You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-18 08:35:55

OrakMoya
Member
Registered: 2019-09-22
Posts: 16

gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

I tried installing spotify with yay, and it needed to import a couple of PGP keys, but it failed with the error message in title.
I tried reinstalling archlinux-keyring but since I have another problem I just posted with pacman installing outdated packages I don't really trust that reinstall.

Tried

pacman-key --refresh-keys

but it fails with error

A specified local key could not be updated from a keyserver.

Also tried switching keyservers, didn't help.

Offline

#2 2020-07-18 08:38:55

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 29,259
Website

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#3 2020-07-18 09:35:46

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 13,177

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

Did you kill dirmngr after changing servers?  The hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net pool seems to currently be down.

Offline

#4 2020-07-18 09:47:04

OrakMoya
Member
Registered: 2019-09-22
Posts: 16

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

loqs wrote:

Did you kill dirmngr after changing servers?  The hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net pool seems to currently be down.

I tried switching keyservers. I put the keyserver in /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/gpg.conf and in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf and now archlinux --refresh-keys says no keyserver is available.

I used hkp://pgp.mit.edu:11371

Offline

#5 2020-07-18 09:53:54

OrakMoya
Member
Registered: 2019-09-22
Posts: 16

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

Update, while pacman-key --refresh-keys doesnt work, importing the spotify key manually with gpg --recv-keys does, even if it does get stuck for a while

Offline

#6 2020-07-18 11:22:13

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 13,177

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

pacman-key and its configuration in /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/gpg.conf are not used by makepkg or its wrappers.

Offline

#7 2020-07-18 18:40:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 29,259
Website

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

OrakMoya wrote:

Update, while pacman-key --refresh-keys doesnt work, importing the spotify key manually with gpg --recv-keys does, even if it does get stuck for a while

Did you bother to read the link I posted in #2 - that is exactly what the wiki stated.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#8 2020-07-23 02:44:40

Douglas75
Member
Registered: 2019-11-27
Posts: 11

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

I had the same error, first, I installed manually the two keys so:  gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 931FF8E79F0876134EDDBDCCA87FF9DF48BF1C90, then I installed Spotify without problem.  I hope i help you.

Offline

#9 2020-07-24 14:24:57

else3dy
Member
Registered: 2020-07-24
Posts: 1

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

Douglas75 wrote:

I had the same error, first, I installed manually the two keys so:  gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 931FF8E79F0876134EDDBDCCA87FF9DF48BF1C90, then I installed Spotify without problem.  I hope i help you.

This worked for me too, thank you!
Weird is I've been using Arch for two years now and never had this issue..

EDIT:
To make this work permanently I appended "keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net" into ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
The file wasn't there to begin with so I copied the one used by pacman in /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/gpg.conf and then added the line.
This will make it work with makepkg or an AUR helper like yay.

Last edited by else3dy (2020-07-24 14:33:23)

Offline

#10 2020-07-26 18:31:51

4Iskander
Member
Registered: 2019-05-28
Posts: 2

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

else3dy wrote:
Douglas75 wrote:

I had the same error, first, I installed manually the two keys so:  gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 931FF8E79F0876134EDDBDCCA87FF9DF48BF1C90, then I installed Spotify without problem.  I hope i help you.

This worked for me too, thank you!
Weird is I've been using Arch for two years now and never had this issue..

EDIT:
To make this work permanently I appended "keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net" into ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
The file wasn't there to begin with so I copied the one used by pacman in /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/gpg.conf and then added the line.
This will make it work with makepkg or an AUR helper like yay.

Tnx. a lot. I had the same problem and this post solved it.

Offline

#11 2020-08-09 16:43:16

cenderme
Member
Registered: 2020-01-08
Posts: 3

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

Douglas75 wrote:

gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 931FF8E79F0876134EDDBDCCA87FF9DF48BF1C90

This worked with a different key as well. Thank you so much!

Offline

#12 2020-08-15 05:29:24

DifficultDerek
Member
Registered: 2020-05-20
Posts: 6

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

On a related note, where does one find a list of 'legit' keyservers? I keep seeing posts with different keyservers, but not from where it was found. I've wandered around the Arch Wiki and elsewhere and i haven't found that answer. Cheers.

EDIT: Sort of found it shortly after posting!

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gn … _keyserver

(in the green box)

Which links to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_serve … r_examples

Last edited by DifficultDerek (2020-08-15 05:31:55)

Offline

#13 2020-08-15 19:29:18

pezmarino
Member
Registered: 2015-07-24
Posts: 13

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

I tried the solution gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys  <key> but it doesn't work.

Offline

#14 2020-08-25 20:15:11

feder1c0
Member
Registered: 2020-08-25
Posts: 2

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

pezmarino wrote:

I tried the solution gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys  <key> but it doesn't work.

Hi, I just tried this recommendation and it worked for me.
I occasionally had problems installing Spotify with yay.
Usage example: (without sudo)

gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 2EBF997C15BDA244B6EBF5D84773BD5E130D1D45

-> Repeat this with the keys you need to import

gpg: key 4773BD5E130D1D45: public key "Spotify Public Repository Signing Key <tux@spotify.com>" imported

gpg: Total number processed: 1

gpg: imported: 1

After this I was able to install the Spotify aur package without problems.

I hope to be helpful.

Regards

Offline

#15 2020-09-26 09:01:19

vogu66
Member
Registered: 2020-05-09
Posts: 5

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

It worked for me too. When it works, it may be convenient to create `~/.gnupg/gpg.conf` with a line :
```
keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net
```
in it (see man gpg). That way you don't have to add the server every time.

Offline

#16 2020-10-04 12:50:03

McDragon
Member
From: Wales
Registered: 2009-05-02
Posts: 18
Website

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

I am still having issues with these keys not getting imported. Tried creating and adding

keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net

into

~/.gnupg/gpg.conf

Didn't work

Manually adding keys didn't work using gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 2EBF997C15BDA244B6EBF5D84773BD5E130D1D45
Some of the keys got imported but then when re-run the update was still being asked to import them and getting the error

gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error
problem importing keys


Martin

Offline

#17 2020-10-04 13:05:17

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 13,177

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

McDragon wrote:

Some of the keys got imported but then when re-run the update was still being asked to import them and getting the error

If you mean a pacman update then that would be a different issue.  Please start a new thread and post the command you used and its full output in code tags.

Offline

#18 2020-10-12 08:45:09

kayn
Member
Registered: 2020-10-12
Posts: 1

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

else3dy wrote:
Douglas75 wrote:

I had the same error, first, I installed manually the two keys so:  gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 931FF8E79F0876134EDDBDCCA87FF9DF48BF1C90, then I installed Spotify without problem.  I hope i help you.

This worked for me too, thank you!
Weird is I've been using Arch for two years now and never had this issue..

EDIT:
To make this work permanently I appended "keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net" into ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
The file wasn't there to begin with so I copied the one used by pacman in /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/gpg.conf and then added the line.
This will make it work with makepkg or an AUR helper like yay.

It also helped me, thx! Here is the error I see in the output of journactl -fn when I tried to install a package by yay.

Oct 12 10:27:45 pc dirmngr[6655]: TLS connection authentication failed: General error
Oct 12 10:27:45 pc dirmngr[6655]: error connecting to 'https://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net:443': General error
Oct 12 10:27:45 pc dirmngr[6655]: command 'KS_GET' failed: General error <Unspecified source>

Obviously https://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net/ doesn't have a valid SSL certificate.

Offline

#19 2020-10-12 13:48:46

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 13,177

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

kayn wrote:

It also helped me, thx! Here is the error I see in the output of journactl -fn when I tried to install a package by yay.

Oct 12 10:27:45 pc dirmngr[6655]: TLS connection authentication failed: General error
Oct 12 10:27:45 pc dirmngr[6655]: error connecting to 'https://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net:443': General error
Oct 12 10:27:45 pc dirmngr[6655]: command 'KS_GET' failed: General error <Unspecified source>

Obviously https://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net/ doesn't have a valid SSL certificate.

https://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net:443 is the incorrect protocol it is hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net but that still uses the overloaded pool.

Offline

#20 2020-10-12 13:54:02

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 10,239
Website

Re: gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error

Mod note: closing this old topic as it is predominantly 'me too' posts at this point.


Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI X299 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC // Processor: Intel Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB