You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-03 08:03:14

semcore

Freezing, screen flicker; i915 GPU HANG: ecode in Xorg; Resetting chip

Hello there, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I'm posting this for a family member who started getting these problems a few months ago.

The system is up to date with pacman.

When doing things such as browsing with Firefox or Brave, the computer will start locking up, freezing, or screen flickering. It appears to be a problem with i915 or Xorg, or the GPU. And most of the time, the gui is unresponsive after this.

I've looked into this a good amount, but still not quite sure what I need to change.

I have changed the boot options and appended to /etc/default/grub. So far, I've tried appending these different lines: i915.enable_fbc=1, i915.enable_fbc=0, intel_iommu=on, intel_iommu=off.

None of them are working. I did also verify that they are being activated at boot checking /proc/cmdline

Here's the journalctl output: https://pastebin.com/Xq2Jkr3V

There was also a GPU crash dump saved: /sys/class/drm/card0/error

Thank you

#2 2020-08-03 08:18:12

ondoho
Website

Re: Freezing, screen flicker; i915 GPU HANG: ecode in Xorg; Resetting chip

semcore wrote:

When doing things such as browsing with Firefox or Brave, the computer will start locking up, freezing, or screen flickering. It appears to be a problem with i915 or Xorg, or the GPU.

You can easily confirmthis theory by dis/enabling hardware accelaration for these apps.

semcore wrote:

Here's the journalctl output: https://pastebin.com/Xq2Jkr3V

No way is that a complete journal output.

semcore wrote:

There was also a GPU crash dump saved: /sys/class/drm/card0/error

Sounds like it could be interesting to see that, or get more info about that.

semcore wrote:

I'm posting this for a family member who started getting these problems a few months ago.

Either this is completely irrelevant, or I doubt the sanity of installing ArchLinux for someone else who isn't capable of solving their own problems with it.

#3 2020-08-03 08:49:04

semcore

Ok thanks I will look into enabling/disabling HW acceleration, it seems to be doing it across several or all apps so far (browsers, music apps)... And I thought one of the kernel boot options I was appending was enabling/disabling graphics capabilities.

Correct on the journal output, sorry... I only grabbed the time frame from when the freezing/crashing was occurring. I will get a longer log output when I can access the system.

I will get the GPU crash dump as well, thanks!

#4 2020-08-03 13:22:43

loqs

Board footer