You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-28 23:42:17

spotslayer

Pavillion zv5000

Hi all,  I hope all are doing well. At least better than I am.

I decided to try Arch about two weeks ago. I installed on an old 600e thinkpad. All went pretty well. I got everything working in a day or so. Pretty good for an old laptop. Things went so well I thought maybe I would try to install on my HP laptop. I had a spare hard drive I did the install on it. The lappy is an AMD 64 athlon. I downloaded the current install 64b cd and did a ftp install. Things did not go as well as they did on my tpad. I had much trouble with my video. I had already printed the xorg.conf that was on the hard drive I removed. I refered to it and got the nvidia video working with out too much problem. I could not get the bcm wireless card to work unless I used ndiswrapper. (maybe because of the 64b architecture) Works well using the wrapper. My keyboard has intermintant problems with the shift key. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I am also having problems with my samba printing, but have not hacked at it much yet.

I put the original hard drive with a SuSE 10.0 64b install back in and all still works  as well as always. One exception. This leads me to believe the hardware is fine. I admit I have been spoiled by the SuSE autoconfig everything but would truly like to get away from an RPM based distro. Are there any of you out there in the tubes that have this laptop and have it working well with Arch. Is the laptop just not compatible enough with linux?(the exception. never did get power management working with SuSE. Novell blamed it on the nvidia drivers) Is the problem IO error(Idiot Operator)? Do I just need to hack away for a bit longer?  Is there a more linux friendly laptop? Not really an option as I am pretty well broke.

Well I guess I have vented long enough and will give it another go this weekend. Would appreciate any tips with my setup and what I am doing.

David

I really have been impressed with Arch and think this is a great path away from RPM based that almost always requires a new install to upgrade. I dislike starting over every year or so.

#2 2006-09-29 01:15:30

rayjgu3

Re: Pavillion zv5000

you could check here for laptop issues
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Spe … ext=Search
there is 1 hp listed i dont know what hp you got

#3 2006-09-30 05:15:53

jb

I've been using arch_i686 on my zv5000 for the last two years.  Never bothered with the 64bit version; I need to use a few commercial apps... and I'm a fan of flash working only slightly busted.

Unless you can get this to work, you're going to have to use ndiswrapper.  I haven't had much experience at samba, but I couldn't imagine it being a hardware issue.

As for the shift issue, never experienced that one; I guess if you hold it down lightly on the edge the shift won't register.

#4 2006-09-30 15:25:35

spotslayer

Thank's guys!!  That was just a rant. I get frustrated. I think most of the issues I have are .conf related. The one thing is the shift key. At times I am stuck in caps mode and others in lower case. Shift and caps lock don't work. It takes a restart to make it right. I have been using this laptop for almost two years with SuSE Novell 64 and never experienced this problem either.

jb how has the 32b installed worked for you? I have considered that but with my current SuSe install everything has worked with 64b OS. What are the slightly busted issues?

David

#5 2006-10-01 04:59:21

jb

spotslayer wrote:

jb how has the 32b installed worked for you? I have considered that but with my current SuSe install everything has worked with 64b OS. What are the slightly busted issues?

The same thing that affects everyone using flash 7 for linux: sound lag and the fact that it isn't flash 8 smile

I was implicitly comparing it to gnash, the only option I know of for flash in 64-bit, which is ultra-busted (Considering they're not macromedia, anything above completely borked should be taken as a complement).

The only real issues I had with my laptop install was when I first bought it, nvidia driver v6629 had an issue with the widescreen on it and the previous one didn't work past kernel 2.6.9 so I was stuck at that for a while.  But once driver 7176 came out, I never had another problem.

That's all I can think of that's hardware specific.  This laptop has run pretty well the last couple years with arch.  All of the issues that I can think of happened because I took a risk at something dangerous: "non-destructive" resizing of root partition failed midway and was thankfully bailed out by fsck, or I wasn't paying attention: update to kernel package back when I had a seperate /boot partition and it was unmounted.   

If I can think of anything else that's hardware specific, I'll post it.

#6 2006-10-01 15:39:30

spotslayer

How about  power management?  I have never gotten it to work with 64b. Will it work with 32?

D

#7 2006-10-04 03:50:26

jb

Haven't tried any of the power management stuff past cpufreq, which works great btw.  I'll have to test it out this weekend.

#8 2006-10-06 11:46:26

spotslayer

The cpufreq does work. I am more interested in the suspend features. I would be interested to know if they work on yours.

TNX
David

Board footer