You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-01 10:04:35

Gvalandor

Beryl/ATI problems

I used to have XGL/Compiz working with fglrx drivers at one point a few months ago. I stopped using it however after I noticed that it made video playback use 100% CPU (since it couldn't use Xv).

Today I decided to see if things had improved over the months and tried running Beryl with both XGL/fglrx and AIGLX/ati in KDE. In both cases "dbus-launch beryl-start" failed to do anything but kill kwin and complain in ~/.beryl.log as follows:

beryl: No manageable screens found on display 0:0

It also complained about another WM already running on the display, but I thought this was normal as it then proceeded to kill kwin.

In the AIGLX case I had direct rendering working fine according to glxinfo and glxgears. I also had Composite enabled and working perfectly (checked with KDE transparency support). /var/log/Xorg.0.log contained no errors and seemed to imply that DRI initialization had gone just fine.

Has anyone else has run into the same Beryl error message and/or found a solution?

EDIT: Oh, and my video card is a Radeon Mobility 9600.

#2 2006-10-04 14:56:34

aquila_deus
Website

Re: Beryl/ATI problems

Hi! The movie performance problem is due to your driver. compiz/beryl can't make it faster or slower unless you use blurring or water.

Have you tried to use mplayer with gl2?

Gvalandor wrote:

I used to have XGL/Compiz working with fglrx drivers at one point a few months ago. I stopped using it however after I noticed that it made video playback use 100% CPU (since it couldn't use Xv).

Today I decided to see if things had improved over the months and tried running Beryl with both XGL/fglrx and AIGLX/ati in KDE. In both cases "dbus-launch beryl-start" failed to do anything but kill kwin and complain in ~/.beryl.log as follows:

It also complained about another WM already running on the display, but I thought this was normal as it then proceeded to kill kwin.

In the AIGLX case I had direct rendering working fine according to glxinfo and glxgears. I also had Composite enabled and working perfectly (checked with KDE transparency support). /var/log/Xorg.0.log contained no errors and seemed to imply that DRI initialization had gone just fine.

Has anyone else has run into the same Beryl error message and/or found a solution?

EDIT: Oh, and my video card is a Radeon Mobility 9600.

#3 2006-10-04 16:35:09

Gvalandor

No, I haven't tried mplayer with gl2 yet. I was about to compile it and give it a spin when I was still messing around with Xgl/Compiz, but since Xgl broke a few other things too I just gave up on it.

Also I might add that I actually managed to run Beryl in an XFCE session right after I posted the original question, though that only resulted in X dying horribly. I could probably get it working by tweaking my xorg.conf, but since I still can't run Beryl in KDE (the original problem persists) I'll just probably wait a few months for Beryl to stabilize a bit.

#4 2006-10-04 21:58:05

_adam_

probably a stupid question, but did you follow the wiki for beryl?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beryl

#5 2006-10-05 06:58:16

Gvalandor

Yes.

#6 2006-10-05 10:49:26

funkyou
Website

Gvalandor wrote:

Try it as root.
If it works, try it with a fresh user.

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#7 2006-10-06 20:12:09

Gvalandor

Running as root results in the same error. The full contents of ~/.beryl.log are as follows:

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
beryl: Another window manager is already running on screen: 0
beryl: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
XGL Absent, checking for NVIDIA
Nvidia Absent, assuming AIGLX

#8 2006-10-16 18:22:28

Gvalandor

No. I gave up trying and decided to check back in a few months.

#9 2006-10-17 18:46:18

debauchery1st

beryl-start gives me problems, so I had to modify things for my ATI card.

1) copy the file "/usr/bin/beryl-start" to "beryl-start-xgl"

2) open the new file up in your text-editor of choice and modify the following:
      - change the line that says

beryl > ~/.beryl.log 2>&1 &

to

beryl-xgl > ~/.beryl.log 2>&1 &

that's it.

copy your new "beryl-start-xgl" file to /usr/bin  (or /usr/local/bin)
make sure your file is executable ( "chmod 755 /usr/bin/beryl-start-xgl" )

now execute it and see if things work.

if you get all white with a beryl-logo, you'll have to build the latest svn version.

check out my other post at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=199406#199406 for info on building,
or to try my 10-10 build. here http://www.filefactory.com/file/8b176a/

Board footer