You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-06 02:02:23

pete_mav_mitchell

[SOLVED] Deciding on systemd-boot but Timeshift

Hi guys,

I'm planning on installing Arch as my main driver, as I've tried Arch on and off (in VMs and on h/w dual-boot) over the last few years.
My main driver is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which I've been using for last 2 years and it's been rock solid stable.

When I do go with Arch, I plan for stability using the LTS kernal, LVM snapshots, a further point-in-time recovery using Timeshift, and backups (ddrescue and Clonezilla images).

Now I've been reading about boot loaders, and would prefer to go with systemd-boot, as it's already installed and part of systemd.
But I've read some snippets in recent posts about systemd-boot giving problems with Timeshift restores.

E.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm … king_boot/

I couldn't find any specifics on these problems? And whether it still a problem?
Which raises other questions such as, would Clonezilla (or other apps) also have problems?

Then I looked into Grub2, it's been around far longer, therefore chances are that all issues have been resolved over the years (hopefully).
Unfortunately with Grub2 and some brands, you have to jump through vendor specific hoops to get it to work - refer to my recent post in Installation post on grub UEFI vendor specifc (and I would have to repeat this process on each grub and fwupd update - ugh! I would use a pacman hook)

Given my laptop will only contain Arch (no other OSes), and boot to UEFI only, systemd looks to be the least painful option here assuming other software (e.g. Timeshift) plays well with it.

For those that are using systemd-boot, have you encountered any issues? Do all apps work, in particular Timeshift, Clonezilla...

Thanks.

Last edited by pete_mav_mitchell (2020-05-06 03:08:36)

#2 2020-05-06 02:06:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Deciding on systemd-boot but Timeshift

pete_mav_mitchell wrote:

But I've read some snippets in recent posts about systemd-boot giving problems with Timeshift restores.

Some references would be helpful. I have no idea why systemd-boot would be especially difficult to restore from a backup...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2020-05-06 02:13:49

pete_mav_mitchell

jasonwryan wrote:
pete_mav_mitchell wrote:

Some references would be helpful. I have no idea why systemd-boot would be especially difficult to restore from a backup...

Sorry, included now in main post.

#4 2020-05-06 02:33:37

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

That link exculpates both systemd and grub from any responsibility. PEBKAC is the guilty party there...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2020-05-06 02:34:11

pete_mav_mitchell

I've mis-read the reddit post, op was using grub. Sorry guys!
Looks like I'm going with systemd-boot! Woot!

Last edited by pete_mav_mitchell (2020-05-06 03:05:56)

Board footer