You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-25 18:15:13

h3m10

Laptop freezes, then crashes - no logs

HP Zbook Studio G3

My laptop randomly crashes after a while.
I checked the logs using journalctl -b-1 but could not figure out any clear issues.

My temperatures seem to be ok.

I tried the lts kernel and the issue remained.

My guess is that this is a non-hardware issue as I am not getting the random crashes on other distro on seperate hard drive.
It might still be the SSD, but I ran some tests and the drive seems to be healthy.
I also ran some hardware scans from the BIOS and they all passed.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by h3m10 (2020-05-25 18:27:19)

#2 2020-05-26 09:22:05

Malvineous
Website

Re: Laptop freezes, then crashes - no logs

Have you recently made any changes to your system, like upgrading software?

I found two days ago that upgrading to kernel 5.6.14 would lock up my machine after a couple of hours so I had to go back to the kernel I was running before (in this case 5.4.7 from January).

To find out what the problem is you will need to capture the kernel crash message somehow.  You can read up on the "netconsole" module which allows you to get certain types of crashes sent over the network to another PC where you can get some hints about what is failing, but in my case it locked up so bad it didn't even send anything over netconsole.  I will probably have to investigate a serial console next, or disable the X11 GUI so the machine runs while showing a text console, as the crash messages will almost always make it to the text console.

#3 2020-05-28 23:41:57

h3m10

Re: Laptop freezes, then crashes - no logs

I cloned it to a different disk and the problem is gone.
I am pretty sure my SSD started failing and this was a hardware issue.

Thank you for your help!

Board footer