You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-02 12:58:29

luc_scrt

[SOLVED] /dev/sdb1 already mounted on /run/archiso/bootmnt

I'm trying to install Arch Linux with a bootable usb stick.

I have an error on the mounting command:

$> mount /dev/sdX1 /mnt
mount: /mnt: /dev/sdb1 already mounted on /run/archiso/bootmnt

I cannot umount /run/archiso/bootmnt because the target is busy.

It's probably a beginner's mistake, but I haven't found any information on this yet.

Is there an issue or am I missing something ?

Thanks

Last edited by luc_scrt (2020-05-02 15:34:51)

#2 2020-05-02 13:08:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] /dev/sdb1 already mounted on /run/archiso/bootmnt

luc_scrt wrote:

I'm trying to install Arch Linux with a bootable usb stick.

You are trying to install to a usb stick, or you are just booting the usb stick to install to an internal drive?  If the latter, where did this bootable usb stick come from?  It doesn't look like it is the installation iso.

In any case, please post the complete output of `mount`.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-05-02 13:09:18)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-05-02 13:19:23

luc_scrt

I'm booting the usb stick to install to an internal drive, sorry for the confusion.

I created the bootable usb stick from the image available on the archlinux.org/download page (the magnet torrent link).
Then I used dd:

dd if=archlinux-2020.05.01-x86_64.iso of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=1m

Here is the output of the mount command:

proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1930652k,nr_inodes=482663,mode=755)
run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/sdb1 on /run/archiso/bootmnt type iso9660 (ro,relatime,nojoliet,check=s,map=n,blocksize=2048)
cowspace on /run/archiso/cowspace type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=262144k,mode=755)
/dev/loop0 on /run/archiso/sfs/airootfs type squashfs (ro,relatime)
airootfs on / type overlay (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/run/archiso/sfs/airootfs,upperdir=/run/archiso/cowspace/persistent_ARCH_202005/x86_64/upperdir,workdir=/run/archiso/cowspace/persistent_ARCH_202005/x86_64/workdir)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=29,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=17635)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
tracefs on /sys/kernel/tracing type tracefs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /etc/pacman.d/gnupg type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
dev on /var/lib/dhcpcd/dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1930652k,nr_inodes=482663,mode=755)
proc on /var/lib/dhcpcd/proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /var/lib/dhcpcd/sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
run on /var/lib/dhcpcd/run/udev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
run on /var/lib/dhcpcd/run/systemd/journal type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/user/0 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=391120k,mode=700)

Last edited by luc_scrt (2020-05-02 13:40:14)

#4 2020-05-02 13:44:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Your trying to mount the usb that the iso is on.  Don't do that.  You're supposed to mount your system disk (e.g., harddrive) to install to it.

EDIT: and besides that, you should only be mounting partitions that you have already created and formatted.  Clearly you didn't (successfully) partition and format the flash drive that you are booting from.

What instructions are you trying to follow to install arch?

Last edited by Trilby (2020-05-02 13:46:06)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-05-02 14:11:08

luc_scrt

I see, stupid error, I could have read the doc better, thank you for your patience!

First I used

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk__ bs=1024 count=100

and then I followed the wiki USB installation page.

What made you see the USB partitioning issue ? I'd like to ensure after I retry that I've done it right.

#6 2020-05-02 14:54:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

luc_scrt wrote:

What made you see the USB partitioning issue ? I'd like to ensure after I retry that I've done it right.

I don't see a usb partitioning issue.  I do see that you were trying to mount the flash drive which, again, you should not do.  I followed that by pointing out that there is no point in the supported instructions in which you even should attempt to mount a partition you have not created.

So I asked - and now ask again - which instructions are you following?

#7 2020-05-02 15:06:05

luc_scrt

I'm following the wiki installation guide

#8 2020-05-02 15:13:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

And which step are you on?

The only time you should be mounting partitions is in section 1.9, but clearly you have not done section 1.7 and 1.8, or if you did, you did them on a different disk than the one you tried to mount (which is wrong).

If you have created and formatted new partitions, those are what you should mount.  If you have not, go you need to do that first.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-05-02 15:17:06)

#9 2020-05-02 15:31:29

luc_scrt

My mistake was to try to mount the USB key (step 1.9) instead of the file system I had just partitioned and formatted (1.7 & 1.8).

So the `mount` output that I sent does not show the `sda` which is the hard disk on which I'm installing arch.

Thanks to your help I managed to get the installation done.

#10 2020-05-02 15:33:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Great, please edit the first post to prepend [SOLVED] to the title.

Board footer