You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-05 18:40:40

PeanutCubed

Arch Live USB doesn't boot/isn't seen on new laptop

Hello!

I'm currently running Fedora on a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop and am trying to install Arch with no luck.
I have tried multiple methods of creating a live USB, including GNOME Disk Utility, using cp in cli and also using Rufus on a Windows machine.
When I plug the USB into the laptop and turn it on, it takes me to the normal boot screen, allowing me to choose from fedora, fedora recovery and system setup - but no Arch live usb.

I am certain the USB stick itself is fine as I have tried it on many machines, I have also disabled safe boot in BIOS.

Any ideas on how to get the live USB to work?

EDIT: Have treid DD mode on Rufus as well.

Last edited by PeanutCubed (2020-08-05 19:02:55)

#2 2020-08-05 18:44:14

DeusKult

Re: Arch Live USB doesn't boot/isn't seen on new laptop

Have you checked if the partition table of the install media is set correct? MBR for legacy/csm boot and GPT for efi boot

Last edited by DeusKult (2020-08-05 18:45:09)

#3 2020-08-05 18:50:59

PeanutCubed

DeusKult wrote:

Have you checked if the partition table of the install media is set correct? MBR for legacy/csm boot and GPT for efi boot

Was using MBR (I guess this might be incorrect), trying to create the live USB again with Rufus with the GPT setting. I'll let you know how it goes.

#4 2020-08-05 18:54:46

PeanutCubed

DeusKult wrote:

Tried again with GPT and it still isn't working.

#5 2020-08-06 06:15:09

DeusKult

you mention using cp and rufus. Have you tried creating the install-media with dd to remove any chances of errors due to rufus etc.?

If that also doesn't work pretty much sounds like an error/misconfig in your bios/efi.

Does the device recognize other install medias like for example a windows install usb drive?

#6 2020-08-07 19:01:30

porcelain1

Have you tried other USB ports on your laptop? Does the digests of the .iso check with the ones at https://www.archlinux.org/download/? Which .iso are you using? is it the latest? did you get it with torrent or ddl? from a third-party maybe?

PeanutCubed wrote:

I am certain the USB stick itself is fine as I have tried it on many machines, I have also disabled safe boot in BIOS.

Just to be sure, could you try another USB stick? Maybe you could burn a liveCD from another distro just to be sure. By other machines, do you mean this USB stick with Arch Linux boots in others, or that it worked in the past with other distros burned in other machines? Did you get Fedora with this same USB stick?

Just some wild guesses.

Behemoth, wake up!

Board footer