You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-07 01:15:34

skottish
Forum Fellow

Err... I severely broke Pacman [SOLVED]

I broke Pacman in a big way. I simply need to know how to restore the Pacman database to a usable state. Right now, I can get it to sync, it gives me a huge list of software to install if I want to install any program, and when it tries to "install" it, it complains that all of the libraries already exist. I'm writing this on the box in question, so it's right, all of the software does exist.  How do I get the system to a upgradable state?

FYI

I tried mv /var/lib/pacman/extra to extra.old... current to current.old... etc.

-------->>> Edit

What I'm asking is is how do I FORCE the rebuild of the entire Pacman database?

#2 2006-10-07 11:10:16

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Err... I severely broke Pacman [SOLVED]

move the .old's back?

there is no backup of the database, thus no simple way to rebuild it -- there's nothing to rebuild from. Only otherway to rebuild it is to reinstall everything again. If you havnt emptied your cache, you may just be able to reinstall everything in your pacman cache.

James

#3 2006-10-07 12:29:49

lucke

Khkh, that's my favourite play - accidentally removing /var/lib/pacman/local/.

You'd have to reinstall all packages using -Sf/-Uf. This script could help you to determine which packages you should install.

#4 2006-10-07 12:32:31

FUBAR
Website

Ms Pacman will kill you!!

Forcing pacman to install packages probably helps (--force).

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#5 2006-10-07 14:04:51

skottish
Forum Fellow

Thanks for the replies. If my system functions after this, I will be amazed. I used the --force option (thanks Fubar)  for now, but the Pacman database is broken.

iphitus, when the "olds" were there, Pacman was broken. When I moved them to get fresh data, Pacman was broken. I really messed up Pacman this time... again.

Khkh, that's my favourite play - accidentally removing /var/lib/pacman/local/.

Yeah! Me too (now). The funny thing was, it wasn't an accident. I put it back though...

If I run pacman -Q <anything I didn't install with --force>, it returns that the package wasn't found. The database only recognizes stuff in the cache.

And lucke, I didn't find the script.

EDIT---------->>>>>

I fixed it. It's faster for me to rebuild the systme than it is to wait for a solution.

Board footer