You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-22 21:04:05

JustSomeGeek

Multi GPU & monitor setup (NV + Intel IGPU, *NOT* Laptop)

Hi folks,

Apologies for asking what's probably already been asked, but i'm not quite sure what to look for.

I want to set up my main display and TV on the NV GTX1080, and my 2nd monitor on the integrated Intel GPU.

Main display is for my gaming and general stuff. TV for some gaming and watching movies. 2nd display usually for VM's, terminal, server ssh, and monitoring gizmos. like Conky etc.

Priority is launching Steam games using the 1080 on the main display. :-)

I'm using KDE.

Any pointers on where to look, and how to approach this?

Thank you.

#2 2020-07-23 14:22:32

Lone_Wolf

Re: Multi GPU & monitor setup (NV + Intel IGPU, *NOT* Laptop)

Hybrid Graphics is  a technology that doesn't care about the formfactor it is used in.

Intel IGPU plus discrete nvidia card is a hybrid graphics system, and relevant page is https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-07-23 19:49:28

JustSomeGeek

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Hybrid Graphics is  a technology that doesn't care about the formfactor it is used in.

Intel IGPU plus discrete nvidia card is a hybrid graphics system, and relevant page is https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus .

I'd already looked at that. My laptop is Optimus. This is using 2 GPU's at once, not much of it seems to be very helpful.

I'm guessing I need to edit xorgf.conf, but not sure what needs to be changed, or added.

#4 2020-07-24 11:55:03

Lone_Wolf

The choices for a hybrid graphics system are limited (by the design) and mutually exclusive.

The first section ' Available methods' lists 7 choices .
Choose the one that matches best with your expected usage and inform us of the choice so we can help you to implement it.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2020-07-24 14:27:16

JustSomeGeek

Lone_Wolf wrote:

The choices for a hybrid graphics system are limited (by the design) and mutually exclusive.

The first section ' Available methods' lists 7 choices .
Choose the one that matches best with your expected usage and inform us of the choice so we can help you to implement it.

It's not a hybrid system, and the Optimus guide doesn't apply. It's a desktop, with essentially 2 separate GPU's, one is just built-in. No prime-run, or offloading etc.

I think I might need to run 2 x-servers, and edit the xorg.conf manually but I have no idea where to look for further info for what I want to achieve.

Both monitors were activated before NVidia generated an xorg.conf file, so I'm guessing that X auto-detected everything before installing drivers, but it wasn't set up correctly.

Board footer