#1 2006-10-07 10:25:00

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Adding a "Languages" section?

Copied from:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=25716

Snowman wrote:

I would like to mention that the moderators of this forum are currently discussing about adding a "Languages" section where the popular languages will have their own forum (much like what it is done by Gentoo).  This will be done to favorise a better interaction between the different Arch Linux communities.

Yes, there is a discussion to have few language forums. To avoid conflict with the existing foreign websites, its suggested to have a link same as Gentoo Forum does. In Gentoo the link is in the forum header. In this way, there is an encouragement / support for the existing website and also convenient for the user (either post in this website or in the other).

Example:

Forum italiano (Italian)
  Questa è la sezione italiana del forum gentoo destinata a fornire supporto all'omonima distribuzione. www.gentoo.it www.gentoo-italia.net

What will be languages, having a long front page to the from is not prefareable? Who will moderate the forums?

Markku

#2 2006-10-07 16:32:01

tlaloc

Re: Adding a "Languages" section?

I think that a number of languages with many speakers rapidly come into mind - Spanish, French, German, Chinese ... In many cases, these smaller language-groups already exist and ARE moderated. There was a link to these "foreign" forums from the archlinux.org in the past - I was quite sad when I saw that this vanished.

In fact, I have questioned the usefullness of of non-english docs in the past - arguing that so much of original docs were in English (installer, man-pages, etc.). And yet, other people convinced me that wikis etc. in your native language are useful for some people. So I keep on translating in my spare time  big_smile

#3 2006-10-07 17:38:10

Pierre
Developer
Website

Re: Adding a "Languages" section?

There is still a list of non-english forums: http://archlinux.org/moreforums/
But I think this page cannot be found easily.

Linking international sites would be a good idea. But I do not think that communities should be splitted by creating redudant forums. Those languages which still have their own forums should just be linked and no additional forum should be created.

Board footer