You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-10 11:30:35

ask2

[request] XeTeX

Anyone know how to get xetex packaged?

If I had the skill I would be happy to do it but .....

There are rpms debs and source at

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page … m_id=XeTeX

A test version of the XeTeX typesetting system for Linux is now available. This provides the same Unicode and OpenType font support as the Mac OS X version (but not AAT font support).

XeTeX on Linux depends on an extended version of the DVIPDFMx driver by Shunsaku Hirata and Jin-Hwan Cho to generate PDF output. Special thanks to Jin-Hwan Cho for invaluable assistance in modifying this program to handle XeTeX's .xdv output. This work is still at a fairly early stage, and not all features are fully implemented yet.

#2 2007-02-06 01:27:40

ghee

Re: [request] XeTeX

i, in my noobieness, would also vote for a xetex pkg., if any more experienced user is feeling particularly compassionate.  wink  i'm unfortunately strapped for time right now, otherwise i'd explore building this pkg.

#3 2007-02-06 09:55:26

drakosha
Website

there's tetex, maybe it's good enough for you?

#4 2007-02-06 10:20:28

arooaroo
Website

Xetex is an addon to Latex, IIRC, with support for various standard font types like TTF and better unicode handling. Hmm... I may have a go at a PKGBUILD myself this evening, if no one else has started an attempt by then. I've been meaning to try it out for a while, so here's my chance.

#5 2007-02-06 16:36:36

codemac
Website

If you've been following the ML, there are some tenative plans to bring TexLive2007 to arch.  I'm guessing we'd have a tetex, texlive, and a xetex package.  Is there any reason to combine any of these?

#6 2007-02-06 23:10:55

arooaroo
Website

codemac wrote:

If you've been following the ML, there are some tenative plans to bring TexLive2007 to arch.  I'm guessing we'd have a tetex, texlive, and a xetex package.  Is there any reason to combine any of these?

Tetex is being depreciated in favour of TeXLive (http://www.tug.org/tetex/), so AL's texlive package should replace tetex completely.

My gut instinct tells me to advocate having xetex as a separate package.

#7 2007-02-07 02:14:54

ghee

arooaroo wrote:

My gut instinct tells me to advocate having xetex as a separate package.

I agree.  XeTeX is, as they say, LaTeX "for the rest of the world," because it does such a good job of handling unicode fonts and complex text layouts.  (Finally, our TeX docs in character sets like Devanagari or CJK will be searchable--glory be!).  Still, since XeTeX already exists as an add-on package, it would seem to fit the "Arch way" better to keep it separate, so that those who have no use for it will not have to run a bulkier TeX system than they need.

#8 2007-02-07 10:42:44

[vEX]

Is there any difference between teTex and TeXLive from the user point? I don't really care which package is used as long as my LaTeX documents keep looking nice.

PC: Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | GeForce 450GTS | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux x86_64
HTPC: Antec NSK2480 | ASUS M3A78-EM (AMD 780G) | AMD Athlon X3 425 | 8GB DDR2 | GeForce G210 | 2TB HDD | Arch Linux x86_64
Server: Raspberry Pi (model B) | 512MB RAM | 750GB HDD | Arch Linux ARM

#9 2007-02-08 00:56:10

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

There was a discussion about tetex/texlive in the ML recently.  From what I understood from the ML thread, texlive is basically a modularized version of tetex with additionnal packages so there should be any difference.  You might check the archive for more info.

#10 2007-07-30 10:05:07

gour

arooaroo wrote:

Xetex is an addon to Latex, IIRC, with support for various standard font types like TTF and better unicode handling. Hmm... I may have a go at a PKGBUILD myself this evening, if no one else has started an attempt by then. I've been meaning to try it out for a while, so here's my chance.

Any news on Xetex? I'm a 2 days-old refugee from Gentoo where xetex is available, but still need some time to become somewhat familiar
with PKGBUILDs wink

I'm also looking forward to see TexLive & Lyx-1.5.0 available roll

Sincerely,
Gour

#11 2007-07-31 09:59:02

attila

Anyone know how to get xetex packaged?

Take a look at this thread http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=31839

#12 2007-10-11 10:03:52

Stefan Husmann

Snowman wrote:

There was a discussion about tetex/texlive in the ML recently.  From what I understood from the ML thread, texlive is basically a modularized version of tetex with additionnal packages so there should be any difference.  You might check the archive for more info.

No, that statement would lead peaople to incorrect conclusions.

TeXlive was originally born to have a cd or (later, as it was grown) a dvd for running tex and friends without need to install it on harddisk. It was using a lot of scripting and ideas coming from teTeX. But it allways had the idea to be much more comprehensive than teTeX.

TeTeX was made over ten years ago for having an comparable easy to install TeX-system for unix-like platforms. In this long time it was growing (it started with 5 diskettes), as Thomas Esser put in every kind of useful part that was freely available.

TeXlive has something like modules, but some of these modules tend to be bigger or as big as the whole TeTeX. Maybe the modularisation gets further in future. And all binaries are in one of these modules.

arooaroo wrote:

Its the other way arount: LaTeX is on top of XeTeX, as it is on TeX, pdftex, aleph, omega... It was develped on a Mac with the idea to get rid of the difficulties in preparing fonts which are already installed in the OS for TeX.

By the way, XeTeX is now included in TeXlive. I do not use it, because if I am right it has not got the nice features of pdftex (font expansion).

vEX wrote:

Is there any difference between teTex and TeXLive from the user point? I don't really care which package is used as long as my LaTeX documents keep looking nice.

Depends on you. If you just write documents in european languages, or do not need enhancements (there will be no further develeopment on teTeX), teTeX will be fine for you. But f.i. vietnameeze people will think different.

#13 2007-10-11 16:19:33

Blind

TeXLive supposedly produces better PDF outputs with images. There was a thread somewhere showing the differences.
Also, TeXLive in the meanwhile has been put into community (thanks to the big efforts of Firmicus). It is free for you to try out.
Cheers,
Blind

#14 2007-10-11 16:27:21

moose jaw

Also, TeXLive in the meanwhile has been put into community (thanks to the big efforts of Firmicus).

Yes, and the texlive-core package in community includes XeTeX, so you should be able to get it there without packaging it separately in AUR.

#15 2007-10-12 10:54:53

Stefan Husmann

Blind wrote:

TeXLive supposedly produces better PDF outputs with images. There was a thread somewhere showing the differences.
Also, TeXLive in the meanwhile has been put into community (thanks to the big efforts of Firmicus). It is free for you to try out.
Cheers,
Blind

It was the thread attila did post a link to above.

#16 2007-10-13 09:59:37

awagner

Just for reference, and IIUC, XeTeX is a TeX engine as is TeX itself, and so are pdftex, omega, aleph etc.. Each of these have one or more special needs to fulfil, XeTeX being known for "native" utf and opentype support (pdftex for font expansion/protrusion). LaTeX is a set of Macros on top of TeX, and the same set exists for the other engines: xelatex, pdflatex, lambda, lamed, ... (Another set would be ConTeXt - which is bound to pdf(e)tex.)

All of these are on TeXlive...

The only thing which isn't (I think) is LuaTex, the successor to pdftex and aleph. It, too, provides unicode and opentype support, but is considered experimental (bleeding edge IOW, and thus should be a good fit for AL...).

Last edited by awagner (2007-10-13 10:01:28)

#17 2007-10-16 16:45:03

Stefan Husmann

awagner wrote:

Just for reference, and IIUC, XeTeX is a TeX engine as is TeX itself, and so are pdftex, omega, aleph etc.. Each of these have one or more special needs to fulfil, XeTeX being known for "native" utf and opentype support (pdftex for font expansion/protrusion). LaTeX is a set of Macros on top of TeX, and the same set exists for the other engines: xelatex, pdflatex, lambda, lamed, ... (Another set would be ConTeXt - which is bound to pdf(e)tex.)

All of these are on TeXlive...

The only thing which isn't (I think) is LuaTex, the successor to pdftex and aleph. It, too, provides unicode and opentype support, but is considered experimental (bleeding edge IOW, and thus should be a good fit for AL...).

All true.

LuaTeX has gon beta recently. It uses, as its name may suggest, an integrated Lua-Interpreter.

#18 2007-10-16 18:13:43

awagner

Stefan Husmann wrote:

LuaTeX has gon beta recently. It uses, as its name may suggest, an integrated Lua-Interpreter.

I've been fiddling around with installing it but didn't quite succeed. Compiling from svn worked, but apparently it needs some environment set up... which is currently part of conTeXt's development environment. (Error along the lines "Couldn't generate luatex formats") The context-dev mailing list is also the place where discussion about luatex is happening -- IIUC. I am really looking for to it, but ATM can't afford to break my texlive setup, because I'm finishing a thesis.

Anyone with more success?

Here's my attempt so far:
PKGBUILD

# Contributor: Andreas Wagner <A.Wagner@stud.uni-frankfurt.de>

pkgname=luatex-svn
pkgver=793
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A TeX typesetting system, successor to pdftex, with embedded lua interpreter"
url="http://luatex.org/"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
makedepends=('subversion')
license=('GPL')
depends=(tetex)
conflicts=(luatex)
provides=(luatex)
install=${pkgname}.install
source=(http://minimals.contextgarden.net/minimals/linux/texmf-local/scripts/context/lua/luatools.lua
        http://minimals.contextgarden.net/minimals/linux/texmf-local/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua
        http://minimals.contextgarden.net/minimals/linux/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-en.tex
#       http://minimals.contextgarden.net/minimals/linux/texmf-local/tex/context/base/luat-env.tex
#       http://minimals.contextgarden.net/minimals/linux/texmf-local/tex/context/base/luat-env.lua
#       http://minimals.contextgarden.net/minimals/linux/texmf-local/tex/context/base/syst-pln.tex
#       http://minimals.contextgarden.net/minimals/linux/texmf-local/tex/context/base/syst-prm.tex
        luatex.sh)

_svntrunk=svn://scm.foundry.supelec.fr/svn/luatex/trunk
_svnmod=luatex

build() {
  cd $startdir/src

if [ -d $_svnmod/.svn ]; then
    (cd $_svnmod && svn up)
  else
    svn co $_svntrunk --config-dir ./ -r $pkgver $_svnmod
#    svn co $_svntrunk $_svnmod
  fi

msg "SVN checkout done or server timeout"
  msg "Starting make..."

cp -r $_svnmod $_svnmod-build
  cd $_svnmod-build

./build.sh
  install -dm755 ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin
  install -dm755 ${startdir}/pkg/etc/profile.d
  install -dm755 ${startdir}/pkg/var/cache/luatex
  install -m755 build/texk/web2c/luatex ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin
  ln -s /usr/bin/luatex ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/texlua
  ln -s /usr/bin/luatex ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/texluac
  install -Tm755 ${startdir}/src/luatools.lua ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/luatools
  install -Tm755 ${startdir}/src/mtxrun.lua ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/mtxrun
  install -m755 ${startdir}/src/luatex.sh ${startdir}/pkg/etc/profile.d
  install -m644 ${startdir}/src/cont-en.tex ${startdir}/pkg/opt/tex/tex-local/tex/context/base
}

md5sums=('d876c059f85af57593bf5e15e38df69e'
         'bf0bbe09a9d125e62b45bcf1503334cc'
         '8442e743e9ecf8d6fb30d45e95e90159'
         '072aed2c14db21ff09494605ed0acad9')

luatex-svn.install

# arg 1:  the new package version
post_install() {
    . /etc/profile.d/luatex.sh
    echo luatools --generate
    texexec --lua --all
#    echo luatools --ini --compile --verbose cont-en
    /bin/true
}

# arg 1:  the new package version
# arg 2:  the old package version
post_upgrade() {
  /bin/true
}

op=$1
shift
[ "$(type -t "$op")" = "function" ] && $op "$@"

# vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et:

luatex.sh

export TEXMFCACHE=/var/cache/luatex
export OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/TTF
export LUAINPUTS="{/opt/tex/texmf-local/scripts/context/lua,/opt/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base,/opt/tex/dvd/texmf-dist/scripts/context/lua}"

(this should be adjusted to your tetex's/texlive's paths)

and finally my /etc/profile.d/texlive.d

export MANPATH=$MANPATH:/opt/tex/dvd/texmf/doc/man
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/tex/dvd/bin/x86_64-linux
export TEXLIVE=/opt/tex/dvd
export TEXROOT=/opt/tex
export TEXMFCNF=/opt/tex/texmf-var/web2c

(probably needs adjustments, too)

As you can see I was playing around a bit with download from context-minimals (and some packages from context's homepage), but it didn't get me very far. Maybe someone wants to pursue this further?

Hmm. Should this be a new thread? roll

#19 2007-10-17 14:11:55

Stefan Husmann

awagner wrote:

I've been fiddling around with installing it but didn't quite succeed. Compiling from svn worked, but apparently it needs some environment set up... which is currently part of conTeXt's development environment. (Error along the lines "Couldn't generate luatex formats") The context-dev mailing list is also the place where discussion about luatex is happening -- IIUC. I am really looking for to it, but ATM can't afford to break my texlive setup, because I'm finishing a thesis.

Anyone with more success?

I didn't try yet.

Here's my attempt so far:
PKGBUILD

install -m644 ${startdir}/src/cont-en.tex ${startdir}/pkg/opt/tex/tex-local/tex/context/base
                                                                      ^      
                                                                      shoudn't it be texmf-local

luatex.sh

export TEXMFCACHE=/var/cache/luatex
export OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/TTF
export LUAINPUTS="{/opt/tex/texmf-local/scripts/context/lua,/opt/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base,/opt/tex/dvd/texmf-dist/scripts/context/lua}"

(this should be adjusted to your tetex's/texlive's paths)

Try to set these in /opt/tex/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

Hmm. Should this be a new thread? roll

Yes smile

Board footer