You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-07 08:36:19

jason_f

vfat partition fsck on every boot [solved]

I have 2 vfat partitions on my drive, both with fstab passno=2.  My root partition is xfs and fstab passno=1.

On every boot I'm getting an fsck on both vfat partitions...Shouldn't this only happen if they were not cleanly unmounted?  I don't want to disable checking completely by zeroing out the passno field, but would like it to only check every x mounts, or when it detects a problem....every boot seems a little excessive.

Anyone else having this problem?

#2 2006-10-07 10:27:03

toxic

Re: vfat partition fsck on every boot [solved]

Have you tried taking a look at the statistics printed out from SMART? If fsck detects that the HD have entered an inconsistent state it will scan the harddrive.

You can set fsck fields to zero and then manually run fsk once a month or so.
Another probable cause it that you mounted your filesystem with the async flag, copied a file, then rebooted without unmounting the device first.

#3 2006-10-10 19:01:43

jason_f

toxic wrote:

Have you tried taking a look at the statistics printed out from SMART? If fsck detects that the HD have entered an inconsistent state it will scan the harddrive.

You can set fsck fields to zero and then manually run fsk once a month or so.
Another probable cause it that you mounted your filesystem with the async flag, copied a file, then rebooted without unmounting the device first.

It's a sata drive, which smartmontools doesn't seem to like without patching...

I don't have async anywhere in fstab, unless it's the default..Something did happen to both my vfat partitions, i'm not sure what, but after accessing the partitions, dmesg spit out something about the drive being remounted readonly for protection of the filesystem. I ran fsck and it found errors, and fixed. After booting into windoze, it ran scandisk as well, but now seems fine. fsck is ok now....

Is there anything I can do to mark the partition as ok now? Or should I just reformat?

#4 2006-10-10 19:54:45

brain0
Developer

There is no way to determine whether a vfat partition has been unmounted cleanly or not. That is why dosfsck always checks it. vfat has no concept of being (un)clean.

#5 2006-10-10 21:48:03

shadowhand
Website

Solution: Don't mount your vfat partition at boot time (use noauto in fstab), and mount it with rc.local:

#/etc/rc.local
mount /dev/hda1

Replace hda1 with the proper device.
I'd also recommend adding this to /etc/rc.local.shutdown (this file doesn't exist by default, you will need to create it. chmod 0755 as well):

#/etc/rc.local.shutdown
umount /dev/hda1

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#6 2006-10-11 21:42:24

jason_f

Thanks guys!

#7 2006-10-12 06:26:40

brain0
Developer

That isn't necessary. You can disable the filesystem check in fstab instead. It is much more comfortable than mounting manually.

Board footer