You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-28 13:32:02

_Caleb_

Switching from Gentoo to Arch

I'm trying to decide if i wanna switch from Gentoo to Arch. Can someone give me some pointers on what to look for and also reasons i should switch.

#2 2006-09-28 13:39:51

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Switching from Gentoo to Arch

I've never used Gentoo, but start here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … _vs_Gentoo  (feel free to update the page with any additional information after you've done the switch).  Also do a forum search, ther have been several threads on the topic that probably cover all the details you could want.

Dusty

#3 2006-09-28 13:48:00

kamituel
Website

I'm using Arch mainly as a desktop, and also as a tool for develop in C/C++/C# and few other languages (at university). As a hobby I'm also doing some webpages. And from this point of view I can say Arch is better because I can do almost everything faster (compared to many other distros, including Gentoo).
Arch is simply better if you don't want to play with gcc for hours big_smile

I tried, I failed, no matter. Try again, fail again, fail better.

#4 2006-09-28 13:57:02

_Caleb_

well i did use Arch for a small time on my laptop and the install was much easier and it was faster than i thought. Only thing wrong is that i couldnt get my graphics working right. Arch will go on my main desktop once i get a couple things off of it and some config files saved.

#5 2006-09-28 15:30:18

brazzmonkey