You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-07 19:56:48

o2bfishn

ftp install with arch-0.7.2-base.iso

not sure if this is a bug or what, i have seen some other posts about doing an ftp install and didnt really see in them exactly what i ran across, so here goes.

i keep arch updated to current and extra all the time and i have always used the base iso to do installs and i usually use the files on the cd, get the system up and then Syu everything and make all necessary changes

last night i did a reinstall with this cd and did an ftp install so that i would have all updated files and stuff (knowing that mkinitrd has been replaced with mkinitcpio)

checking the menu.lst file for grub before i rebooted i noticed that it still showed linux26.img instead of kernel26.img for cpio. now having known the changes i was able to correct that, but for someone who just now downloads that iso and does an ftp install and reboots without knowing that, the system wont boot at all

shouldnt the grub menu.lst file have the correct lines put in if the mkinitcpio is installed from current as a fresh install? for that matter, when the someone does an upgrade shouldnt the menu.lst file be upgraded as well?

#2 2006-10-07 21:04:50

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: ftp install with arch-0.7.2-base.iso

The installer gets grub's menu.lst from the cd. It is a known issue. Using the more recent iso's from tpowa (see sticky in installation part of the forum) this is corrected.

Besides that, I think you have a good point. It would not be very hard to change the installer (at least when the kernel writes a standard grub entry to a file which can be adopted and changed by the installer). On the other hand, I think we will stick with mkinitcpio for the next bit of time, so I don't know if it is worth the effort

#3 2006-10-10 16:43:01

o2bfishn

Re: ftp install with arch-0.7.2-base.iso

well i understand we are sticking with mkinitcpio, but if the installer can be updated to write a correct menu.lst file, thats what i was looking for, but like you said if the daily iso's have this fixed then i wont worry about it anymore. looking forward to doing a build with the .8 installer voodoo

Board footer