You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-26 14:10:40

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Possible to renice all running PIDs from a call to makechrootpkg

With devtools, I am building via makechrootpkg and am wondering if it's possible to change the nice level (or the systemd equivalent) of all running and to-be-running PIDs under that build root in a single command?  I am not very knowledgeable with systemd-nspawn but I'm thinking since it is using CGROUPs, there may be something.  Googling for this isn't giving me much in terms of lowering the priority of that running set of PIDs... i did find some references to systemd-cgtop but that isn't really helpful.  Thanks for advice or links.

EDIT: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-nspawn  shows some commands but when makechrootpkg runs, I do not see any output of a machine at all.

% machinectl
No machines.

I am sure I am not understanding how the script is calling the underlying stuff.

Last edited by graysky (2020-08-26 15:05:58)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2020-08-26 17:43:55

xerxes_

Re: Possible to renice all running PIDs from a call to makechrootpkg

Running main command / process with 'nice / renice' will not work, for example: main process / script in systemd-nspawn or systemd-nspawn entirely? Processes started from parent process will share nice priority.

#3 2020-08-26 20:04:17

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Possible to renice all running PIDs from a call to makechrootpkg

I will try calling `nice -19 makechrootpkg` to see if that works but I am wondering about doing it on one that is already running as well.

EDIT: Based on the following, the systemd-nspawn is more complex than running it initially with a nice value it seems: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … s-on-linux

Last edited by graysky (2020-08-26 20:05:33)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer