You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-04 18:41:11

capitanito

[SOLVED] Internal Sound or internal microphone [Solution in post #8]

Hello Archers,

### MY PROBLEM ###
I'm on Arch for some weeks now and love it but the journey has recently begun.
Two days ago I wanted to try out if zoom works because I needed it and figured out that the internal microphone was not registered inside system.

### QUESTIONS FOR MORE INFORMATION ARE WELCOME ###
It is my second post and I hope that I posted everything that has to be inside of a post of this kind. Keeping in mind the respective sticked thread about what should be inside a post my logs et cetera are all at the end of this post if they were not mentioned before. Also if there is something missing just tell me and I will post it.)

### WHAT ALREADY HAPPENED ###

After some digging I figured out, that there is a file /etc/modprobe.d/disable_dmic.conf with the follwing content:

options snd_hda_intel dmic_detect=0 

As I found out there were some trouble about this with the Kernelversion 5.4 - not only in Arch systems.

Anyway I installed the sof-firmware package via pacman (actually I don't remember the exact point when I did it but at the moment it is installed). The were some similar issues with (not only but surely) hp, dell and acer modells (mostly relatively new models and the Realtek ALC285, as it is in my case, or similar). After installing the Package I was able to see some recording devices in alsamixer, which was not the case before. Therefore I think it was part of the solution.

Now the thing is when I comment out the only line of this file, save it and reboot I am acutally able to use the internal microphone and it also works with a bluetooth headset (sound and microphone instead of only the sound; unfortunately I have no wired headset around at the moment for testing) but the internal speakers do not work in any way in this case.

Well now I got the problem in a cage but wanted to find out what is actually the difference between the two cases and started some analytic stuff using mainly but not only the Arch Wiki, some documentations and a bunch of forums. Now I got to a point where I found a difference:

using the command hwdetect --show-modules I got a difference (see full codes at the end of this post in the CODES - section):

With options snd_hda_intel dmic_detect=0 active at startup and therefore working internal speakers but no microphone support (from the tested ones internal and bt headset):

snd-hda-codec-generic
snd-hda-codec-hdmi
snd-hda-codec-realtek

Which is not part of the output with #options snd_hda_intel dmic_detect=0 inside of the forementioned disable_dmic.conf file. But in this case the microphones work and also does the BT Headset sound. In this case i have the following active modules instead of the three mentioned above:

snd-soc-dmic
snd-soc-hdac-hdmi
snd-soc-skl_hda_dsp

What I did not test yet is HDMI support in any of the cases but I think I will be able to do so in the next few days.

What I also observed is that I get an audio-signal during the playback of audio inside of pavucontrol but the speakers keep muted.

Just to be clear: I alredy checked alsamixer, pavucontrol and the audio settings for inputs and outputs in both cases ...
But maybe the is a hint what I did not do for now (actually I am quite impressed how many options exist to manage audio devices).

I just wanted to share this up to this point because I did not find this in a forum yet as far as I reached and if it helps at least one single person to solve the same problem much faster it is worth it.

My next steps will be informing myself about the modules as I am relatively new really diving into the world of Linux and not just having it as a dualboot that I just use for some time and go back to Windows OS.

Maybe there could be some sort of advice how I can get solved this faster but as said for now I did this post mostly for public documentation of the issue and I will keep you updated as I go foreward.

### HARD- AND SOFTWARE INFORMATION ###

GENERAL SYSTEM INFORMATION:

Operating System: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.71.0
Qt Version: 5.15.0
Kernel Version: 5.7.7-arch1-1
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 15.4 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620

DEVICE:

hp EliteBook x360 1040 G6 (it is a special eduacational modell and shipped without OS)

LOGS

Actually I did not find any log file in /ver/log that seemed to be relevant to this issue.
Just in case I can post those logs if needed. Here is the folders content:

folders:
- audit (locked)
- cups (empty)
- journal (empty)
- lightdm (locked)
- old (empty)
- private (locked)
- teamviewer15 (empty)

files:
btmp (locked)
wtmp

$ sudo mkinitcpio -p linux >> $HOME/issue.log with /etc/modprobe.d/disable_dmic.conf disabled

content of the .log-file

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: 5.7.7-arch1-1
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img

$ sudo mkinitcpio -p linux >> $HOME/issue.log with /etc/modprobe.d/disable_dmic.conf enabled

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img

(as far as I see there is no difference).

### CODES INVOLVED ###

hwdetect --show-modules with /etc/modprobe.d/disable_dmic.conf disabled

$ hwdetect --show-modules
find: ‘/sys/kernel/tracing’: Permission denied
find: ‘/sys/kernel/debug’: Permission denied
find: ‘/sys/fs/pstore’: Permission denied
find: ‘/sys/fs/bpf’: Permission denied
AGP      : agpgart intel-gtt 
ACPI     : ac battery 
BLOCK    : uvcvideo xhci-hcd xhci-pci 
BLUETOOTH: btbcm btintel btrtl btusb bluetooth 
CPUFREQ  : acpi-cpufreq pcc-cpufreq 
CRYPTO   : aesni-intel crc32c-intel crc32-pclmul crct10dif-pclmul ghash-clmulni-intel glue_helper cryptd crypto_simd ecc ecdh_generic 
DRM      : drm_kms_helper drm i915 
HWMON    : coretemp 
I2C      : i2c-algo-bit i2c-i801 
INPUT    : evdev input-leds joydev atkbd soc_button_array mousedev psmouse i8042 libps2 serio serio_raw sparse-keymap hid-generic hid hid-multitouch hid-sensor-hub i2c-hid intel-ish-ipc intel-ishtp-hid intel-ishtp intel-ishtp-loader usbhid wacom 
KVM      : kvm-intel kvm 
MEDIA    : cec videobuf2-common videobuf2-memops videobuf2-v4l2 videobuf2-vmalloc mc rc-core uvcvideo videodev 
NET      : fjes iwlwifi bluetooth rfkill cfg80211 
SOUND    : pcspkr ac97_bus snd-compress snd-hwdep snd snd-pcm-dmaengine snd-pcm snd-timer snd-hda-ext-core snd-hda-core snd-intel-dspcfg snd-hda-codec snd-hda-intel snd-soc-dmic snd-soc-hdac-hda snd-soc-hdac-hdmi snd-soc-skl_hda_dsp snd-soc-acpi-intel-match snd-soc-sst-dsp snd-soc-sst-ipc snd-soc-skl snd-soc-acpi snd-soc-core snd-sof-intel-byt snd-sof-intel-hda-common snd-sof-intel-hda snd-sof-intel-ipc snd-sof snd-sof-pci snd-sof-xtensa-dsp soundcore 
TPM      : tpm_crb tpm tpm_tis_core tpm_tis 
WATCHDOG : iTCO_vendor_support iTCO_wdt mei_wdt 
OTHER    : intel-cstate intel-rapl-perf intel-uncore rng-core idma64 hid-sensor-accel-3d industrialio-triggered-buffer kfifo_buf hid-sensor-iio-common hid-sensor-trigger hid-sensor-gyro-3d industrialio hid-sensor-als hid-sensor-magn-3d hid-sensor-incl-3d hid-sensor-rotation ledtrig-audio mac_hid intel-lpss intel-lpss-pci mei_hdcp mei cros_ec_ishtp cros_ec hp-wireless hp-wmi intel-hid intel-wmi-thunderbolt wmi-bmof wmi intel_rapl_common intel_rapl_msr acpi_thermal_rel int3400_thermal int3403_thermal int340x_thermal_zone processor_thermal_device intel_pch_thermal intel_powerclamp intel_soc_dts_iosf x86_pkg_temp_thermal thunderbolt fb_sys_fops syscopyarea sysfillrect sysimgblt crc16 irqbypass 

hwdetect --show-modules with /etc/modprobe.d/disable_dmic.conf enabled

$ hwdetect --show-modules
find: ‘/sys/kernel/tracing’: Permission denied
find: ‘/sys/kernel/debug’: Permission denied
find: ‘/sys/fs/pstore’: Permission denied
find: ‘/sys/fs/bpf’: Permission denied
AGP      : agpgart intel-gtt 
ACPI     : ac battery 
BLOCK    : uvcvideo xhci-hcd xhci-pci 
BLUETOOTH: btbcm btintel btrtl btusb bluetooth 
CPUFREQ  : acpi-cpufreq pcc-cpufreq 
CRYPTO   : aesni-intel crc32c-intel crc32-pclmul crct10dif-pclmul ghash-clmulni-intel glue_helper cryptd crypto_simd ecc ecdh_generic 
DRM      : drm_kms_helper drm i915 
HWMON    : coretemp 
I2C      : i2c-algo-bit i2c-i801 
INPUT    : evdev input-leds joydev atkbd soc_button_array mousedev psmouse i8042 libps2 serio serio_raw sparse-keymap hid-generic hid hid-multitouch hid-sensor-hub i2c-hid intel-ish-ipc intel-ishtp-hid intel-ishtp intel-ishtp-loader usbhid wacom 
KVM      : kvm-intel kvm 
MEDIA    : cec videobuf2-common videobuf2-memops videobuf2-v4l2 videobuf2-vmalloc mc rc-core uvcvideo videodev 
NET      : fjes iwlwifi bluetooth rfkill cfg80211 
SOUND    : pcspkr ac97_bus snd-compress snd-hwdep snd snd-pcm-dmaengine snd-pcm snd-timer snd-hda-ext-core snd-hda-core snd-intel-dspcfg snd-hda-codec-generic snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-codec snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-intel snd-soc-hdac-hda snd-soc-acpi-intel-match snd-soc-sst-dsp snd-soc-sst-ipc snd-soc-skl snd-soc-acpi snd-soc-core snd-sof-intel-byt snd-sof-intel-hda-common snd-sof-intel-hda snd-sof-intel-ipc snd-sof snd-sof-pci snd-sof-xtensa-dsp soundcore 
TPM      : tpm_crb tpm tpm_tis_core tpm_tis 
WATCHDOG : iTCO_vendor_support iTCO_wdt mei_wdt 
OTHER    : intel-cstate intel-rapl-perf intel-uncore rng-core idma64 hid-sensor-accel-3d industrialio-triggered-buffer kfifo_buf hid-sensor-iio-common hid-sensor-trigger hid-sensor-gyro-3d industrialio hid-sensor-als hid-sensor-magn-3d hid-sensor-incl-3d hid-sensor-rotation ledtrig-audio mac_hid intel-lpss intel-lpss-pci mei_hdcp mei cros_ec_ishtp cros_ec hp-wireless hp-wmi intel-hid intel-wmi-thunderbolt wmi-bmof wmi intel_rapl_common intel_rapl_msr acpi_thermal_rel int3400_thermal int3403_thermal int340x_thermal_zone processor_thermal_device intel_pch_thermal intel_powerclamp intel_soc_dts_iosf x86_pkg_temp_thermal thunderbolt fb_sys_fops syscopyarea sysfillrect sysimgblt crc16 irqbypass 

I hope that I am on the right track to hunt down the problem. If I should take something else in count I would be glad for any advice wink

cheerio

Last edited by capitanito (2020-08-05 03:01:45)

#2 2020-07-04 18:56:37

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Internal Sound or internal microphone [Solution in post #8]

capitanito wrote:

After some digging I figured out, that there is a file /etc/modprobe.d/disable_dmic.conf

You didn't create this file? Where did it come from?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2020-07-04 19:11:04

capitanito

jasonwryan wrote:
capitanito wrote:

After some digging I figured out, that there is a file /etc/modprobe.d/disable_dmic.conf

You didn't create this file? Where did it come from?

I don't know. I made the Arch install about one month ago and most things worked fine. And I was not bothering myself about that topic as everything worked out.
But as I wanted to do recordings I started to wonder why this is the case and at some point I found that file but I did not create it ...

Last edited by capitanito (2020-07-04 19:13:15)

#4 2020-07-04 21:02:29

capitanito

Possibly I simply forgot that I created this file when I did it right after setting up the system. In this case it's just a workaround that solved one problem in change for another one ...

As I said it still is my first serious approach to live just on linux and at the time I set up the system I was new and just happy when things worked. I am still learing about the whole Linux world.

I expect to give some Updates (HDMI testing et cetera) during the upcoming week.

#5 2020-07-04 21:08:58

capitanito

Another (maybe related) issue is that all the keys for screen brightness, volume control and so on worked out of the box except for the microphone mute key (F8 on the keyboard; actually it is F20).
This does not bother me that much and as I have read in some research it can be resolved with a remapping of this specific key but at the moment I am focusing on the naked ability of the system to work properly than diving into stuff like key remapping to solve a comfort problem.

And maybe the solution for the topics problem fixes this failure too, which I prefer in comparison with a workaround through the remapping of the keys.

Last edited by capitanito (2020-07-04 21:10:45)

#6 2020-07-04 21:35:00

TheStroyer

If I were you I would try another distro like Ubuntu and see if the problem is still there.

#7 2020-07-04 23:18:04

capitanito

Do you think testing it using a live-USB stick is enough ?
Do you recommend Ubuntu as a non Arch based distro or would it be a better attempt to try manjaro ?

In any case I will give it a try and post the results wink

Last edited by capitanito (2020-07-04 23:26:33)

#8 2020-08-02 22:11:20

JKos

Hey there,
don't know whether you have solved your problem yet, but I've been through the same thing with my HP ZBook 15 G6 in last few days.

Definitelly remove this line:

so that the legacy driver is not loaded - you won't see any mic with the legacy driver loaded, since the mic input is exclusivelly digital.

After applying changes, open the alsamixer, switch to the sof-hda-dsp soundcard using the F6 key and check, whether the Master channel is unmuted (press M key to unmute) - it is muted by default and it is easy to overlook, since the audio does not unmute automatically after cranking up the volume.

Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HP … u_G6#Audio
(With the current kernel and sof-firmware package, you don't need to edit the /etc/pulse/default.pa file.)

After reboot, the audio will be muted once again. To make unmuting persistent, run this command:

alsactl store

Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad … nd_Systemd

Last edited by JKos (2020-08-02 22:46:35)

#9 2020-08-05 02:59:58

capitanito

JKos wrote:

Hey there,
don't know whether you have solved your problem yet, but I've been through the same thing with my HP ZBook 15 G6 in last few days.

so that the legacy driver is not loaded - you won't see any mic with the legacy driver loaded, since the mic input is exclusivelly digital.

After applying changes, open the alsamixer, switch to the sof-hda-dsp soundcard using the F6 key and check, whether the Master channel is unmuted (press M key to unmute) - it is muted by default and it is easy to overlook, since the audio does not unmute automatically after cranking up the volume.

(With the current kernel and sof-firmware package, you don't need to edit the /etc/pulse/default.pa file.)

After reboot, the audio will be muted once again. To make unmuting persistent, run this command:

alsactl store

@JKos
Actually I was occupied with some other stuff and was not able to do all the testing I planned to do (actually I tried out some distros but did not take me the time to write everything in a detailed way; It worked in one of 4 tested distros from a live usb drive but I do not even remember which it was ...) and  I just used the legacy drivers as it worked out for what I needed at the moment, but:

I did what you told me to do and it worked out (just tried it without the persistence but I assume that it will work and only mention it if it will not). I do not know why I did not get it working when I was playing around with alsamixer (in one case there was a Master Volume that did not turn on by using the M key.
Anyway I realized some (short) time ago that there was a Kernel Update while I was just doing a reagular update of the system. I assume that this fixed it.

Thanks a lot for your help. As a result I will assign this thread as solved *thumbs up*

Last edited by capitanito (2020-08-05 03:06:26)

#10 2020-08-05 03:15:32

capitanito

Solution working for my system (hp EliteBook x360 1040 G6) and as mentioned also for hp ZBook 15 G6

Thanks to JKos for the providing the solution and the respective links:

JKos wrote:

Hey there,

alsactl store

Board footer