You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-04 16:42:04

Zmyrgel

Can't compile kernel

I've been trying to get my kernel to compile but it always fails. I have kernel-headers package installed but it still won't compile it. I tried to just reconfigure the kernel26beyond kernel but it failed. Then I tested it on vanilla kernel downloaded from kernel.org manually pathed and it failed too. Then I installed the kernel26suspend2 package and tried to recompile it but then again when building it, it fails. Here's output.

[root@Chimaera linux]# make && make modules_install
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/i386/Kconfig
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  UPD     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
  MKELF   scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/file2alias.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/modpost.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/sumversion.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/mod/modpost
  HOSTCC  scripts/kallsyms
  HOSTCC  scripts/conmakehash
scripts/Makefile.build:17: /usr/src/linux-2.6.18-suspend2/init/Makefile: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa ei ole
make[1]: *** Kohteen "/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-suspend2/init/Makefile" tuottamiseen ei ole sääntöä. Seis.
make: *** [init] Virhe 2

Any idea how to get a kernel compiled? Just trying to compile vanilla kernel to see if the patch are the cause which is quite odd as someone has already compiled them once...

#2 2006-10-04 16:45:55

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Can't compile kernel

/usr/src does not contain the full kernel source.  Please either use the PKGBUILD (prefered method - see the wiki) or download your own source and build it somewhere else.

Also note, you should not be building things as root, do it as a normal user and do the install portions only as root.

#3 2006-10-04 19:24:12

Zmyrgel

Re: Can't compile kernel

I downloaded the full source but even that had problems... I tested it with plain vanilla source with any patch so the problem seem to be the patching itself. I'll try to figure out the exact cause. Probably try the patching again and compile until I succeed.

Board footer