You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-20 16:41:13

covid19

Minor bootloader issue with 6month stable setup

Hi, first posting here, hope it's in the right area. This issue is semi-cosmetic, I'm having to rely on my laptops uefi boot menu to load GRUB/Arch or my laptop complains "No suitable OS found, shutting down"; so I have to mash a key during startup, it's not a huge issue as I usually don't take kernel updates regularly, but once a month or so when I reboot... but I'd like to resolve this issue if possible. It is a LUKS encrypted partition if it makes a difference.
I've tried issuing the grub-install with

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi /dev/sda

and also

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi /dev/sda2

it reports success, and yes I'm certain it's sda, the LUKS partition is sda2 however I get the same message on reboot.
In the interest of not breaking an otherwise very stable setup, I haven't done anything fancy with grub. Do I just need to run the grub-install command on /dev/mapper/yadayada?

Followed the wiki for install, perhaps it's just me but I had the issue of "too much information" that wasn't at all relevant in my particular scenario, so I may have missed something just trying to find the 2 lines I need from large pages. Thoroughness is appreciated even if it does take awhile to sift through a lot of content.

Last edited by covid19 (2020-04-20 16:42:50)

#2 2020-04-20 17:17:34

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Minor bootloader issue with 6month stable setup

Sounds like your motherboard has forgotten it's boot entries, try running the grub-install command with the --removable flag to copy grubx64.efi to the removable loader location (as used for USB sticks).

Note that the UEFI grub-install command doesn't accept a device as an argument. Also note that you shouldn't pass a partition as an argument to the non-UEFI grub-install command, it's not supported.

Nice user name btw, not at all insensitive.

#3 2020-04-21 03:23:50

covid19

Re: Minor bootloader issue with 6month stable setup

Silly motherboard roll
Thanks, I'll try that out

Board footer