You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-27 21:45:31

Twiki
Banned

Telegram : Internal Server Error at first attempt to log in.

I just installed telegram-desktop.
Started Telegram >> Clicked the START MESSAGING button >> Entered my mobile phone number >> Clicked the NEXT button. BOOM!!! Message displayed right under my phone number: "Internal server error." The thin blue line under my phone number, turned to red.

At the same time, I can use Telegram on my phone without any issues.
I already rebooted (shutdown + power on) but that didn't fix it (of course).

I found this issue on GitHub describing the exact same symptoms. Where the Arch package maintainer is also involved in the discussion. Problem is that it's from 2018 - 2019. So, unless this is a regression, am I the only one seeing this?

Bidi-bidi-bidi-bidi.

#2 2020-05-28 21:16:11

Lone_Wolf

Re: Telegram : Internal Server Error at first attempt to log in.

No issues here with telegram-desktop 2.1.7-1 .

It may be a network related error. I do remember seeing that error one time , but another try an hour later connected fine.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2020-05-28 21:16:26)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-05-29 19:47:07

Twiki
Banned

Telegram still displays the error message. Yesterday evening I also tried many times without going through ExpressVPN servers. Just directly through my ISP. But no joy.
I'm going to put in a few more attempts tomorrow morning. If I still get the message, I will uninstall and try again sometime in the future.
Thanks for chiming in.

Bidi-bidi-bidi-bidi.

#4 2020-06-10 20:22:27

trollof

Looks like there's a quite awkward reason for it, you can read more here: https://github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop/issues/4717
The TLDR is that you'll have to use the official Telegram version (https://desktop.telegram.org/) for now.

#5 2020-06-11 15:47:10

Twiki
Banned

In my opening post, I had already linked to that issue at Github. And mentioned that the Arch package maintainer involved himself in that issue.
I'm not installing the official Telegram because I think that Pacman will not be aware of its installation.

Last edited by Twiki (2020-06-11 15:47:39)

Bidi-bidi-bidi-bidi.

#6 2020-06-13 11:16:23

Lone_Wolf

I have re-checked that issue and tried to remember under what circumstances I had the same error.

The issue may not be with the id/hash pair used during building , but with the pair used when making connection .

Try Logging off* your phone from telegram, then connecting from desktop .

* Open menu , choose settings, click the three-vertical-dot symbol at top right, choose log out .
That's where it is in the desktop client.

I found some messages stating that secrets chats will be lost when logging out, if you have those you could also try connecting with another phone.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2020-08-16 15:00:35

mrnobody

I've installed it from the site, and runs fine. Steps

* Download https://desktop.telegram.org/

unpack using

tar -xvf 'filehere'; cd Telegram; ./Telegram

Last edited by mrnobody (2020-08-16 15:02:12)

Board footer