You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-19 04:42:03

weasel42351

Laptop won't boot all the way after upgrade.

When I say it won't boot all the way I mean that it boots but gets stuck at black screen with text at the top left corner saying:

" Starting version 245.5-1-arch "
" /dev/sda4: clean, xxx/xxx files, xxx/xxx blocks "

Note:
* the 'xxx' are just bug numbers
* sda4 is my root partition

This happened after I did a system update/upgrade. Can anybody help me through this?

#2 2020-04-19 04:45:26

piperdan

Re: Laptop won't boot all the way after upgrade.

Do you have the LTS Kernel installed that you could boot into from grub menu?

#3 2020-04-19 04:53:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Your laptop is booting, you just aren't reaching your session. You can change the default target to boot into and paste your journal:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … _boot_into
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … in_clients

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2020-04-19 13:54:16

ttoirrah

I've just seen the same message appear on my desktop machine,

Starting version 245.5-1-arch
/dev/sda2: clean, ...

with at first a worringly long delay, then less so, and finally, on the third reboot, back to normal.

#5 2020-04-19 16:34:12

SUK

Hi,

I'm almost in the same situation today. After update and reboot, the only thing I see is a blinking cursor, no login prompt. Hovewer, unlike the OP, few restarts did not changed anything.

So I believe, there might be something wrong in last update.

Last edited by SUK (2020-04-19 16:34:52)

#6 2020-04-19 17:45:26

V1del
Forum Moderator

Less me tooing, more providing of the log information requested in #3 please.

#7 2020-04-19 18:48:01

SUK

I would like to, but I'm not going rewrite whole yournal on phone. (right now, it's 5k lines)

#8 2020-04-19 18:51:32

SUK

There are messages probably related, for every TTY:

Getty@ttyX.service: start request repeated too quickly
Failed with result start-limit-hit

#9 2020-04-19 20:54:24

SUK

And, reading logs, I realized it's full of errors like this:

Failed to attach to cgroup /system.splice/...
Failed at step CGROUP spawning...

Last edited by SUK (2020-04-19 20:55:28)

#10 2020-04-19 21:11:41

V1del
Forum Moderator

Post terminal outputs of these "not launching programs", and don't take pictures post the actual outputs refer to the links mentioned for how to paste text. We usually need

sudo journalctl -b

to at least get the information of the current boot.

#11 2020-04-19 21:17:58

SUK

V1del: how to post it, if there's no possibility to login?

#12 2020-04-19 21:18:49

V1del
Forum Moderator

Use a live disk, chroot in.

#13 2020-04-19 23:18:23

SUK

Okay, it was little bit difficult, but here it is: https://upload.sukovec.cz/xa.txt

#14 2020-04-20 02:09:42

m040601

I had this same problem today, and I'm seeing lots of similar new issues on the forum, "... won't boot" "...won't shutdown" "...after upggrade" both on laptops and desktops.

I solved my problem and, in my case, the cause was the recent dhcpcd upgrade from version 8 to version 9

The new dhcpcd package was built on April 15th on the Arch servers, so most people must have received the update in the last few days. It went from version,  dhcpcd-8.1.7-1, to version,  dhcpcd-9.0.1-2

I solved my problem by downgrading it.
Check your /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ if you still have the previous version.
If you dont, go here,
https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/d/dhcpcd/
download the previous version, that is,
dhcpcd-8.1.7-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Downgrade dhcpcd,
sudo pacman -U dhcpcd-8.1.7-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
Reboot.

Before this I tried many other things. I suspected kernel and/or systemd upgrades also. Tried downgrading them also. But ended up pinpointing it to the dhcpcd thing.

As Jason has said

Your laptop is booting, you just aren't reaching your session.

It just "hangs" there on boot or shutdown, because of some kind of conflict ??? race condition ???  bad permission ??? conflicting daemons ??? related to dhcpcd. This isnt' the first time this package gives me trouble, had it before on ARM Arch. So I'm always suspicious of dhcpcd.

If you pay attention during forced shutdown with the power button, theres a quick red message on the screen in red. See your logs:

grep -i unmounting

Failed unmounting /boot.
Failed unmounting /data.
Failed unmounting /home.
Failed unmounting /mnt/lastpart.
Failed unmounting /run/systemd/journal.
Failed unmounting /run/udev.
Failed unmounting /var/lib/dhcpcd/dev.
Failed unmounting /var/lib/dhcpcd/proc.
Failed unmounting /var/lib/dhcpcd/run/systemd/journal.
Failed unmounting /var/lib/dhcpcd/run/udev.
Failed unmounting /var/lib/dhcpcd/sys.
Failed unmounting Temporary Directory (/tmp).

Notice there also a lot of cgroup/slices/mount issues on your logs.

grep -i dhcp-

dhcpcd-9.0.1 starting
var-lib-dhcpcd-dev.mount: Failed to create cgroup /system.slice/var-lib-dhcpcd-dev.mount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-proc.mount: Failed to create cgroup /system.slice/var-lib-dhcpcd-proc.mount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-dev.mount: Failed to attach to cgroup /system.slice/var-lib-dhcpcd-dev.mount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-dev.mount: Failed at step CGROUP spawning /usr/bin/umount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-run-systemd-journal.mount: Failed to create cgroup /system.slice/var-lib-dhcpcd-run-systemd-journal.mount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-proc.mount: Failed to attach to cgroup /system.slice/var-lib-dhcpcd-proc.mount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-proc.mount: Failed at step CGROUP spawning /usr/bin/umount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-run-udev.mount: Failed to create cgroup /system.slice/var-lib-dhcpcd-run-udev.mount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-run-systemd-journal.mount: Failed to attach to cgroup /system.slice/var-lib-dhcpcd-run-systemd-journal.mount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-run-systemd-journal.mount: Failed at step CGROUP spawning /usr/bin/umount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-sys.mount: Failed to create cgroup /system.slice/var-lib-dhcpcd-sys.mount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-run-udev.mount: Failed to attach to cgroup /system.slice/var-lib-dhcpcd-run-udev.mount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-run-udev.mount: Failed at step CGROUP spawning /usr/bin/umount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-sys.mount: Failed to attach to cgroup /system.slice/var-lib-dhcpcd-sys.mount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-sys.mount: Failed at step CGROUP spawning /usr/bin/umount: No such file or directory
var-lib-dhcpcd-dev.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=219/CGROUP
var-lib-dhcpcd-proc.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=219/CGROUP
var-lib-dhcpcd-run-systemd-journal.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=219/CGROUP
var-lib-dhcpcd-run-udev.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=219/CGROUP
var-lib-dhcpcd-sys.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=219/CGROUP

Last edited by m040601 (2020-04-20 14:56:25)

#15 2020-04-20 02:13:16

m040601

I must also stress that this dhcpcd issue can be caused, not because the package is broken itself, but by a  messy improper network configuration. It just happens that it became more prominent with theh latest update. That's probably my case also, I just havent' had the time to remove old crusty stuff and choose a cleaner networking setup on this old PC.

Watch out for:
- competing/redundant network daemons and solutions installed : netctl ? systemd-networkd ? dhcpcd
- if you do want to use dhcpcd, you must learn to configure properly and make it play with everything else
- alternatives like dhclient (dhcp stand alone client from isc)

And then comes your DNS configuration choice also to pay attention.
Add wifi and wired to the pot, and the choices and combinations increase exponentially.

It's essential to read carefully the ArchWiki.
But the networking wiki pages need in my opinion a big refactoring.
There's simply to much stuff cramped in the first front pages for first time users.
They have grown to a big mess, mixing on the same page, essential important information and tips that cater to everyone, with space rocket science solutions and rare cases to a minority.

It's not that solution/configuration/choice/tool A is better/worse than B or C.
It's the implications of adding "too much" and beeing clear of conflicting choices that is missing.
That's why you see different people posting totally different expert opinions.
And with systemd creeping into "doing everything" DNS, DHCP related, it's easy to end up with "too much". I've seen this a lot lately with DNS issues on Arch ARM.

I am personally still deciding and studying the best options for all of my use cases. Trying to write it down and contribute to the wiki. Already changed to a good old netctl solution with ifplugd on some other computer.

Last edited by m040601 (2020-04-20 02:57:19)

#16 2020-04-20 09:12:30

SUK

I'm almost sure it's not dhcp related, as the only thing that succeeds is dhcp. After boot, I can ping my computer - it has IP assigned. Nothing other starts. SSH is not running, getty cannot start....

Those unmount messages are being generated during shutdown.

#17 2020-04-20 10:39:48

SUK

Okay. After downgrading (and removing) dhcpcd, it started working again. I don't understand it why, but it works. I had configuration made in times, when systemd was not resolver and dhcp client yet, so I had services like dhcpcd@enp7s0 etc. As there is a problem, I'm going to rewrite it for systemd-networkd and I will hope it's going to work flawlessly at least for some time...

#18 2020-04-20 13:43:56

seth

#19 2020-04-20 14:54:28

m040601

Most probably related

FS#66321 : [dhcpcd] 9.0.1 permissions too strict on /run/dhcpcd/
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/66321?s … &closedto=

#20 2020-04-20 15:30:33

SUK

That's strange. All these descriptions describe problem as "dhcp not starting and getting IP". I had exactly opposite problem - dhcpcd was the only service started, giving me IP address, but nothing more have been working. Hovewer, at least, I've migrated to systemd-only solution (having dhcpcd installed just as a fallback) and it runs OK (and boots much faster) than before.

#21 2020-04-20 19:33:14

seth

Your previous boot was slowed down by the specific dhcpcd service which waits for an IP address and blocks the boot process.

Is this comment in the bug you?
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/66321#comment188538

If not, you could try 9.0.1-4

Board footer