Well I did the -Suy last night and now have a couple of issues I am hoping someone can help me with.
I have a regular 32 bit ftp install that I did on a HP laptop that has a AMD Athlon 64. I did the original install two Saturdays ago and had a couple of things that needed to be worked out. I got them worked out and everything was rosy. I had been using the ndiswrapper setup on the broadcom wireless in my laptop and it worked well. When I did the upgrade I blew that away and tried to use the bcm43xx natively. I am using kde with dbus and hal. The module was found and loaded and showed in lsmod and iwconfig as eth0. Would not connect. I went to the wiki and followed what was there using fwcutter. Did not work. So I searched the forums and did not find a solution. I did see one post saying to blacklist bcm43xx and use ndiswrapper. I did not have any problems with ndiswrapper so I thought why not. I undid everything I had done, blacklisted bcm43xx and did the ndiswrapper routine just the way I done it before. Still did not work. I believe I have checked everything but was at it for about three hours so could have overlooked something. I have screwed up a time or two and will probably do it again someday.
I don't want to take up a bunch of space so if any conf or section of a conf is needed, just let me know and I will put what is needed in a new post.
The other issue is that after the update the hard drive runs almost constantly. When I do a read or write from the hd the light flickers and then goes off as normal. After 30 to 60 second it comes back on and stays until another RW operation. Wears the battery down fast and if plug in to AC it takes a very long time to charge.
Those are the only issues I have had, but those are enough. I have a long cat5 that I have run to my router but I have a problem there in that my dog chewed it and it may be kind of lossy now. Really would like to get wifi working.
I know it doesn't make sense but I solved the wireless issues. I just went back and undid and removed everythin I had done. I blacklisted bcm43xx and installed ndiswrapper just the way I had it. The wireless is now working. Don't know why. This is the second time I have had an issue with wireless where I just did things over and stuff worked.
I have not solved the problem with the hard drive. It still runs almost constantly. It will shut off for 30 or 40 seconds and then start again and run for 5 or six minutes. Then the cycle will start over and repeat. There are occasions where it just flashes on for 10 or so seconds and then off for 10 or so seconds. This really eats up my battery, need to find a solution. I need some new ideas I am tapped out.