You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-02 20:10:14

proudmuslim

GRUB error new install: booting in blind mode

I've just installed Arch for the second time, and everything went smoothly throughout the process except the bootloader installation. Long story short, whenever I boot into my SSD it sends me to the normal grub terminal (not rescue). Obviously, I set root, boot, and prefix to the given partitions/directories and then loaded the kernel (vmlinuz-linux-lts). However, attempting to boot from here gives an error about no suitable video mode being detected, and that the system is booting in blind mode, which freezes my screen and turns off my keyboard/mouse.

Last edited by proudmuslim (2020-06-02 20:13:22)

#2 2020-06-02 20:16:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: GRUB error new install: booting in blind mode

proudmuslim wrote:

Long story short

I would prefer the long version smile

Please list the exact commands that you used when installing, if you see a 'grub>' prompt then it can't find the configuration file. Use the set command to see where it's looking.

proudmuslim wrote:

attempting to fboot from here gives an error about no suitable video mod being detected, and that the system is booting in blind mode, which freezes my screen and turns off my keyboard/mouse.

List the available video modes with

videoinfo

Then try

set gfxmode=$mode

Replace $mode with an actual mode.

"It's impossible for a white person to believe in capitalism and not believe in racism. You can't have capitalism without racism."
— Malcolm X

#3 2020-06-02 20:26:19

proudmuslim

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
proudmuslim wrote:

Long story short

I'll give you it before I go to try your solutions (or rather, as I try them out) when installing, I ran

grub-install /dev/sdb --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=GRUB

then

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg --target=x86_64-efi 

(can't remember exact)

I essentially had issues where first my BIOS wasn't booting into the right partition (defaulting the to the windows partition which of course was also broken because of grub) after which we arrived at the point of this post

#4 2020-06-02 20:33:15

proudmuslim

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
proudmuslim wrote:

Long story short

Please list the exact commands that you used when installing, if you see a 'grub>' prompt then it can't find the configuration file. Use the set command to see where it's looking.

proudmuslim wrote:

attempting to fboot from here gives an error about no suitable video mod being detected, and that the system is booting in blind mode, which freezes my screen and turns off my keyboard/mouse.

List the available video modes with

videoinfo

Then try

set gfxmode=$mode

sorry for the partial answer, but grub seems to be using the EFI directory as the root directory as well, however I fixed that by setting root

#5 2020-06-02 20:35:53

proudmuslim

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
videoinfo

Then try

set gfxmode=$mode

Tried setting it to 1920x1080, same result

#6 2020-06-02 20:39:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

proudmuslim wrote:

when installing, I ran

grub-install /dev/sdb --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=GRUB

You don't need to specify the block device for a UEFI system, it will be ignored. Was that command run from the chroot environment? We really need to know the preceding commands so we can spot any earlier errors that may have ocurred.

proudmuslim wrote:

then

The --target= option isn't recognised by the grub-mkconfig script. And again, was that run from the chroot?

proudmuslim wrote:

I essentially had issues where first my BIOS wasn't booting into the right partition (defaulting the to the windows partition which of course was also broken because of grub) after which we arrived at the point of this post

Can we also see

# parted --list
efibootmgr -v

^ Those commands can be run from any live environment, either use one with a graphical desktop for ease of posting or use a pastebin client.

"It's impossible for a white person to believe in capitalism and not believe in racism. You can't have capitalism without racism."
— Malcolm X

#7 2020-06-02 20:45:35

proudmuslim

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
proudmuslim wrote:

when installing, I ran

You don't need to specify the block device for a UEFI system, it will be ignored. Was that command run from the chroot environment? We really need to know the preceding commands so we can spot any earlier errors that may have ocurred.

proudmuslim wrote:

then

The --target= option isn't recognised by the grub-mkconfig script. And again, was that run from the chroot?

proudmuslim wrote:

Can we also see

# parted --list
efibootmgr -v

^ Those commands can be run from any live environment, either use one with a graphical desktop for ease of posting or use a pastebin client.

Yes, I ran the commands from chroot. I'll get a live usb of another OS ready so I can run the commands and then upload the output to pastebin for you

Board footer