You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-14 23:21:45

asportking

Arch randomly rebooting after recent BIOS update

I have an AMD X570 ATX motherboard, whose BIOS I recently updated to the most recent version (version 2407). I'm unsure which version I had previously, but I hadn't updated the motherboard since purchasing it about a year ago. Ever since I made the BIOS update, Arch has randomly been rebooting. These crashes most often happen about a minute after booting, but I've also had them happen later. Checking the output of journalctl shows absolutely nothing in the timeframe where the system shut down, other that -- Reboot --. Has anything like this been documented before with this BIOS version?

#2 2020-07-14 23:26:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Arch randomly rebooting after recent BIOS update

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2020-07-16 20:52:15

Tétrapyle

Re: Arch randomly rebooting after recent BIOS update

Hi.

I suppose you have a Ryzen?
I've experienced, more or less once a day, freezes, mostly freezes, while idle, not in stress, but also spontaneous reboots. It seems that a lot of other people have experienced it as well and it would be because of C-state 6. If I understood correctly, which I'm not sure, this C-state means that the processor would try to save power by going into a super-idle state but would then not receive enough power anymore. So the extremely disconcerting reboots or freezes with absolutly nothing in the logs. Would affect GnuLinux but not Windows (because of unreleased specs?).

Since I've disabled the C-state in the BIOS, no freezes anymore (for 4 days, and it seems a lot...). It's a workaround, but an OK one. According to some, you could also do it by a kernel's parameter but I haven't tried that.
Beware that when you update the BIOS, the C-state management option is most probably reset.

Board footer