You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-05 03:55:22

twiistedkaos

Gnome: Getting rid of certain things

I recently switched by to gnome so I could use Xgl / Compiz. Theres a few things I really hate about gnome though, one: it's panel. Two: nautilus. I am wondering because everytime I kill the panel / nautilus they just pop back up. Is there a way I can completely replace them with pypanel & thunar without gnome bitching at me?

#2 2006-10-05 12:05:27

detto

Re: Gnome: Getting rid of certain things

Dont know exactly if its that possible, but try to go to System->Preferences->Session&Startup and click on 2nd tab. There is a little list of gnome programs that get started (better said: are part of your gnome-session) where you can remove some of them and maybe this is the trick you're searching for big_smile

cheers,
detto

#3 2006-10-05 16:26:40

twiistedkaos

Hmm, I'll see when I get home but I bleive that I already tried this atleaste once. My alternative is switching to xfce or something. Which I am sincerly thinking about since gnomke is a resource hog.

#4 2006-10-05 16:53:23

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

1. Dont have nautilus handle the desktop. This will remove icons on the desktop too, and nautilus will not need to run all the time, as it won't be drawing the icons.
There is a gconf for it..can't remember it offhand.

2. Try using openbox instead of metacity. I love this setup myself. pacman -Sy openbox
then add 'openbox --replace' to your gnome session. (to test, you can open a terminal and type 'openbox --replace' too).

Not sure if there is any way to remove gnome-panel.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2006-10-05 18:13:52

mucknert

Begging pardon but what use is Gnome if you do not want to use the panel if not for Nautilus and the Panel? Metacity sure is not reason enough (just in my opinion). I'd say: just screw Gnome (it is still a great DE, though) and go for openbox + pypanel + thunar if you don't like Nautilus and the Panel.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#6 2006-10-05 19:42:25

twiistedkaos

mucknert wrote:

Begging pardon but what use is Gnome if you do not want to use the panel if not for Nautilus and the Panel? Metacity sure is not reason enough (just in my opinion). I'd say: just screw Gnome (it is still a great DE, though) and go for openbox + pypanel + thunar if you don't like Nautilus and the Panel.

The answer is simple, I don't use metacity O.o. Lol, I am only using gnome because I wanted to give Xgl / Compiz a try. I just don't happen to like nautilus and gnome-panel.

#7 2006-10-05 22:34:27

sh__

twiistedkaos wrote:

Lol, I am only using gnome because I wanted to give Xgl / Compiz a try. I just don't happen to like nautilus and gnome-panel.

You should try beryl (a fork of compiz), it works with GNOME/KDE/XFCE (or even without a DE). The Arch wiki is here.

#8 2006-10-05 23:19:49

twiistedkaos

sounds good, I'll give this a try soon. Thanks for your post smile

#9 2006-10-06 06:51:16

mucknert

twiistedkaos wrote:

The answer is simple, I don't use metacity O.o. Lol, I am only using gnome because I wanted to give Xgl / Compiz a try. I just don't happen to like nautilus and gnome-panel.

Whoopie! Sorry.  :oops:

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#10 2006-10-06 15:01:46

iphitus
Forum Fellow

yeah... with compiz, you're dropping metacity, and without nautilus and the panel, you're practically not even using gnome. use beryl and start straight into it. its in [unstable].

James

Board footer