You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-29 12:34:01

ganlu

HAL 0.5.8.1-1+kernel 2.16.8=broken automount?

Gnome doesn' t know how to auto mount my removeral usb disk after update, only manual mount works.
Is there anyone meeting the same? Could someone give me a clue, thanks in advance.

#2 2006-09-29 14:14:29

JGC
Developer

Re: HAL 0.5.8.1-1+kernel 2.16.8=broken automount?

error messages? "Doesn't work" is something we can't fix.

#3 2006-09-29 18:18:54

dolby

i have the same problem with cd's dvd's in thunar-svn
even tho my fstab says

/dev/hda             /mnt/cd      iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide  0      0
/dev/hda             /mnt/dvd     iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide  0      0

and the cdrom icon appears on thunar like its supposed to when media is  automounted it tries to automount on media/hda and get

failed to mount cdrom
mount: can't find /media/hda in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

when i try to access it
mounting manually with

mount /dev/hda

works as it should, which is as fstab says...
this was an issue before the 2.6.18 kernel upgrade

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#4 2006-09-29 18:49:37

CavalierBob

JGC wrote:

I'm seeing the same thing JGC, though Gnome behaved the same way for me  prior to the last update (i.e. USB drives are not automounted). But it doesn't throw any errors unless there is a log file that might be helpful to you.

If I mount the USB drive manually, it works perfectly. The drive mounts, the icon displays on the desktop, and a Nautilus window opens showing the drives contents.

I have another system running PCLinuxOS and the older Gnome version in it automounts the same USB drive fine. It seems like the preference setting to mount removable drives when hot-plugged is not being honored by Gnome on my Arch box (see the 'Storage' tab for the Removable Drives and Media preferences found at Desktop>Preferences>Removable Drives and Media).

Gnome 2.10 in PCLinuxOS has the same type of preferences setting as Gnome 2.14 on my Arch box. However, when I look at the fstab in PCLinuxOS with the USB drive plugged in and compare it to the Arch fstab when the USB drive is plugged in there is a difference. The fstab in PCLinuxOS is being dynamically written to with the following when the USB drive is plugged in and has automounted:

/dev/sdd1               /mnt/UDISK_20X          vfat    pamconsole,exec,noauto,noatime,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,managed 0 0

When the USB drive is unplugged this line does not exist in the PCLinuxOS fstab. When the USB drive is plugged into the Arch box, the fstab never changes. Even when I manually mount the USB drive.

Another difference is the following code *always* exisits in the PCLinuxOS fstab and not in the fstab on my Arch box:

none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

I don't know what these 2 lines tell PCLinuxOS to do or if it is even related to the issue at hand. Could be just differences comparing the older base system of PCLinuxOS to the very up-to-date Arch.

I'm planning on removing PCLinuxOS off my main workstation this weekend and installing Arch. It would be nice to know an answer to this odd behavior with Gnome & USB drives, but not a show stopper. Arch is sooooo much nicer! wink

Bob

#5 2006-09-29 21:43:20

JGC
Developer

pmount doesn't like to mount entries that are in fstab. Also, you shouldn't run mount, but pmount to mount these things as user. Gnome works perfectly fine using that method here.

#6 2006-09-29 22:18:01

CavalierBob

JGC wrote:

pmount doesn't like to mount entries that are in fstab. Also, you shouldn't run mount, but pmount to mount these things as user. Gnome works perfectly fine using that method here.

Yeah, I had a hunch that the PCLinuxOS way of doing things was an older way.

So, given that pmount is the way to go for Arch (and I do have it installed           ,confirmed via pacman), that brings us back to the question of why a USB stick isn't automounted when hot-plugged into an Arch system with Gnome. At least 2 users have reported the issue, even though I understand it works for you fine.

I thought maybe my USB2 stick into a USB1 port might be a reason. So I just plugged in an old USB1 stick I have here and it didn't automount either. But if I double click on the Computer icon on the desktop, the USB stick is shown with the list of drives. Double click on it causes the USB drive icon to appear on the desktop and, oddly, 2 Nautilus windows for the USB drives contents to open.

Any other suggestions JGC? Would you happen to know what packages are involved...I assume hal, pmount...any others?

My system shows the same behavior when a CD is inserted...it reads the CD fine, does not display an icon on the desktop, and does not automount the CD. Again, when I double click the CD icon from the Computer window, the CD mounts, the icon displays on the desktop, and a window opens  withthe CD's contents.

So it seems that I'm missing some file or config setup related to automounting removable items. Any ideas or thoughts of where I might look is apprecaited.

Bob

#7 2006-09-29 22:26:17

JGC
Developer

hal, pmount and gnome-volume-manager. Without the last one you have to mount it yourself by double-clicking in nautilus for example.

Make sure you're member of the storage group, otherwise it won't mount.

#8 2006-09-30 00:09:56

scarecrow

Works here. I am in the "storage" group, and it does work even without any fstab entry -but few programs, like wine, do need an fstab entry, so I have something like
/dev/dvd    /mnt/dvd  auto       ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
in my fstab...
No probs at all with the new kernel.

Microshaft delenda est

#9 2006-09-30 05:15:23

ganlu

Let me guess, well, where can I find such things in gnome? I have hal successfully started, I always comment out the dvd/usbdisk entries in fstab, so pmount can mount them automatically, but now it doesn't work, just doesn't work I hate to say but have to.
I am not in storage group, Surely I will try if it works. However I don't think I need do so, since Hal has done a good job before.
EDIT: I have seen a updated pmount package from RSS reader, I will try. Strangely RSS reader shows more new packages than in homepage of Arch.

#10 2006-09-30 05:33:09

CavalierBob

JGC wrote:

hal, pmount and gnome-volume-manager. Without the last one you have to mount it yourself by double-clicking in nautilus for example.

Make sure you're member of the storage group, otherwise it won't mount.

Perfect JGC, you led me to the answer! All three of the files you listed were already installed. I just had to add myself as a member to the storage group. Now automounting works as it should for my USB stick and my CD's.

I just edited the group file in /etc as root, adding my userid to the storage group (it only had hal). Did a reboot (old MS habits die hard) and now automounting removable media and drives works.

I now discovered that the proper way should have been:

# gpasswd -a  username storage

and that I only had to logout of my userid and log back in (no reboot).

Thanks JGC!

Bob

#11 2006-10-07 15:24:18

funkmuscle

HAL and pmount are major problems for the past few months.
I just did the latest update and still cannot mount my cd-rom or mp3 player. I keep getting this stupid "Feature only available with HAL"
Well HAL is running.
He is my fstab:
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0
tmpfs                  /tmp          tmpfs     defaults            0      0
usbfs                  /proc/bus/usb usbfs     defaults            0      0
none                   /tmp/jack     tmpfs  defaults               0      0
none                   /mnt/ramfs   tmpfs  defaults                0      0

/dev/cdrom             /mnt/cd   iso9660      ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/dvd               /mnt/dvd  udf      ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/fd0               /mnt/fl   vfat      user,noauto             0      0
/dev/sda1              /mnt/usb-storage    vfat rw,users,noauto,async,umask=0    0      0

/dev/hda3              / ext3 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/hda1              /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
/dev/hda2               swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdd1              /stuff2 ext3 defaults 1 1

I may be the idiot here? Please help me someone. I have some important files on my mp3 player I need put on my pc.

It's been a month or more now since I had access to my mp3 player.

#12 2006-11-13 21:22:02

jofa

is pmount something i have to add (or is it possible?) to the daemons list in /etc/rc.conf?

#13 2006-11-14 00:06:42

CavalierBob

is pmount something i have to add (or is it possible?) to the daemons list in /etc/rc.conf?

I do not have pmount in my DAEMONS array. Just installed on the system.

With the three files JGC mentioned and making sure your user is in the storage group, you should be working OK with automounting. Do you have pmount, HAL, and gnome-volume-manager installed (# pacman -Q pmount hal gnome-volume-manager)?

Bob

#14 2006-11-14 07:31:35

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I am having problems starting hal from cli

/etc/rc.d/hal restart just gives me fail ....

Got both dbus & hal in rc.conf soo...

bring back hotplug rofl

Mr Green

Board footer