You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-12 12:24:10

kodachi

How to get PPPoE connection in Arch !?

I have two computers. One is Mac, and the other is my Arch.

Using the account password provided by the ISP and the corresponding server name, my MacBook is connected to PPPoE.

https://imgur.com/a/eUyteNe

but when it comes to my Arch Linux...

I googled, but I still cannot find any helpful info. sad
There is no such corresponding knowledge point in the Wiki also.

Yes, I do have tried use the command "pppoe-setup", but failed. It says "connection time out". There should be a communication problem with the PPPoE server.
Maybe it's a authentication problem i guess? I'm sure the account and password are correct though.

Any help will be welcome.

#2 2020-09-12 13:41:01

kodachi

Re: How to get PPPoE connection in Arch !?

The Windows running on this machine can also connect to PPPoE normally, which shows that it is not a hardware problem. hmm All NIC no problem.

#3 2020-09-12 13:50:53

kodachi

Please give specific "how to do" suggestions instead of general theoretical knowledge.
I just want to connect to PPPoE on my Arch. That's all.

#4 2020-09-12 14:00:22

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Please stop bumping your topic. If you need to add information, edit your existing post, and be patient. Your first post was less than two hours ago.

I don't know anything about pppoe, but there is a wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ppp

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#5 2020-09-12 14:15:03

kodachi

2ManyDogs wrote:

Please stop bumping your topic. If you need to add information, edit your existing post, and be patient. Your first post was less than two hours ago.

I don't know anything about pppoe, but there is a wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ppp

Do you see the link to the picture I posted wink
I cannot find the server name, the first line you see it?

This is not a technical issue, it is just experience. Like you, I don't understand the PPPoE connection method of Arch, so why don't they make a graphical interface :rolleyes

#6 2020-09-12 15:11:43

loqs

What about the live media of other distributions to see if the issue is limited to Arch?

#7 2020-09-12 15:15:04

kodachi

Let me make the question more specific.

In the picture I posted, which line of the pppconfig configuration file corresponds to the "PPPoE_Service_Name" in the first line? btw, on Windows, is called "Server_Name or Address" as shown below.

https://imgur.com/a/uTUyAkP

On Windos, it is called Server_Name, which is not the same as on Mac, so I am confused. And as for my Arch...

#8 2020-09-12 15:23:48

kodachi

Any helpful info will be welcome

#9 2020-09-12 16:28:50

Archiso

I have the same issue.

Last edited by Archiso (2020-09-12 16:31:24)

#10 2020-09-12 16:38:43

kodachi

Here is my PPPoE configuration
https://imgur.com/a/Vt6f6Q6

`sudo pon dsl-provider`
https://imgur.com/YNCx8Rn

`journalctl -b --no-pager | grep pppd`
https://imgur.com/4AZD6X1

Whats the meaning "remote system need to authenticate itself"
Manybe my configuration is wrong; Can someone point out where I am wrong. Any helpful info will be welcome. neutral

#11 2020-09-12 16:59:55

loqs

kodachi wrote:

`sudo pon dsl-provider`

Code_of_conduct#Pasting_pictures_and_code

wiki wrote:

Do not post screenshots of text output; post the actual text.

See the tip box from pastebin to post straight from the console to a pastebin.

#12 2020-09-12 17:14:47

kodachi

loqs wrote:
kodachi wrote:

`sudo pon dsl-provider`

Code_of_conduct#Pasting_pictures_and_code

wiki wrote:

Do not post screenshots of text output; post the actual text.

See the tip box from pastebin to post straight from the console to a pastebin.

My fault. Not next time. roll
------------------

Any helpful info on this topic are welcome

#13 2020-09-12 20:32:02

Wild Penguin

Hi kodachi,

I have no experience with PPPoE on Arch (I haven't used direct-to-modem connections since I've been lucky enough to live in apartments which have direct network cabling connected to a fiberoptic modem owned by the ISP behind some securely locked door somewhere for the past two decades). But it should be quite self-explanatory from the Wiki page linked by 2ManyDogs, AFAICT.

From the screenshot you have provided, I'll list what you need to fill in in order (MacOS Option # Arch Linux equivalent on the Wiki page). I don't care what they are called in Windows; any OS maker can choose what they call them.

1. "PPPoE Service Name" # the file name at /etc/ppp/peers/"you_provider"  (this is arbitrary and can be anything. You can put as the file name "cat", "dog", "your pet's name", "your_provider" or just "internet". It's your choice!.

2. Account Name: # "someloginname" (i.e. fill this after the name in the example configuration file, and also in chap-secrets and, if you want, in pap-secrets. Also, read the page linked carefully and the link explaining the difference between chap and pap)

3. Password: # "yourpassword" (i.e. fill this into chap-secrets and pap-secrets as you did for someloginname).

Then follow rest of the Wiki page.

Alternatively, (I've just checked) - this can also be done trough a GUI. However, in Arch there is no one standard desktop environment, and you didn't state which one you have chosen as your DE. Moreover, there are many different network managers to choose from, and these have different front-ends to choose from. None of those are installed automatically (because Arch is a versatile distro which can be used to may different use cases). Some more just desktop-oriented distributions will have made some choices for you, and have these utilities installed per default.

Hope this helps to get you on the right track.

Last edited by Wild Penguin (2020-09-12 20:35:11)

#14 2020-09-13 03:19:07

kodachi

Wild Penguin wrote:
  1. "PPPoE Service Name" # the file name at /etc/ppp/peers/"you_provider"  (this is arbitrary and can be anything. You can put as the file name "cat", "dog", "your pet's name", "your_provider" or just "internet". It's your choice!.

Thanks for your reply.

As you said, "/etc/ppp/peers/you_provider" in which you_provider can be anything I like, am I right?
But on my Mac, as you can see, the Service_Name in the first line is provided by my ISP (along with account password). If you change the value of this option, you will not be connected to the PPPoE network. If the file name of this file is equivalent to Service_Name, I don't think it can be filled in casually. Besides, I am not sure whether the two are equivalent.

#15 2020-09-13 12:51:20

Wild Penguin

Well, did you actually try it? If you did, and it didn't work out, post the configuration files, exact steps you've taken, and any error messages you got here.

Alternatively, you could provide more information, such as: what DE are you using? Which Network manager are you using? Did you try to do it via any of the GUIs matching your NM (mentioned in the links I've posted)?

Let me rephrase a bit, as there still seems to be some confusion around: "PPPoE Service Name" (which you have blacked over in the Mac OS) is arbitrary, and only your OS knows about it (this is true on every OS AFAICT). It is not passed on to your modem. You might try this on the OS X side; try to retype (on the part you have blacked over) something like "My really kick-a** cool f*** internet connection". It should still work, this is just what is shown in the Mac OS user interface (to differentiate it from other connections you may use with the same computer). This makes sense; your ISP might make any kind of choices. The user (=you) can choose to call the connections he/she sets up whatever he/she wants. (Your ISP will of course give out instructions, which can be followed by every dummy user out there, even those who can not think!)

FWIW I have used PPPoE in the beginning of the 2000s, but back then I used RedHat and Debian. Indeed, only two options were passed on to my ISP - username and password (on the Mac OS: Account Name and Password fields, respectively). IIRC!  (even back then, I didn't actually have access to the modem, but they still used this kind of credentials instead of having a router running DHCP in between).

Depending on the OS, OS version, used software these can be called whatever the OS/software designers decided.

Last edited by Wild Penguin (2020-09-13 13:05:54)

#16 2020-09-13 15:00:10

kodachi

Wild Penguin wrote:

Well, did you actually try it? If you did, and it didn't work out, post the configuration files, exact steps you've taken, and any error messages you got here.

Yes, of course! On Arch, PPPoE configuration file is /etc/ppp/peers/<this_should_be_the_alias_of_your_PPPoE_connection>

in my case, it's /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider; refer to the Wiki, this is my configuration

plugin rp-pppoe.so
# I'm not sure which one is correct, since Wiki just hashtaged these two lines
rp_pppoe_ac "<server_name>"
# rp_pppoe_service "<service_name>"

# network interface
eth0
# login name
name "<login_name>"
password "<login_password>"
usepeerdns
persist
# Uncomment this if you want to enable dial on demand
#demand
#idle 180
defaultroute
hide-password 
Wild Penguin wrote:

Let me rephrase a bit, as there still seems to be some confusion around: "PPPoE Service Name" (which you have blacked over in the Mac OS) is arbitrary, and only your OS knows about it (this is true on every OS AFAICT). It is not passed on to your modem. You might try this on the OS X side; try to retype (on the part you have blacked over) something like "My really kick-a** cool f*** internet connection". It should still work, this is just what is shown in the Mac OS user interface (to differentiate it from other connections you may use with the same computer). This makes sense; your ISP might make any kind of choices. The user (=you) can choose to call the connections he/she sets up whatever he/she wants. (Your ISP will of course give out instructions, which can be followed by every dummy user out there, even those who can not think!)

You really sure? The service name here is not arbitrary. In some cases, you only need to fill in the user name and password, and then you can connect to the PPPoE network. But what if there are multiple PPPoE servers? If you don't fill in the corresponding server (IP address or the server name), how does the computer know which server to communicate with?

Wild Penguin wrote:

FWIW I have used PPPoE in the beginning of the 2000s, but back then I used RedHat and Debian. Indeed, only two options were passed on to my ISP - username and password (on the Mac OS: Account Name and Password fields, respectively). IIRC!  (even back then, I didn't actually have access to the modem, but they still used this kind of credentials instead of having a router running DHCP in between).

Depending on the OS, OS version, used software these can be called whatever the OS/software designers decided.

Followed your advice, I deleted the Service_Name in the first line on the Mac, it just said "Network Connection - Authentication failed" sad
BTW, my desktop environment is KDE. I installed my network manager through `pacman -S networkmanager`.

#17 2020-09-14 17:47:02

kodachi

Any helpful info will be welcome

#18 2020-09-14 18:09:03

Slithery
Administrator

Don't bump your post, it's against the rules...

CoC - Bumping

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#19 2020-09-14 20:33:17

Wild Penguin

kodachi wrote:

Followed your advice, I deleted the Service_Name in the first line on the Mac, it just said "Network Connection - Authentication failed" sad

I think I have given wrong information above. The file name in "your_provider" is indeed arbitrary, but the Service name is not (contrary to what I wrote previously). Sorry about this :-/ ...

The ac (=access concentrator) and service name are sometimes (but usually not!) required. That's why they are commented out in the wiki example. Moreover the ppp package doesn't come with clear/complete documentation, however it is quite easy to deduce what these options should mean (in case you are interested, rp-pppoe has more complete documentation, see /usr/share/doc).

So, try to put the same string you had (have) in Max OS in PPPoE Service name after "rp_pppoe_service" (in single quotes as per Wiki - however I would be surprised if double quotes didn't work, too). The other field (rp_pppoe_ac) is probably wrong to use in your case, and should be left commented. So something like:

# rp_pppoe_ac 'your ac name'
rp_pppoe_service 'your service name'

and fill in to <service name>.

In case this doesn't work, See journal (journalctl -f) while you are trying to connect for any possible error messages. Otherwise it is quesswork, and I suppose other pppoe users are in the minority these days.

kodachi wrote:

BTW, my desktop environment is KDE. I installed my network manager through `pacman -S networkmanager`.

Try to install plasma-nm if you haven't yet done that. It does seem to have options to create a ppp connection for you via a GUI (that includes pppoe).

Last edited by Wild Penguin (2020-09-14 20:35:51)

#20 2020-09-15 11:38:40

kodachi

Wild Penguin wrote:
kodachi wrote:

I think I have given wrong information above. The file name in "your_provider" is indeed arbitrary, but the Service name is not (contrary to what I wrote previously). Sorry about this :-/ ...

The ac (=access concentrator) and service name are sometimes (but usually not!) required. That's why they are commented out in the wiki example. Moreover the ppp package doesn't come with clear/complete documentation, however it is quite easy to deduce what these options should mean (in case you are interested, rp-pppoe has more complete documentation, see /usr/share/doc).

So, try to put the same string you had (have) in Max OS in PPPoE Service name after "rp_pppoe_service" (in single quotes as per Wiki - however I would be surprised if double quotes didn't work, too). The other field (rp_pppoe_ac) is probably wrong to use in your case, and should be left commented. So something like:

In case this doesn't work, See journal (journalctl -f) while you are trying to connect for any possible error messages. Otherwise it is quesswork, and I suppose other pppoe users are in the minority these days.

kodachi wrote:

Try to install plasma-nm if you haven't yet done that. It does seem to have options to create a ppp connection for you via a GUI (that includes pppoe).

Wild Penguin wrote:
kodachi wrote:

kodachi wrote:

How to get PPPoE through plasma-nm? May laptop is Dell XPS13 9360.
I don't have a network cable interface, so I use the adapter plug to connect, which is displayed as en0. The name of the other network card (the commonly used one) is wlp58s0. How to fill in the parent interface in the DSL / PPPoE interface? wlp58s or en0 or p2p-dev-wlp58s0 (automatically generated name)?

#21 2020-09-15 12:48:03

progandy

en0 should be the parent interface. wlp58s0 and p2p-dev-wlp58s0 is your wifi card.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer