You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-03 19:03:23

hbarnwheeler

A question about Application features

I am thinking of switching from gentoo to arch, and have a question about app features that is best illustrated by example.  On gentoo, if I want a media player, for instance, to support codec X, I add X to a USE variable in the make config file.  This ensures that the application (indeed all applications) which can support codec X, will be compiled with X support.  How is this accomplished on binary based distributions, particularly arch?

To put this another way:  Suppose I want to ensure that my media player supports the wmv, ogg, mp3, etc formats.  How would I go about doing that?

#2 2006-10-03 20:41:22

liem
Website

Re: A question about Application features

Arch, as a binary distribution, doesn't handle that. The binary packages comes with sane defaults most people want.

Arch, as a source distribution, handle that trough abs and friends. You just edit the PKGBUILD for you particular package with your special option, run makepkg and then pacman -A $package. The wiki will tell you more about exact process.

Really simple both ways. However there is no way to automatically turn off/on a option in all PKGBUILDs, Gentoo is rather unique in that way.

Sebastian  A. Liem

Board footer