You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-17 14:15:05

ezacaria

[Solved]Automount options: big_writes for ntfs-3g

I started using a low-TDP CPU, and came to appreciate the speedup provided by passing "big_writes" to ntfs-3g. In the long term, I think I will convert the external disks to the exFat filesystem (when interoperability with windows is needed), since the CPU power does not block the performance as much as ntfs-3g. But in the meanwhile, I am stuck with finding how to pass the additional option to the automounters.

I can use the option if mounting manually (i.e., I am not affected by the problem reported in this old thread), but have trouble with udevil and thunar-volman.

In short:

• I cannot find where I can specify the additional option in thunar-volman. I will try to put it in "/etc/udisks2/mount_options.conf" as suggested in this other old thread.

• There is a problem with udevil, which fails with message "denied 90: option big_writes is not an allowed option". I checked the source code, and it seems that it would be simple to allow it (i.e., add it in the "#define ALLOWED_OPTIONS" add to the allowed_options in the configuration file). But the question is whether or not there is a valid reason to exclude it?

Last edited by ezacaria (2020-09-17 18:04:11)

#2 2020-09-17 14:37:25

ezacaria

Re: [Solved]Automount options: big_writes for ntfs-3g

Found a solution for the first one.

For thunar-volman, it was enough to create the file "/etc/udisks2/mount_options.conf" based on the existing "/etc/udisks2/mount_options.conf.example", where "big_writes" is added to "ntfs_defaults" and "defaults" are as in the default udevil configuration (noexec,nodev,nosuid,noatime)

cat /etc/udisks2/mount_options.conf
# This file contains custom mount options for udisks 2.x
# Typically placed at /etc/udisks2/mount_options.conf
# Refer to http://storaged.org/doc/udisks2-api/latest/mount_options.html
#

### Simple global overrides
[defaults]
# common options, applied to any filesystem, always merged with specific filesystem type options
defaults=noexec,nodev,nosuid,noatime
allow=exec,noexec,nodev,nosuid,atime,noatime,nodiratime,ro,rw,sync,dirsync,noload

### Specific filesystem type options
# vfat_defaults=uid=$UID,gid=$GID,shortname=mixed,utf8=1,showexec,flush
# vfat_allow=uid=$UID,gid=$GID,flush,utf8,shortname,umask,dmask,fmask,codepage,iocharset,usefree,showexec
ntfs_defaults=uid=$UID,gid=$GID,windows_names,big_writes
ntfs_allow=uid=$UID,gid=$GID,umask,dmask,fmask,locale,norecover,ignore_case,windows_names,compression,nocompression,big_writes

And then, restart the udisks2 service.

For the udevil issue, I am thinking simply making a local patch and recompiling. Unless somebody comes up with a good reason not to use those "big_writes" smile

Last edited by ezacaria (2020-09-17 17:54:25)

#3 2020-09-17 18:00:47

ezacaria

Re: [Solved]Automount options: big_writes for ntfs-3g

For the udevil configuration, modifying allowed_options and default_options_ntfs is enough:

egrep big_w /etc/udevil/udevil.conf
default_options_ntfs      = nosuid, noexec, nodev, noatime, fmask=0133, uid=$UID, gid=$GID, utf8, big_writes
allowed_options           = nosuid, noexec, nodev, noatime, fmask=0133, dmask=0022, uid=$UID, gid=$GID, ro, rw, sync, flush, iocharset=*, utf8, remount, big_writes

Board footer