You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-19 16:48:41

UpsiloNIX

Internal Keyboard and touchpad not working in X after update

Hi,

Yesterday I did a full system update (pacman -Syu + yay -Syua) like every month (more or less, there was x things and kernel update from 5.7 to 5.8), but after the reboot I have a stange behaviour :

Once X is started (in GDM or directly in GnomeShell or Awesome) the touchpad and the keyboard of the laptop are not responding anymore (almost*); if I plug an USB mouse and keyboard they work.

Almost* : The FN function are still working (luminosity, sound, keyboard backlight level).

If I switch to a second tty it works back (without X started of course).

With the external keyboard I started X and ran "showkey" command, and the keys typed on the laptop keyboard worked...

As I mostly manage servers, I don't really know how to debug X things, any idea ?

Note : And of course my FS was full and I cleaned pacman cache just after the upgrade, so rollback is a bit more complicated.

Regards,

#2 2020-08-20 04:39:44

Jungyyy

Re: Internal Keyboard and touchpad not working in X after update

I would like to add to this post as I am having the same trouble since an update on Saturday. tailing /dev/input/eventX for the internal keyboard shows it recognizes input, even while X is running, but it ignores it.
I am also using GDM. When startx is run, The touchpad is used correctly, but no keyboard. With GDM, neither work. Keyboard is fine if X is not started.

#3 2020-08-21 08:08:13

IslandC0der

That seems just like the issue I'm having
Can you confirm that your Xorg logs from 5.7 to 5.8 also show those differences (assuming you're also using an asus laptop)?

#4 2020-08-21 23:12:01

Jungyyy

I didn't have the logs, but I compiled 5.7.17, and can confirm that keyboard and touchpad work fine! For me at least, it seems to have been the same issue, thanks!

#5 2020-08-23 00:39:32

millocorona

Same issue here, i retrieved the 5.7 version of the kernel from the pacman cache and downgrade it, now its working fine, for anyone who wants a "quick" and "dirty" solution, you can use the following command to downgrade the kernel to 5.7 assuming you have the package in the cache

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-5.7.12.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

keep in mind that this is not a proper fix, and the issue can re apear if you perform a complete system update, the problem will not be completely resolved until someone fix the kernel

Every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there --on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

--Carl Sagan

#6 2020-08-23 09:55:06

IslandC0der

I just ended up switching to the LTS kernel. It's not ideal, because I'd much rather stay on the latest version (also I now need dkms and the kernel headers for the virtualbox modules, which is a bit annoying), but I really have no choice.

#7 2020-08-24 17:27:58

UpsiloNIX

IslandC0der wrote:

That seems just like the issue I'm having
Can you confirm that your Xorg logs from 5.7 to 5.8 also show those differences (assuming you're also using an asus laptop)?

Can confirm it works with 5.7, and I have a Asus laptop too (UX430), so exactly the same problem .

Regards,

#8 2020-08-26 21:41:45

IslandC0der

Hey, just wanted to let you know we found a workaround!
Make sure to let us know if it also works for you or not.

Board footer