You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-16 22:16:08

-LXR-

System goes into recovery shell, live CD cannot chroot.

My laptop, Core i5 6200U, was previously having problems running and was often freezing with no way out except going into shell doing a reboot. I thought maybe some of my system files were corrupt I did a system upgrade "pacman -Su" to see if that would fix my problems. Unfortunately my computer froze during the upgrade, I gave it ten minutes and with no sign of hope, I rebooted. This made my corrupted my system and put me in the emergency shell with no keyboard access. I booted into a live CD and tried reinstalling the basic packages, base, and linux, linux-firmware. It appeared that multiple files inside the lib and bin directories were corrupt returning   "[filename].so is empty, was not checked" so I deleted the two directories (yes, I realize now this was a very foolish move of me) and tried installing the basic packages again. It appeared to do absolutely nothing except for the fact that I could no longer chroot into the corrupt system because "bin/bash" was missing.

Should I just start fresh and do a reinstall or is there a way I can recover from this cataclysmic mess that I got myself into?

#2 2020-06-16 22:22:30

loqs

Re: System goes into recovery shell, live CD cannot chroot.

It is recoverable. Follow Pacman#Pacman_crashes_during_an_upgrade
As you can not chroot in replace 4 with:

pacman --root=/mnt --cachedir=/mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg -Syu

similarly adjust 6.

Board footer