You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-12 17:01:06

Pena

[SOLVED]Davinci Resolve no video play back

So i wanted to install DaVinci Resolve(the free one, im not made of money) so i proceeded and managed to run the program
the problem is that the program doesnt play video or audio regardless of the extension(be it mp3, mp4, webm, etc..) it does however play images
Sometimes when i drag to the timeline it doesnt even create a track and when it does it just shows a green bar without any audio or features(with the correct timing a think)  and on the screen that shows the compiled video it shows black
when i play it it stays black and no audio, the images as i said work and they properly show on the screen
I havent tested if theres more problems because i quitted and moved on to shotcut, but shotcut is proving to be to limited so i reinstalled it like 5 times(sometimes with a different instalation process) but none work and lead to the same outcome
I even read some ubuntu install article and i made some soft links in the /usr/(etc...) dir's but still no fix

some advice for other video editors? i have heard of kdenlive but i dont know if i can do video masks with tracking(to copy and paste)(im still learning but i want some software with a high skill ceilling so i dont have to switch softwares)

Last edited by Pena (2020-11-18 08:22:07)

#2 2020-07-12 17:31:02

d_fajardo

Re: [SOLVED]Davinci Resolve no video play back

Kdenlive is fine. I have also used openshot in the past. I thought of using DaVinci but Kdenlive already provides what I need so I thought against it.
Of course there's more: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … Multimedia

Last edited by d_fajardo (2020-07-12 19:04:05)

#3 2020-07-12 19:22:34

Pena

d_fajardo wrote:

Kdenlive is fine. I have also used openshot in the past. I thought of using DaVinci but Kdenlive already provides what I need so I thought against it.
Of course there's more: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … Multimedia

I will try it
but i would prefer a software that would give me a garantee that i wouldnt have to switch in the future because it lacks a important feature

--edit--
The problems still unresolved

Last edited by Pena (2020-07-12 19:23:10)

#4 2020-07-12 20:33:22

d_fajardo

You can try Cinelerrra or Lightworks. Both are professional cuts. I haven't tried Lightworks. I had a look at Cinelerra in the past but went back to Kdenlive. It really depends on what kind of editing you will do. For the things I do, I like the intuitive interface of Kdenlive and I can do things fairly quickly.

Last edited by d_fajardo (2020-07-12 20:39:17)

#5 2020-07-12 22:58:29

Morn

The built-in video editor in Blender is supposed to be very stable and professional. Kdenlive has many features but it crashes from time to time. Personally I tend to use Shotcut...

#6 2020-07-13 01:19:04

Pena

Morn wrote:

The built-in video editor in Blender is supposed to be very stable and professional. Kdenlive has many features but it crashes from time to time. Personally I tend to use Shotcut...

I thought of blender but people say its interface is unorthodox and unconventional which even if i just wanna master one video editing software i want one who can give me the ability(even if i wont) to hop between software also the last time i installed blender for 3d modelling and i didn't like its UI(to be fair i didn't use it for that long)

d_fajardo wrote:

You can try Cinelerrra or Lightworks. Both are professional cuts. I haven't tried Lightworks. I had a look at Cinelerra in the past but went back to Kdenlive. It really depends on what kind of editing you will do. For the things I do, I like the intuitive interface of Kdenlive and I can do things fairly quickly.

i heard of lightworks its adobe right? is it free? or even freemium? what about cinelerrra?
I literally just wanna remove a background from a moving object like rotoscoping or the rotary tool from after effects(if i didnt misprounounce or got it wrong)
i just wanna select a object even if i have to do it manually frame by frame and then erase everything around it and duplicate a bunch of times

For some context im trying to learn editing by doing YouTube poops, truth be told it isn't the most professional setting but to make a good one requires a lot more editing skills then your average video(and a bunch more creativity even if at worst theyre just unfunny jokes)

#7 2020-07-13 07:55:51

apaz

Blender is powerful, but different from other NLEs: it can be difficult for a beginner. Same for Cinelerra-GG (attention: not Cinelerra CV or HV): it may be the richest and most powerful NLE open for linux, but the learning curve is steep. I use Cinelerra-GG.

Last edited by apaz (2020-07-13 07:56:32)

#8 2020-07-13 11:25:12

Morn

Pena wrote:

I thought of blender but people say its interface is unorthodox and unconventional which even if i just wanna master one video editing software i want one who can give me the ability(even if i wont) to hop between software also the last time i installed blender for 3d modelling and i didn't like its UI(to be fair i didn't use it for that long)

Blender's UI has changed massively for the better last year, so depending on when you last tried it you might want to give it another chance. The Blender Open Movies have been cut and composited with Blender (and rendered too of course), so at least the Blender NLE has the distinction of having been used on real film projects with sophisticated production pipelines. That  probably cannot be said for the other non-commercial Linux NLEs.

As for user interface, I think it's a given that the UIs of Kdenlive, Shotcut, DaVinci, Blender etc. are all a bit different so you will have to relearn if you hop between editors. So I would not worry too much about how similar UIs are. Just pick something that has all the features you need and does not crash and lose your work (ahem, Kdenlive).

#9 2020-07-13 11:55:14

Pena

Morn wrote:
Pena wrote:

Blender's UI has changed massively for the better last year, so depending on when you last tried it you might want to give it another chance. The Blender Open Movies have been cut and composited with Blender (and rendered too of course), so at least the Blender NLE has the distinction of having been used on real film projects with sophisticated production pipelines. That  probably cannot be said for the other non-commercial Linux NLEs.

As for user interface, I think it's a given that the UIs of Kdenlive, Shotcut, DaVinci, Blender etc. are all a bit different so you will have to relearn if you hop between editors. So I would not worry too much about how similar UIs are. Just pick something that has all the features you need and does not crash and lose your work (ahem, Kdenlive).

I hate hopping its already the third time i hop between softwares i really just need to remove a background from a moving object but i will take your consideration in mind if kdenlive doesnt have that capability

-------
i know at this point the thread already derailed a bit from how to solve davinci to which software is best but does anyone know how to remove background from a moving object in kdenlive every time i search it
the massive amount of videos on how to chroma key probably hide the video im looking for

#10 2020-07-13 15:02:03

d_fajardo

Pena wrote:

does anyone know how to remove background from a moving object

That is a tough one. I haven't considered  doing that or even thought about it. The difficulty of the problem is how do you tell the software which is background and which is not? And if you can how far of the detail of the background are you able to tell it to isolate?
Normally in the video making process, you will shoot a scene with a blank background and super-impose the background later on like they do in Harry Potter or Star Wars, but removing a background from already burned-in video is probably not an easy thing to do to do unless you're willing to remove the background frame by frame.
But I might be wrong. There might be a program there that's got a Magic Wand like in GIMP that can clearly isolate the foreground and delete the background but even that requires that your background doesn't have too many details.
If someone has done this thing before or knows how to do this with fairly easily, please share your experience as I'm intrigued on how it can be done as well.

#11 2020-07-13 15:18:30

Morn

Here somebody does this with ffmpeg: https://www.arj.no/2020/02/21/image-masks/

Of course he needs an empty frame with just the background to start with, but his video has that at the beginning. And he has no shadows in the shot, which also makes it easier to create a clean matte.

#12 2020-07-13 16:20:14

d_fajardo

Of course. I've completely forgot about ffmpeg since got caught up with the GUI's. Thanks for the link.

#13 2020-07-13 16:31:24

Morn

d_fajardo wrote:

Of course. I've completely forgot about ffmpeg since got caught up with the GUI's. Thanks for the link.

Actually ImageMagick seems to do most of the work, ffmpeg is just for keyframe extraction. But I suppose the same approach could be used for intermediate frames too.

P.S. Kdenlive has rotoscoping (https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua … otoscoping) support, so that might be the best solution in this case. Rotoscoping is also how this is done by VFX studios...

Last edited by Morn (2020-07-14 10:45:49)

#14 2020-11-13 08:36:54

Pena

Morn wrote:
d_fajardo wrote:

Actually ImageMagick seems to do most of the work, ffmpeg is just for keyframe extraction. But I suppose the same approach could be used for intermediate frames too.

P.S. Kdenlive has rotoscoping (https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua … otoscoping) support, so that might be the best solution in this case. Rotoscoping is also how this is done by VFX studios...

Welp i ended up doing everything manually
But after editting the full video ive realised how much kdenlive Sucks
So althought ive been kinda distracted this issue is not solved i wish to fix the inicial issue asked

#15 2020-11-13 14:59:23

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Pena wrote:

i wish to fix the inicial issue asked

You may want to start a new thread then.
I suggest you check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Da … stallation and post the output of the davinci-resolve-checker mentioned there.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#16 2020-11-15 20:02:53

Pena

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Pena wrote:

i wish to fix the inicial issue asked

You may want to start a new thread then.
I suggest you check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Da … stallation and post the output of the davinci-resolve-checker mentioned there.

Progress at the very last!!! Well at least now theres something wrong i can report about when i run the https://github.com/Ashark/davinci-resol … checker.py (well i copied the python script manually and ran it with python comand) it now shows the following
atestofit
If the image gets deleted this is the code

DaVinci Resolve checker 1.3.2
Your configuration:
Chassis: laptop
Installed OpenCL drivers: /bin/sh: expac: comando não encontrado(its portuguese it say's expac: command not found)
Presented GPUs:
        HD Graphics 630 driver: i915
        GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: nvidia
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
You do not have opencl-nvidia package. Install it, otherwise you could not use D.R. Even if you are planning to use cuda, opencl-nvidia will be installed as its dependency.

#17 2020-11-16 11:17:34

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Pena wrote:

Please post only actual text output, not images of the text [1].

Pena wrote:

/bin/sh: expac: comando não encontrado(its portuguese it say's expac: command not found)

install expac , then run the checker script again.

Also post output of pacman -Qs nvidia .

[1] for more info check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code
and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … a_terminal

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2020-11-16 11:17:55)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#18 2020-11-16 14:54:13

Pena

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Pena wrote:

Please post only actual text output, not images of the text [1].

Pena wrote:

/bin/sh: expac: comando não encontrado(its portuguese it say's expac: command not found)

install expac , then run the checker script again.

Also post output of pacman -Qs nvidia .

[1] for more info check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code
and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … a_terminal

Well... it seems futile.... after installing expac here is whats outputted

DaVinci Resolve checker 1.3.2
Your configuration:
Chassis: laptop
Installed OpenCL drivers: opencl-nvidia
Presented GPUs:
        HD Graphics 630 driver: i915
        GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: nvidia
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
All seems good. You should be able to run DaVinci Resolve successfully.

and the problem still persists every play makes the videos go blank inside
about the other command

local/cuda 11.1.1-1
    NVIDIA's GPU programming toolkit
local/cudnn 8.0.4.30-1
    NVIDIA CUDA Deep Neural Network library
local/egl-wayland 1.1.5+2+g9c9c4c6-1
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 455.38-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libvdpau 1.4-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/nccl 2.7.8-3
    Library for NVIDIA multi-GPU and multi-node collective communication primitives
local/nvidia 455.38-3
    NVIDIA drivers for linux
local/nvidia-lts 1:455.38-2
    NVIDIA drivers for linux-lts
local/nvidia-utils 455.38-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities
local/nvtop 1.0.0-3
    An htop like monitoring tool for NVIDIA GPUs
local/opencl-nvidia 455.38-1
    OpenCL implemention for NVIDIA

cant i just ctrl shift c? to copy the terminal

#19 2020-11-17 20:26:54

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Pena wrote:

For short outputs, yes.
For longer ouputs ctrl-c only copies a small part.

running that checker again has been useful, know we have confirmation DR is setup correctly and you have needed nvidia packages.

It could be that DR free  doesn't support the codecs used in those files.
Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Da … ot_working and the link to the pdf with supported codecs.

I suggest you try to find a multimedia file with supported codecs to check if DR plays that.

P.S. Keep in mind that avi, mp4, webm, mkv etc are container formats and can contain many codecs.

#20 2020-11-18 08:21:35

Pena

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Pena wrote:

For short outputs, yes.
For longer ouputs ctrl-c only copies a small part.

running that checker again has been useful, know we have confirmation DR is setup correctly and you have needed nvidia packages.

It could be that DR free  doesn't support the codecs used in those files.
Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Da … ot_working and the link to the pdf with supported codecs.

I suggest you try to find a multimedia file with supported codecs to check if DR plays that.

P.S. Keep in mind that avi, mp4, webm, mkv etc are container formats and can contain many codecs.

SOLVED
thank you so much
the command to convert the container files into others
"ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v dnxhd -profile:v dnxhr_hq -pix_fmt yuv422p -c:a pcm_s16le -f mov output.mov"

Board footer