2006-09-28 05:46:35

CavalierBob

Well, I'm stuck.

I can get a root shell. But I cannot figure out how to get my computer to see the network. I get this error every time I try (as root) 'modprobe tulip':

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.16/modules.dep: No such file or directory

This is the same error I see scroll by when Arch continues the boot with the colored text (this error is the 2nd line of text after Udev when the colored text starts).

Now this makes sense since when I cd to /lib/modules and do an ls all I see is:

2.6.18-ARCH

and the 2.6.18-ARCH directory contains a modules.dep file.

So, it appears modprobe (modprobe.conf?) is calling a file/directory that does not exist. Is modprobe (modprobe.conf) invalidated in the mkinitcpio world? I didn't think so, but perhaps I am wrong.

Do I need to add the modules that would be loaded by modprobe.conf to the modules array in mkinitcpio.conf? Right now the only two modules in my modprobe.conf are 'eth0' and 'tulip'. I thought I had tulip set to load in rc.conf, but I'll have to look again.

Ideas, thoughts, guesses????

Thanks! smile

Bob

#19 2006-09-28 06:15:42

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Looks like you're running lilo.  Lilo sucks like that... you need to rerun it when you update.  See the wiki for information on reinstalling lilo.

#20 2006-09-28 14:03:13

CavalierBob

phrakture wrote:

Looks like you're running lilo.  Lilo sucks like that... you need to rerun it when you update.  See the wiki for information on reinstalling lilo.

Actually I'm using Grub as the bootloader phrakture.

Funny you mention lilo. I swear I saw a lilo update run duringh the update I ran prior to this kernel panic prob lem.I thought it odd since I used Grub as my bootloader when installing 0.7.2. Perhaps just a normal update but....

EDIT: Well, maybe I'm just spinning my wheels here. I just tried to use mkinitcpio to rebuild the kernel26.img, adding in the modules I need to access the network (eth0 tulip).

After adding the modules to the MODULES array in mkinitcpio.conf I tried to rebuild the image. That failed when mkinitcpio could not find the eth0 module. This is  just not making sense to me.

I'd like to avoid a reinstall but this is sure seeming like an update gone bad...

Bob

#21 2006-09-28 14:44:17

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

First, "eth0" is not a module.  You cannot add it to te MODULES array.

Secondly, if you're building the image for a kernel (2.6.18-ARCH) that you're not currently running (i.e. booted into 2.6.17-ARCH), you need to make sure you pass the -k option to mkinitcpio.

#22 2006-09-28 15:40:25

CavalierBob

First, "eth0" is not a module. You cannot add it to te MODULES array.

Ahh, perhaps I didn't understand the syntax in modeprobe.conf correctly. From your reply I'm thinking that 'alais eth0 tulip' means something like assign tulip to eth0.

Secondly, if you're building the image for a kernel (2.6.18-ARCH) that you're not currently running (i.e. booted into 2.6.17-ARCH), you need to make sure you pass the -k option to mkinitcpio.

Yep, read that in the wiki! wink

Let me try again adding tulip to the image and I'll post back.

Thanks for staying with me phrakture!

Bob

#23 2006-09-28 16:13:11

CavalierBob

Success!!!!

Edited mkinitcpio.conf and added 'tulip' to the MODULES array. Saved file.

Used 'mkinitcpio -k 2.6.18-ARCH -g /boot/kernel26.img' (as I did before) to regen the image.

Rebooted and this time the system booted through! Logged in as user, startx, and I'm looking at my Gnome desktop right now. Network works fine now.

So, was it adding 'tulip' to the array, regen'ing the image, or both? I'm betting it was the regen of the image. But that begs the question why, when the kernel upgraded during my 'pacman -Syu', didn't the image regen itself correctly?

When I ran the update, I didn't watch the output from pacman. Would there have been any output I could have missed related to the kernel update that might have scrolled off the screen on me? I would have thought that the  kernel update should have gone off without any input from me needed since I already had mkinitcpio configured and in use.

I wonder if regen'ing the image could help some of users in some of the  other recent threads regarding kernel panics after upgrades?

Thanks again phrakture for staying with an Arch newbie! Very much appreciated!

Bob

#24 2006-09-28 17:36:24

becho4

I had exactly the same problem as CavalierBob
It was solved following the suggestion of phrakture: re-pacman klibc-extras then kernel26

Thanks phrakture

#25 2006-09-29 16:44:54

Jansson

After the update and a reboot my wireless usb adapter is no longer found. I used AT76C503A linux linux usb driver( http://at76c503a.sourceforge.net/)
I wonder if there may be some trouble to find the firmware? Any ideas?

To make it work last time I instaled the driver, aded the firmware under /lib/firmware/ and edited the rc.conf for wlan

Board footer