You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-06 00:52:57

Tumultus

[SOLVED] Switching from Gnome to Plasma

After many years, I finally had it with Gnome and I would like to give KDE a shot. I've studied the Wiki and I am confident that I can install it without any issues. However, I do not want to preload the system with the complete KDE application package and I am a bit unsure what I would need besides the basic plasma-desktop? Is there anything I need to look out for? Looking through some posts here and elsewhere, it seems to be a little bit tricky to get Discover to work properly?

Any hints / help on what to look out for would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Tumultus (2020-07-06 20:01:11)

Listing spec's is not a review!

#2 2020-07-06 14:46:03

twelveeighty

Re: [SOLVED] Switching from Gnome to Plasma

Read the fine Wiki and install it on a virtual machine to make up your own mind before deciding.

Personally, I would stay far away from Discover, or any other "packaging" tool that is not pacman.

#3 2020-07-06 15:10:08

Tumultus

I understand. twelveeighty.

Essentially, I am using Discover (or Gnome Software Center at the moment) to see what is out there and to "discover" software / applications that I haven't heard of yet. Just need it working for that simple purpose and the "Updates available" notification, so, that I don't need to check manually all the time.

Had it already running in a VM. Run into kwallet issues which doesn't seem to be as straight-forward as Gnome keyrings (unless you choose blowfish).

Will have to play around some more. Just trying to determine what I need for a stable system. I hate cluttering up my machine. ?

#4 2020-07-06 18:06:17

V1del
Forum Moderator

Only you know what you need... plasma-desktop will give you plain plasma. What you are going to do beyond that depends on what you want to do.  You've only mentioned discover, that should be workable to the same extent as gnome software, by installing it's relevant dependencies.

#5 2020-07-06 19:59:49

Tumultus

Thanks for the input, V1del. I'll just jump into it and see. If I get stuck, I know where to find the Wiki or the forums. lol

#6 2020-07-06 20:07:51

ewaller
Administrator

One parting comment....   Realize that you do not need to uninstall Gnome to install Plasma.  They can be installed side-by-side, and it is even possible to run them both at the same time on different consoles.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2020-07-06 21:34:54

Tumultus

Yeah, I know. At the moment, I am simply fed up with Gnome, hence the switch to Plasma. Just want to do it properly, so, that I don't have to start over later.

Board footer