You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-06 01:44:05

TheFurryWeeb

Sonic CD doesn't run with Proton for Steam installed

I've recently managed to go through the torture of installing vanilla Arch Linux the intended way, without using scripts as a helping hand. I've managed to install my two absolute favourite desktop environments, Cinnamon and KDE on top of it as a graphical user interface, Firefox for safe and private web browsing, Windscribe as a VPN service, Steam and most of my games, but one game is particularly problematic for me to run on Arch Linux (as a "Debianhead" who came from Kubuntu), and that is Sonic CD.

According to ProtonDB, the game runs on Linux if I install winetricks and protontricks, then execute these four commands:

• protontricks 200940 directx9

• protontricks 200940 d3dcompiler_43

• protontricks 200940 d3dx9_43

• protontricks 200940 dinput8

The story is that under Kubuntu, this trick worked excellently and it made my game work. But with Arch, the last command throws an error message, saying "0068:fixme:plugplay:pdo_pnp_dispatch Unhandled function 00000017
0068:fixme:plugplay:pdo_pnp_dispatch Unhandled function 00000002". I really would like to play this game because I love Sonic CD to death, but with this situation, I always have to boot back into Windows 10 to play this game (which is bad because I only would like to keep the Windows installation for dev tools and Microsoft Office; my aim is to lessen my dependence on Google and Microsoft services).

How can I fix this?

A computer and Linux nerd, an avid 2D platformer and RPG gamer and a furry combined into one person.

I hope I can help you out with your Arch issues and get myself helped out, as well.

#2 2020-08-10 22:54:28

SianideSpliff

Re: Sonic CD doesn't run with Proton for Steam installed

I can't necessarily help, but I can tell you that those steps have worked just fine for me for two Arch installs and a Manjaro in the past couple weeks.

If it was me I'd reformat, but I'm sure someone here might actually be able to help. In the meantime have you considered playing it on RetroArch?

Edit: have you tried this Arch-specific part? I remember having to do this the first time (since then I've just been using the same installation folders on an external hdd and haven't had to run this again)

I tried to run the game using only Proton. The game was on a black screen and then closed on its own. As I use Manjaro OS, I followed the steps on this site https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine, installed Wine plus the dependencies described in the article, and then ran the prefix in the terminal:

WINEPREFIX = "$ HOME / .local / share / Steam / steamapps / compatdata / 200940 / pfx" wine "$ HOME / .local / share / Steam / steamapps / common / Sonic CD / directx / DXSETUP.exe"

And then a DirectX installation window appeared, I installed it, and then the game ran perfectly.

My generic USB controller worked perfectly in the game too.

Final edit (hopefully):
obviously you'll have to replace "$ HOME/.local/share/Steam[...]"| with the location of your actual library folder, wherever that is. The number is accurate though.

Last edited by SianideSpliff (2020-08-10 22:59:28)

#3 2020-08-11 09:30:49

TheFurryWeeb

Re: Sonic CD doesn't run with Proton for Steam installed

SianideSpliff wrote:

I can't necessarily help, but I can tell you that those steps have worked just fine for me for two Arch installs and a Manjaro in the past couple weeks.

If it was me I'd reformat, but I'm sure someone here might actually be able to help. In the meantime have you considered playing it on RetroArch?

Edit: have you tried this Arch-specific part? I remember having to do this the first time (since then I've just been using the same installation folders on an external hdd and haven't had to run this again)

I tried to run the game using only Proton. The game was on a black screen and then closed on its own. As I use Manjaro OS, I followed the steps on this site https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine, installed Wine plus the dependencies described in the article, and then ran the prefix in the terminal:

WINEPREFIX = "$ HOME / .local / share / Steam / steamapps / compatdata / 200940 / pfx" wine "$ HOME / .local / share / Steam / steamapps / common / Sonic CD / directx / DXSETUP.exe"

And then a DirectX installation window appeared, I installed it, and then the game ran perfectly.

My generic USB controller worked perfectly in the game too.

Final edit (hopefully):
obviously you'll have to replace "$ HOME/.local/share/Steam[...]"| with the location of your actual library folder, wherever that is. The number is accurate though.

No, it didn't work for me. Firstly, I've created the WINEPREFIX, but it also threw me an error message, e.g. like this:

0118:err:module:open_builtin_file failed to load .so lib "/usr/lib32/wine/winegstreamer.dll.so"

After that, protontricks threw me the same error message as before, but with more details:

Executing /home/thefurryweeb/.cache/protontricks/proton/Proton 5.0/bin/wine64 regedit C:\windows\Temp\override-dll.reg 0070:fixme:plugplay:pdo_pnp_dispatch Unhandled function 00000017 0070:fixme:plugplay:pdo_pnp_dispatch Unhandled function 00000002 wineserver: using server-side synchronization. 0034:err:module:__wine_process_init L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe" not found 002c:err:wineboot:process_run_key Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (126). 006c:err:ntoskrnl:ZwLoadDriver failed to create driver L"\\Registry\\Machine\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\wineusb": c0000142 003c:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"wineusb" failed to start: 1114 0070:fixme:plugplay:pdo_pnp_dispatch Unhandled function 00000017 0070:fixme:plugplay:pdo_pnp_dispatch Unhandled function 00000002

Now I have absolutely no clue why this does happen, but maybe this more detailed error log can help you understand what the source of the problem is.

Last edited by TheFurryWeeb (2020-08-11 09:32:09)

A computer and Linux nerd, an avid 2D platformer and RPG gamer and a furry combined into one person.

I hope I can help you out with your Arch issues and get myself helped out, as well.

Board footer