You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-07 22:48:07

L-0F-F
Website

Package Deletion Request: python-alluvium

Hello All,

I submitted a new AUR package recently python-alluvium.
The package was submitted without errors, and installs as expected.

I recently noticed there was a PRQ: for deletion, but the subject seemed reason seemed vague: "git package in disguise".

Upon re-checking the package I did realize that the Upstream URL contained a VAR($pkgver) which, I realised doesn't evaluate in the AUR web-UI, even though the package would install properly based on the VAR being evaluated properly in session, from the PKGBUILD.

I'm wondering if thë "git package in disguise" reason for the deletion, is meant to bë "git package is disguised"
--

I've since fixed the url, but wanted to see if there could be some other reason for the deletion request.
I've read, and re-read and read the Submission Guidlines, and nothing stands out, as being a contravention of the guidelines.

** Hoping someone may be able to shed some light.

#2 2020-07-07 23:04:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Package Deletion Request: python-alluvium

If you are building from a dynamic source such as git, your package name should end in -git:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VC … guidelines

Submitting a deletion request because of this seems odd, but your package does need to be fixed.  Beyond that, the PKGBUILD seems a bit of a mess.  You define the source array twice - I gather the second overrides the first, but then why is the first there?  And what is PKGVER?  You check if it's defined, but it isn't defined anywhere in the PKGBUILD.  Get rid of it.

You also have conflicts and provides that shouldn't be there.

As for the webUI issue, if you properly generate the SRCINFO before uploading, the web interface will show the version (at the time the SRCINFO was generated).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-07-07 23:28:31

L-0F-F
Website

@Trilby

- thanks for looking it over.
- will handle each now, and resolve.

The WebUI issue is related to:
- when I use

source="url/{$_pkgname}"

- the AUR webUI list the upstream url as:

source="url/{$_pkgname}"

; rather than

source="url/alluvium"

* That may be related to something else though.

* I do re-generate the SRCINFO after any changes, If I don't then the final push fails.

I'll resolve the issues you highlighted.

Cheers.

#4 2020-07-07 23:37:03

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you properly regenerated the .SRCINFO file, the aur web would have the proper source url, that's how it works.

But it looks like you did do this properly and both the SRCINFO and web UI both already have the correct source url.

EDIT: oh, wait, the actual upstream url, that may be different. EDIT2: nope, that works too.  But shell variables are not expanded within single quotes if that's how you used to have it.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-07-07 23:41:22)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-07-08 00:25:32

L-0F-F
Website

CLEANED/ER

python-alluvium-git > https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/python-alluvium-git/
---

@Trilby, Appreciate the detailed responses & assist.

Cheers.

Last edited by L-0F-F (2020-07-08 00:34:00)

#6 2020-07-08 00:29:10

L-0F-F
Website

I'll submit a request delete the original: python-alluvium.

@Trilby, in your experience, faster to disown the package and submit request?
Or - Just submit request?

#7 2020-07-08 00:53:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

There should be no need to disown it.

#8 2020-07-08 01:19:55

eschwartz
Fellow

You are forbidden to use ${BRANCH:-master} to decide which branch to build based on external influences. For that matter, there's only the one branch upstream anyway... you can just omit the #branch= section.

Why do you have BUILDENV+=('!check')? That's supposed to be the user's choice...

The package is a utility program, not a python module library, so it doesn't need the "python-" prefix and probably should not have it. Why not just call it "alluvium"?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Py … setuptools setuptools is a depends, not a makedepends, since you use setuptools entry points.

You do not need to use source renaming: "$_pkgname::". The repository is already called $_pkgname.

local CHKSUM=$(git rev-list master | head -n1)

This variable isn't even used. But if it was used, it would be wrong, since you need to operate on HEAD. The PKGBUILD doesn't use master, it fetches origin/master and updates the branch "makepkg", so incremental builds will leave "master" out of date...

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#9 2020-07-08 03:39:40

L-0F-F
Website

@eschwartz, thanks for the feedback.

I'll address & fix them accordingly.

Cheers.

eschwartz wrote:

You are forbidden to use ${BRANCH:-master} to decide which branch to build based on external influences. For that matter, there's only the one branch upstream anyway... you can just omit the #branch= section.

Why do you have BUILDENV+=('!check')? That's supposed to be the user's choice...

The package is a utility program, not a python module library, so it doesn't need the "python-" prefix and probably should not have it. Why not just call it "alluvium"?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Py … setuptools setuptools is a depends, not a makedepends, since you use setuptools entry points.

You do not need to use source renaming: "$_pkgname::". The repository is already called $_pkgname.

local CHKSUM=$(git rev-list master | head -n1)

This variable isn't even used. But if it was used, it would be wrong, since you need to operate on HEAD. The PKGBUILD doesn't use master, it fetches origin/master and updates the branch "makepkg", so incremental builds will leave "master" out of date...

#10 2020-07-08 03:41:08

eschwartz
Fellow

Thanks. smile

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer